The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Kim Jong-Il is dead

Mike at C&M

Let us hope that none of the recent tensions between North Korea and the rest of the world become inflammed.

Or, may Seoul* rest in peace?

He suffered a fatal heart attack while travelling on a train, apparently.

(*Yes, I know the difference between North and South Korea.)

• RMweb Gold

If the regime continues, which looks likely, I hope the succession goes smoothly.

The worst case scenario would be that his son is not accepted and so needs to do something 'drastic' to prove himself to the people.

A real worry for that part of the world.

Wasn't his son educated, in part, in the west? Perhaps that will rub off to an extent.

I think a change of leadership anywhere is an opportunity for all governments to seek closer diplomatic relations.

The question in NK is more who is really pulling the strings of power?

I dunno, the Chinese have done some sabre-rattling of their own recently - plus they have a brand spanking new super - carrier they are itching to use.

In the meantime the RMWeb foamers will be worried about getting their new locos in time....

Best, Pete.

A lot depends on the Chinese who would not tolerate more than a little sword rattling. In fact they might insist on some changes for the better.

The Chinese have a somewhat ambivalent attitude towards North Korea, which it sees as useful as providing a distraction for the West. However, China doesn't want North Korean citizens seeking refuge on Chinese soil, which is why it has returned almost all of the ones it has caught crossing the border.

• RMweb Gold

I dunno, the Chinese have done some sabre-rattling of their own recently - plus they have a brand spanking new super - carrier they are itching to use.

It's not shiny new. It's one the USSR built but never put any planes on. But we won't go there :)

Archived