London Festival of Railway Modelling - Alexandra Palace, London

Dicky W

• RMweb Premium

Bus Stop 'A' in Station Road (confusingly called Broadway - see link below!). Exit Wood Green, cross the road directly ahead then cross again. The free bus link is usually operated with coaches that are pretty obvious and are labelled up in the windscreen. London Transport bus route W3 to the 'Palm Court' stop also will take you there from the same stop.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/tfl-bus-map/text/stopinfo.aspx?s=11763&r=184

hi all

this is will be my first visit can some please tell where the shuttle bus leaves from out side of wood green station

thanks john

Right opposite. Come out of the stn and cross over the main road (it's a big junction.... cross again and you'll be at the bus stop. If in doubt, just follow the types who look like they're headed in the same direction.

Bus Stop 'A' in Station Road (confusingly called Broadway - see link below!). Exit Wood Green, cross the road directly ahead then cross again. The free bus link is usually operated with coaches that are pretty obvious and are labelled up in the windscreen. London Transport bus route W3 to the 'Palm Court' stop also will take you there from the same stop.

http://www.tfl.gov.u...x?s=11763&r=184

Not the W8 then?

• RMweb Premium

Definitely W3 according to TfL's website. Mind you Boris and his minions seem to change the buses in London so frequently now I am amazed anyone knows where they are going anymore!!

Just in case its been missed, I'll repeat my earlier post. Finsbury Park has better services by train, so it might help.

If anyone needs an easy route , try the bus from Finsbury Park station. Stop B at the Wells Terrace end of the station (ie west of the ECML, the Tube entrance). Bus W3 takes about 20 mins to reach Ally Pally, stops outside the door, no hill to climb.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Right opposite. Come out of the stn and cross over the main road (it's a big junction.... cross again and you'll be at the bus stop. If in doubt, just follow the types who look like they're headed in the same direction.

Not the W8 then?

thanks for the info

The German Railway Society stand is now ready. If you are passing stand 98, please say hello. I am there both days and Bill is there on Sunday. I will also try and get over to the Warners stand at about 1pm tomorrow.

Now to get some sleep.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

There was a 'No Photography' sign outside the entrance in the Palm Court but everyone just ignored it from what I could see!!

Pluses:

Good selection of traders, some nice discounts to be found on the box shifters.

Nice broad spectrum of scales/eras in layouts.

Bachmann Scrum slightly more subdued this year.

Catering reasonably decent

Less mobility scooters than last year!

Announcement of a Class 73 in OO from Dapol!!!!!

The forthcoming goodies in the Bachmann and Hornby cabinets!

Minuses:

Lighting still a bit pants in the West Hall

Alledged photography ban - no one took the slightest notice of it!

Chickened out of going to meet Andy Y!

The same traders of "Collectibles" which translated comes out as "Obsolete junk, and associated tat, same stuff as last year just with the price tickets re-written"

Spending way too much money...

Queue jumpers at opening time, some sneaky goings on were observed!!

Oh by the way, did I imagine it or was there some strange fellow in a ponytail wig, fake moustache and glasses at the show? A Mod in disguise?

• RMweb Gold

just follow the types who look like they're headed in the same direction.

is that with or without rucksacks? ooops sorry Mods to mention the 'R' word...:lol:

A few photos posted from the show would be very welcome...:yes:

Oh by the way, did I imagine it or was there some strange fellow in a ponytail wig, fake moustache and glasses at the show? A Mod in disguise?

No you didn't imagine it. Saw him a few times. Rod Stewart? Roger Daltrey? Pete Waterman or another celeb modeller?

On the other hand, it could have been for a bet... :D

• RMweb Gold

Good show, plenty of nice folk to meet and have a natter with (many of whom appear on RMweb :D of course), an excellent variety of layouts and hard to pick a vaourite but Burntisland was very interesting to say the least; the crowd in front Leighton Buzzard - Linslade was nearly as deep as the one in front of Lime St; Missy latest etches were well worth stopping and examining with an excellent yard crane jib assembled and the very interesting makings of a GWR 'City' under development; massive trade presence of course although we ignored a large chunk of it but still managed to buy one ex GCR loco (Bachmann have reduced the price - interesting) and pre-order another, in GCR livery, loco which came as a not very surprising surprise; the Dapol 4mm scale signals looked pretty good in their showcase and the GWR version should come out quite nicely with a little bit of work (as should the tubular post UQ ones for them as like that sort of thing).

For those who haven't seen it MI3 looks superb although it does come with a more than a hint of the dry side.

Price - reasonable for what you got, crowds not too bad except around two layouts in particular, catering not sampled, found somewhere to sit for a short while, exhibition guide - not the best I have come across but excellent value for money (freebie). Overall - worth the trip.

Really enjoyed browsing the show. Lots of variety, or so it seemed to me, but there again I've not been for a couple of years, so it all felt quite fresh. lovely weather too, but coffee was a let down. They only had Maxi Packs, and it would nice to be able to buy freshly ground coffee.

Archived