London Festival of Railway Modelling - Alexandra Palace, London

Dicky W

I think the no photography sign, IIRC said "No Commercial Photography"... didn't think that would apply to us!

A good day... helped, of course by the sunshine and nice atmoshere inside the great hall. Found myself bumping into many that I knew... and it was nice to finally meet "the Andy". Briefly joined the 1pm gaggle, but had to go catch up with little bro and dad... before they got lost in the west hall ;) . Bought some hopefully useful bits n pieces and after a brief chat with Dapol Dave I will placing a pre-order for a well discussed (on here) item tonight.

I was Interested to see what Brian Hanson had done with the Heljan "O" Class 55 body - it can be "improved"... with a fair degree of work though. ... but it's possibly an option for the OO DP2 (but I'll not go there). Always nice to have a chat there too.

Thought Lime Street looked superb... but only from a distance, the allowed viewing point. Possibly a problem with such a large layout. One to definately come back to as it nears completion. Loved the cars running along the roads!

My Dad picked up a Bach 105 that he was very happy with... so all in all a very good day.

Just hope the feet recover before I support the wife and kids on the Brighton mile tomorrow.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Last ones!!

post-6910-0-89540800-1332615545_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-88188500-1332615606_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-83479700-1332615655_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-80389100-1332615751_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-49027100-1332615843_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-46461500-1332615873_thumb.jpg

Sorry - I forgot to take one of the solitary 'No Photography' sign but I am sure one of the hundreds if not thousands of other cameras there got a shot of it!! :mosking:

Enjoyed myself today and bought sixties diesel and electric days 3 for 25 quid. I thought there were a few bargains to be had and it didn't seem as busy as other years and on the whole a good show. I was most impressed by the sound fitted class 37 on MSW and Liverpool Lime st looked fantastic albeit from a distance!!

Steve. B.

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed my visit to the show today. Lime Street really is a sight to behold! Managed to restrain myself to only essential items too, although I almost wobbled slightly at the Dapol stand.

Good to have a brief chat with Andy Y & Missy of this Parish too. Some very impressive etch work on display on the 2mm Scale Association stand :)

All in all, another excellent show this year.

Tom.

(I'm sure that hill gets steeper, but with nice weather there was no way I was sitting on a bus!)

A good and tiring day for me. After realising that the flying saucer at Kings Cross was the roof of the new concourse I set about the trek to Ally Pally. This was hampered by wires down near Biggleswade which stopped my train for Finsbury Park leaving Kings Cross and by the suspension of the Victoria Line which marooned me at Highbury. Fortunately the 19 and W3 buses performed to get me to the venue for 9.30. It took 20 minutes for the advance ticket queue to clear which is no improvement on past years.

This year was an improvement on last in that I managed not to leave my purchases on Hubert Carr's trade stand. Missy's etches were amazing, no, make that stunning. The RMweb meet was good fun and it is always reassuring to find that ones views are not totally ones own. To find real ale on sale in the hall was interesting but not sufficiently so to tempt my discerning palate [whaddya mean, snob?]

Some layouts appealed to me more than others - step forward Burntisland, Liverpool Lime Street and New Hey to name but three. One, best not named, came across as more control system than layout. Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same taste.

Boy do my feet ache.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pix - seems that we who couldn't get there missed a good show. At least some of us oop norf who couldn't get there had a little consolation in seeing Oliver Cromwell working the Edinburgh - Manchester steam special (well Max Stafford and I did anyway)

Also returned from a very good show. It was my first time at the RM meet and was good to actually put faces etc.. to the names I normally only see here.

I also met up with several exhibitors and Traders who have been at our exhibition in the past, or who are coming this year, or have said they will come to a future one. I now have to do a load of emails to confirm those I invited today!

Was Very impressed with the overall roof of Lime Street, and was interested to see (when I finally got there) the screens that show on the control panel the various parts of the station that wouldn't otherwise have been visible to the operators. Also spent some time at the excellent Leighton Buzzard stand, which is not to say I didn't enjoy viewing all the other layouts present - I did. Great show!

Chris R

As a balance I have to say I have mixed feelings about the exhibition. There were some great layouts (esp. Lime St.) and some real shockers, but the traders were pumping out the same old stuff, there was very little new there.

As a balance I have to say I have mixed feelings about the exhibition. There were some great layouts (esp. Lime St.) and some real shockers, but the traders were pumping out the same old stuff, there was very little new there.

Remember that London has almost no model shops left. Hence to a large extent it's irrelevant whether the traders have something new for the show or not - its one of the few opportunities for Londoners to see products in the flesh and buy them there and then. Otherwise it's mail-order from a website or a magazine listing.

My impression was that the layouts as a whole were much stronger than last year and there were a considerable number of fine ones . The sheer excellence of Leighton Buzzard, seen in the flesh, hasn't perhaps been emphasised enough. This is probably the best new branch terminus I've seen on the circuit in recent years . The stock is very unusual and early to a very high standard (A EM branch run by Sacre locos with a LDEC tank thrown in - ? the sort of thing you'd make a beeline for anyway) . You'd be putting it straight up against something like Leamington MRS's Clarendon - and on atmosphere and the fact the stock's all scratchbuilt I might just give it the edge. A large part of the structure work looked as good as anything in the show. It was running very smoothly indeed

And then you realise this is a historic museum piece, 40 years old or more. The main station building last appeared at the London show 60 years ago (in 1952, on Buckingham) - and it still looks pretty good. I hadn't realised just how good Peter Denny was - how much he achieved in some many areas and how innovative yes, but not quite how high the standard was - judged against todays finescale

I attended today, a better show than last year in my opinion. Personal favourites were Liverpool Lime Street ( now theres a surprise ) and Driffield. Little dissapointed at the lack of modern image layouts, or did i miss them. Managed to get all the bits i needed plus a couple of bargains from the box shifters. Didn't make it to the RM web meet as i was too tired by then and had gone home ( terrible journey along the A10 ) and yes that hill does get steeper, or is it age.

I'm going to be there tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it hugely, but for the first time I will be taking my eldest -- a concession for the sake of domestic harmony. She is only two and a half and very excited. We shall see. Is there much for the little ones this year? I know there has been in the past.

Richard

Really enjoyed today too (although having only arrived at 10:30 and attended two of the lectures I perhaps didn't get quite enough time to give everything the study it deserved - with hindsight I'd havs skipped the signalling lecture - nothing particularly wrong with the lecture, it was just a little too basic for me, probably due to the last minute change in speaker - and spent more time looking round instead).

Joe Kyte's lecture was very informative and useful and I enjoyed meeting so many of you at the Warners' stand.

I'll upload photos when I've had some sleep - only got in about an hour ago having spent the evening watching The Ladykillers @ Gielgud Theatre.

Uh oh, A10 problems don't bode well :(

The 'no photography' signs have been up for around 4-5 years now, I well remember the discussion it caused the year it first appeared (someone who was setting up on the Friday took the first photo of it). I think it might have been when Warners started their involvement, but as has been said, I don't think anyone takes any notice of it. Or to put it another way, I've never seen anyone being told to adhere to it.

• RMweb Premium

Had a really good day yesterday and it was great to meet fellow RMWebbers and Andy. Some cracking layouts there, too many to list, but without a doubt the one that impressed me most was Burntisland. Wow.

I also didn't go purchase crazy for once, only buying a few back-issues and subscription to MRJ and some embossed SE Finecast plastikard. The girlfriend was as surprised about this as I was :)

How come I got the cabbie from Euston who seemed to have dipped out on his knowledge exams with no idea where Ally Pally was?

I had a long, busy but really enjoyable day down at the show yesterday. Having spent the busiest parts of the day at the busiest spot by the entrance I have to say the exhibition, despite being busy, never felt unduly crowded with people under your feet. The MRC had put together a very good range of layout exhibits and the West Hall was particularly good. Personally I enjoyed getting to see David Barham's 'Fen End Pit' for real and from the operational side. David had said kids kept coming back for a look at his ingenious working dragline sand excavator; it would have certainly appealed to me as a kid who played with Tonka toys in the dirt. Talking of kids 'Leighton Buzzard' seemed to have acquired a highly capable young visitor as an operator who Tony Gee was very impressed with. The usual crew were thus relegated to behind the scenes work as the young lad kept the crowds entertained.

It was a pleasure to see the gentlemen of Lime Street again too; it's evident from the picture above and the number of people who came back to the stand to say they couldn't get near it that it was very high in the popularity stakes as was the Burntisland empire.

I did disappear from the stand for a couple of hours in the afternoon to take a look around and chat to folk so if I missed you at the stand; my apologies.

Oh, and matrix004.gif

How come I got the cabbie from Euston who seemed to have dipped out on his knowledge exams with no idea where Ally Pally was?n

Oh, and matrix004.gif

'Cos he knew you were an out of towner and probably took you from Euston via Crystal Palace and Chelsea to the Ally Pally!

Best, Pete.

'Cos he knew you were an out of towner and probably took you from Euston via Crystal Palace and Chelsea to the Ally Pally!

I did wonder if that was his game Pete when he asked me if I knew where AP was. I'd said "yes" and he then claimed he didn't know and could I guide him. Having established he was from sarf of the river I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I asked him if he knew where Muswell Hill was to which I got an affirmative so I told him to head that way and I'd talk him through. The LFRM AA signs started to show up around Archway which saved me a job.

Quite! Only ever spotted at Ally Pally?

Ah, the penny has dropped! I suddenly caught sight of the gent in question and thought the the grim reaper had come for me.

Quite an extrovert character for our US modellers and seen at many shows around the South.

Archived