London Festival of Railway Modelling - Alexandra Palace, London

Dicky W

As predicted my earlier post heralded a minor disaster.... nipped into workshop Friday early am, to collect the long cassettes only to find them missing... twenty minutes of panic failed to locate them as departure time arrived... My thanks go to the 'long liners' for managing without them and the resultant overfilling of the others by yours truly.

Many thanks to Nick and the Warner's team for making our visit a pleasure.

I believe they had a good weekend... not that I saw much of it... as aching barrier syndrome saw to that...two deep from opening until half four on Saturday, and although Sunday was quieter early on.. it soon perked up to be another busy day-audience wise right upto the close.

cheers

Mark

OK help time? (pretty please...)

In the West Hall there was a small stand, no.124, which is shown on the plan in the Guide, but no details given. Any ideas? The guy there was demonstrating an interesting moint motor that replaces Peco type with a similar sized rotary version. I noticed he had a web address, but didn't bother to record it as I thought it would be in the guide.... :no:

Stewart

Did you miss a certain 2-8-0 by some chance? It was there.

I don't think Hornby are necessarily worse than they were (and maybe they can't get the trailer into that hall?) it's just that the others seem to have leapt past them in out & out appeal beyond the trainset. Dapol for instance didn't have a vast amount of display space but there was some 'exciting' stuff in it and someone (i.e. David Jones) right next to it to fly the flag and walk the talk. Bachmann have lots of display space compared with Hornby but the latter put a senior man up (i.e. Simon Kohler) who seems to be perpetually engaged in talking to his company's customers - maybe they're doing something right but need to up their approach on displays of new stuff?

Just to provide some perspective, Hornby's stand was the best from my 3-year-old's perspective because they actually had trains running. Bachmann and Dapol couldn't compete with that - given that Hornby still provide the way in for so many future modellers maybe their strategy is not so bad

OK help time? (pretty please...)

In the West Hall there was a small stand, no.124, which is shown on the plan in the Guide, but no details given. Any ideas? The guy there was demonstrating an interesting moint motor that replaces Peco type with a similar sized rotary version. I noticed he had a web address, but didn't bother to record it as I thought it would be in the guide.... :no:

Stewart

I think that was the Fawn Electronics stand showing the 'Little Jemmy' point motor. Designed by the owner it is available a s a kit of parts with different mounting plates available. He does have a web site but there is not much on it that I can see.

Try looking at http://www.fawn-elec...uk/Products.php

Hope this helps

ps. You could also follow this topic. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/39544-little-jemmy-point-motor/

I think that was the Fawn Electronics stand showing the 'Little Jemmy' point motor. Designed by the owner it is available a s a kit of parts with different mounting plates available. He does have a web site but there is not much on it that I can see.

Try looking at http://www.fawn-elec...uk/Products.php

Hope this helps

ps. You could also follow this topic. http://www.rmweb.co....my-point-motor/

Thats the one! Many thanks.

Stewart

On a minor point, mentioned here earlier, the 'no photography' signs are always there - they're from 'Ally Pally' management themselves, who don't like photos being taken of the interior of the palace, especially the Palm Court; it didn't relate to the actual exhibition at all.

We, that is the BRM and Warners' exhibitions teams, had a fantastic weekend at the Show and would all like to thank exhibitors, traders and visitors and of course The Model Railway Club.

Next year The London Festival of Railway Modelling will be held on 23rd and 24th March 2013, where we'll have a different BRM stand incorporating a RMweb meet and greet area. See you all there!

• RMweb Gold

A subtle way of getting us out of the way. :laugh:

Possibly because in one image above you have the proprietorial air of a pub landlord. All it needed was a couple of hand pumps on the counter! :drinks: Perhaps that's a sponsorship opportunity for next year...

(That's me barred from the RMweb Arms for life ).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived