Sir A. Conan Doyle was one of the people responsible for popularizing Shooting Clubs.  It was because of the appalling performance compared to the Boers during that war. The idea was to form a corps of sharp-shooters.

My club at Harrow was formed in 1908. 

Best, Pete.

Hi dmustu this is a quote from Kit Spackman who was tilt engineer on the APT-E across on the APT-E thread

Yes, that's Hartley House on the opposite side of the road to the main bit of the RTC. It was the centre for the Scientific Services Divsion when I was there, and my wife worked there for a bit too.

That's good to know, Thanks.

Point of interest, regarding the theatre under Waterloo. Is that the present day  theatre next door to the Drain depot, or was it somewhere else? My "office" is next door to the present theatre, if fact the emergency exit comes through our premises.

Stewart

• Like 1

Sir A. Conan Doyle was one of the people responsible for popularizing Shooting Clubs.  It was because of the appalling performance compared to the Boers during that war. The idea was to form a corps of sharp-shooters.

My club at Harrow was formed in 1908. 

Best, Pete.

In the 1970s when I was a student living in Brighton, there was a public rifle range undeneath the now almost completely vanished West Pier. My recollection is that the entrance was in the first set of buildings after the entrance and it ran beneath the boardwalks with the targets at the seaward end. I think the rifles were the same .22 Lee Enfield training rifles that we'd had at school. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still a few on the South Central side platforms at London Victoria clicking away though.  The ones at London Bridge have now gone though during the transformation into the plastic turd that is has now become.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still a load of circular signs outside Leeds city station platform 1 approaches advocating 'North Sea Gas' , 'Opencast Coal', one with an intercity swallow on, another with Wallace Arnold (coaches) and lastly Leeds Bradford Airport which has Concorde and an old biplane on

Must date back to the late 80s/ 90s surely!

Also, anyone spotted the phantom lift shaft on p1 at Leeds from the Parcels and Mail days? It used to lead up to an over bridge to Wellington street sorting office. Now demolished,there is a signpost to 'Royal Mail' still visible in the taxi/ drop off turning circle outside the 'new entrance' by the long stay car park at Leeds which has had a white vinyl sticker put on it to obscure the fact it was torn down years ago...

There's also an old mural to WYPTE Metro branded trains at Shipley which includes an artistic depiction of a class 158 still visible, it's on the triangle junction for the line direct from Forster Square to Keighley/ Skipton. Can't remember the platform number...

Also, signs which have 'Great Northern Electrics' on them as a title at Moorgate above the escalators down to the old BR platforms from the old BedPan terminating lines and the City, Hammersmith and Met platforms...

Paragon

• Like 5

A couple of old gradient signs I spotted while cycling the route of the old Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin railway.  This first one near the start of the cyclepath where it crosses Lasswade Road:

gallery_23983_3473_374104.jpg

Why the cycle path doesn't continue further east is a bit of a mystery - the embankment certainly continues further but is very overgrown.  Instead you get dumped out on to Gilmerton Station Road, a derestricted semi-rural unclassified road which isn't much fun on a pushbike :(

The second was a few hundred yards after crossing the Bilston Glen Viaduct (itself a notable railway relic, of course, but hardly "forgotten"):

gallery_23983_3473_117912.jpg

(The direction I'd approached from was shown as "LEVEL".  I couldn't make out what the right-hand arm used to read, but I definitely needed to drop a couple of sprockets to maintain my usual pedalling cadence.) 

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not ghosts in the working railway, but a pair of concrete stiles on the Scarborough to Whitby line at Fylingthorpe. These are possibly ex-LNER? They have stood there since the line closed in 1965.

Apologies for the poor quality, these were clips from the camera on my bike.

post-9767-0-13628800-1475013768.jpgpost-9767-0-93702100-1475013768.jpg

• Like 4

I suppose it's a bit late to be mentioning this but, back in 1975 in London, at one end of a passageway connecting an Underground station with a BR terminal, there were a couple of disused ticket windows with a sign "LNER Tickets" above each of them.  It was probably Kings Cross, but at this distance in time, I'm not 100% sure.

• Like 2

LNWR buffers attached to a buffer stop in the parcel bay at Chester Station. Not sure if they are wagon or carriage ones but I doubt if they are ex loco. They are on a non-passenger line but units etc are stabled there regularly. Wouldn't like to hazard a guess when they were last compressed or the likely outcome of that occuring :butcher:

post-7179-0-98475000-1475282535_thumb.jpg

Rumours abound of replacement of the ones in the adjacent platform one with squishy ones but nothing for these old stagers. They must be about 100 years old!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure there are some ghosts here - hiding in the shadows at foot of the steps of one of the two existing footbridges over the LNWR mainline over the Pennines - at Heyrod.

post-12815-0-95149400-1484084649_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the graininess but this was taken last weekend, with my phone, during heavy mist we call drizzle!

Kev.

..who is suspecting that this footbridge will be lost during the electrification of this Trans Pennine route..

• Like 1

Back in the summer last year I was working alongside the Lavender Line at Isfield putting in new footpaths and kerbs, when clearing the ground in preparation for the works I can across a drainage cover stamped with SR. Rather than replace it with a modern one (main contractor was being a little tight with the budget) I rebuilt the surround and moved the cover slightly to ensure it was in the new path and preserved. Once I can find where I put the pic I'll post up the one I took of the original position and when I get a chance I'll pop over to take a pic of it in it's new position.

• Like 1