London Festival of Railway Modelling - Alexandra Palace, London

Dicky W

I shall be there on the Saturday on the BRM stand taking flak fielding questions on anything RMweb related.

Didn't get a chance to say hello at Nottingham, you were either very popular or absent whenever I looked.

I'll try again this weekend! (don't worry, no flak from me)

Andy

It seems a lot of folk will be making a bee-line for Lime Street at the weekend but I would like to suggest that you take the time to track down t-b-g operating the late Rev. Peter Denny's 'Leighton Buzzard' (Stand 176 roughly in the middle of the West Hall on the corner by the BRM Theatre).

I literally only had 5 minutes to take it in again at Nottingham yesterday but it's not just characterful, gorgeous and operationally excellent - Tony and the girls have it running like an absolute dream. Well done that man.

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm more likely to go on the Saturday. Although I model US and European railways there are some UK models I'm really looking forward to seeing, especially Leighton Buzzard. Perhaps a kind child will lend me their step stool so I can see Lime Street!

Tony

After suddenly being one man down on the operating crew for New Hey, we are today back to full complement - There probably arent any other layouts in the show that a member of the operating crew is being helicoptered off his ship in the North Sea to come and play trains at Ally Pally!

Come and say hello to us, avoid the crowds at Lime Street!

Latest news from the London Festival of Railway Modelling 2012

Due to unforeseen circumstances Michael Ball will be unable to attend The London Festival of Railway Modelling. The author and former signalman David Larkin will now be giving the theatre demonstration ‘Signalling, From Prototype To Model’ and answering your questions on Saturday and Sunday in the BRM Theatre.

• RMweb Gold
Due to unforeseen circumstances Michael Ball will be unable to attend The London Festival of Railway Modelling.

Thats a shame, I was looking forward to hearing his rendition of Love changes everything......

Oh, wait......thats not the right Michael Ball is it.......

Tom. :D

• RMweb Premium

It seems a lot of folk will be making a bee-line for Lime Street at the weekend but I would like to suggest that you take the time to track down t-b-g operating the late Rev. Peter Denny's 'Leighton Buzzard' (Stand 176 roughly in the middle of the West Hall on the corner by the BRM Theatre).

I literally only had 5 minutes to take it in again at Nottingham yesterday but it's not just characterful, gorgeous and operationally excellent - Tony and the girls have it running like an absolute dream. Well done that man.

Thanks for the kind comments Andy.

Sometimes we do run on a bit of a wing and a prayer but with a lot of "TLC" the layout and the stock behave more often than not.

Looking at the hall plan we back onto Liverpool Lime Street, so there will be a very historic layout, with just about the most primitive control systems imaginable, right next door to a layout that is writing a bit of history now, with the most advanced contol sytems I have ever seen. A nice contrast, showing two completely opposite ways to run layouts.

The girls will be absent for this one. One was otherwise engaged and they only go to shows in twos!

So the team will be myself, Ken Hill, Pete Hill (no relation despite the matching facial hair) and "Buccaneer" John McCrea. We have also been promised some help from young Samuel, who has had sessions on the controls at a couple of previous shows and done a cracking good job!

I hope the layout travels well. It doesn't always as it wasn't designed for moving around. We did have a few minor problems at Nottingham but we were able to work around them without it being obvious. Repairs have been completed and everything serviced, so we are as ready as we can be.

Electrics checked, locos serviced, kit checked and packed..all seems well..... its bound to go wrong now?

A brisk tootle south early Friday interrupted by several brews should see us in 'our nations capital' for lunchtime.....

Oh and if there's a viaduct on one end of Long line? then we've manage to pinch an extra 4ft space... fingers crossed... its a big hall they'l never notice?

Cheers and see you all soon,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I am told Westcliffe is ready to go (in the pub last night), we leave at lunchtime. Having brunch with SWMBO this morning to gain back some brownie points for 2 more full weekends away at Wigan and Warley plus Expo EM and Scaleforum. If Limestreet is busy come along and rest amongst the quiet atmosphere of Dorset Sun Sea and Shingle.

Dave

Archived