Dapol Mk3 Buffet - they exist

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Hi Stu,

Most unusual, and something i'm not familiar with i'm afraid.

No one else has ,apparently, had this problem so i'd be interested to hear from others here if they have please?

I have a single spare here at HQ, please PM me your address and i'll get it off to you tomorrow.

cheers

Dave

Had a couple direct from the Dapol Shop

post-6883-0-43949400-1365614498_thumb.jpg

both the same, as the layout is nowhere near ready I had put them straight into storage with TFs & TSs so didn't notice/make the comparison... :swoon:

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update Dave. It's good to know that at somepoint I will have my complete HST (assuming I manage to get hold of the coaches I want and they don't sell out too quickly). (and a buffered buffet to complete my loco hauled Mk3 set).

I do find it suprising that you don't consider these Mk3s to be a big seller. Surely for every HST you sell you'll sell 4-8 Mk3s? I've got at least as many Dapol Mk3s as I have Farish ones and I'd have more if only they were available! :) From my own point of view, and in talking to other modellers, it's rather frustrating that there isn't a more regular feed of the coaches and wagons that Dapol produce. Surely it would be better to keep releasing small(ish) batches of models over a longer period of time rather than flooding the market for a couple of months and then nothing more for years & years?

If, for example, a wagon recovers its cost in the first 3000 models then producing another few hundred every year or two won't have a major impact on new models and will provide extra profit on tooling that's been paid for. Is there really no demand for BR liveried B Sets or olive green Dogfish?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The same PH Designs etches that are mentioned above have enough on them to do convert 2 Dapol Mk3 coaches into TGS variants. I'm hoping to start mine this week and will post progress on here when I do.

Hi all,

Here is a link to my TGS, as promised. I'd give myself a 6/10 and could do better I think!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69306-mike-ws-n-gauge-workbench/?p=1014433

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Had a couple direct from the Dapol Shop

attachicon.gifDSC00062.jpg

both the same, as the layout is nowhere near ready I had put them straight into storage with TFs & TSs so didn't notice/make the comparison... :swoon:

Regards, Gerry.

Had a good look at my FGW HST last night and this morning whilst making some new stock trays.

My FGW buffet FGW swirle and band is slightly different to the book set but can live with it.

However, the 1st class band is a lot thinner and amore creamy colour than the one on the 1st class coach in the book set. At least I can rectify this with some Fox transfers or careful masking and repainting

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Had a good look at my FGW HST last night and this morning whilst making some new stock trays.

My FGW buffet FGW swirle and band is slightly different to the book set but can live with it.

However, the 1st class band is a lot thinner and amore creamy colour than the one on the 1st class coach in the book set. At least I can rectify this with some Fox transfers or careful masking and repainting

I should have posted a comparison piccie previously, but there is a marked difference with both of mine:

post-6883-0-79187700-1366186310_thumb.jpg

The very minor variation in the book set and loose coaches I have is perfectly acceptable, however even my ability to overlook things isn't that far removed from reality with these buffets.

As Dapol themselves haven't any, as I mentioned I bought mine direct so there's no retailer to return them to for exchange, I'll hang on to them until we see a new batch I guess - as I also mentioned, it's not like I have the layout to run them on yet :senile:

Totally OT (but not OTT!), hope to see Banbury either at Railex and/or DEMU Showcase fitness to travel permitting - "Most Excellent" :blind:

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gerry

I will have my FGW set with me but I doubt we will be running it yet till theres more coaches for it. The stock tray has enough slots in it waiting to be filled though.

One plus point that I hadnt noticed till this morning is that the buffet interior has the seats and tables picked out in a different colour to the moulding.

A big task for the future is to put passengers (.. err customers) in the seats of my Dapol mk3's although I doubt I will illuminate them..

Ian

• 1 month later...

I did the same with my HST set & buffet for the same reason... Noticed this thread & thought I'd better check, and your photo pretty much captures the same "marked difference" that I see - not happy :(

What is going on at Dapol? We've waited patiently to expand the FGW book set into a prototypical consist: about a year & a half after the book set for the buffet; a further 6 months and more for additional coaches, no production date yet for the TGS, now a wider variation in livery than might be expected... I can overlook minor detail errors against the prototype as long as the model captures the essence of the real thing, and Dapol's model definitely does, but inconsistency in livery between piecemeal releases is frustrating, and more difficult to ignore, or fix.

Since First Great Western signed off on Dapol's reproduction of the FGW livery, and it's not like I'm mixing & trying to match Dapol + Farish, it never crossed my mind that we'd need to check for such inconsistencies... I wonder if others thought to check, or whether there's variation within the production batch(es) such that it's down to luck... No such luck with short production runs, limited availability, and now being sold out. Will we ever see a "new batch" of FGW buffets? There's none scheduled...

This all makes me wonder what we're going to get with subsequent releases, and what options, if any, we'll have to put together a rake that is visually consistent without weathering to hide any variations, or running at a scale 125mph... Disappointing.

Anybody want to buy a book set & buffet - in store test run only?

Hi,

I should have posted a comparison piccie previously, but there is a marked difference with both of mine:

attachicon.gifDSC00066.jpg

The very minor variation in the book set and loose coaches I have is perfectly acceptable, however even my ability to overlook things isn't that far removed from reality with these buffets.

As Dapol themselves haven't any, as I mentioned I bought mine direct so there's no retailer to return them to for exchange, I'll hang on to them until we see a new batch I guess - as I also mentioned, it's not like I have the layout to run them on yet :senile:

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

...Will we ever see a "new batch" of FGW buffets? There's none scheduled...

Dave has stated that enough buffets were produced to cover the number of HST sets produced, so unless there's enough of a demand some time to re-run those...

When I get around to it I guess it'll need some kind of overlay, but I'm a long way off looking into that possibility  :dontknow:

Regards, Gerry 8)

Archived