Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

There are sound fitted green and blue 08s awaited from last year. The 2012 pages on Hornbys web site include some items awaited from 2010 (B17s) and 2011 (new numbers on BR(WR) 2-8-0s for example) yet miss the big one - the Brighton Belle EMU although the separate coaches are listed. A far better run through of everything awaited red box wise can be found on Kernows web site http://www.kernowmod...rnby_2012_Range which also shows a number of previously unannouced models not listed by Hornby themselves.

The only blue 08 on Hattons website is this year's Railroad version, suitable only for those under 3 years old. There has not been a blue version of the current 08, sound-fitted or not, for at least 2 years.

• RMweb Premium

Well not everyone was entirely surprised by the O1, a friend of mine who is avid all things NE said some time ago that he thought Hornby would produce one as thay had the cylinders ,boiler and cab already on the B1, however he now wants one that was converted for use in the Tyne Docks... some people eh!

Guest Max Stafford

Surely it's largely a case of attaching a big pair of brake pumps to a section cut out of the footplate? I haven't studied the O1 in great depth but I'm assuming that all you need are the pumps and a receiver tank with attendant pipework.

Dave.

I'd love the following to be produced - a Q6, a J21, a G5, a K1, a J72 to modern high standards allowing for dcc sound too!

I'd rather see efforts in areas where there aren't good quality (aside from the J72) kits available - so out of these a J72 to new standards would be an excellent idea and I'd develop it alongside a J71 to produce to different variations with shared costs. But the Q6, G5, J21 and K1 all have at least one ready good kit from which they can be produced.

I have a question about the MK3 coaches that are listed.. I am assuming that these are loco hauled versions and the correct (ex-Lima) length coaches?

The TGS and the 4-window buffet are ex-Lima (the buffet was created by modifying the Lima 3-window tool last year), while the first and standard will be the Hornby coaches. Hornby started making full length Mk3 coaches at least 15 years ago, IIRC. Since they have western region numbers, they are likely all HST coaches.

Adrian

Since they have western region numbers, they are likely all HST coaches.

Adrian

The blue/grey MK3 coaches TF, TS, TRUB and TGS are Western Region HST coaches.

However the ex Virgin FO, TSO and RFM all have 11XXX loco hauled numbers. Only the TGS has a HST number.

EDIT Just noticed the blue grey catering vehicle is also of the four windowed (RFM) variety. If this is to be fully believed it would then have to be one of the short lived TRUK's as incorporated in-to the first 17 Western Region sets at delivery. As the RFM was a product of converted HST TRUK's (as well as locomotive hauled RUB's and FO's).

If by any chance it was meant to represent the far longer lived TRSB then Hornby's research department have got it completely wrong.

The TGS and the 4-window buffet are ex-Lima (the buffet was created by modifying the Lima 3-window tool last year), while the first and standard will be the Hornby coaches. Hornby started making full length Mk3 coaches at least 15 years ago, IIRC. Since they have western region numbers, they are likely all HST coaches.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian

Looks like I can scratch those off my list then.

Derek

Hornby have already released a "Dutch" liveried Class 31... I believe it was part of the original batch...

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

Ah, thanks - I missed that one although it's a disc headcode one - not seen any of those (models)around! A red-stripe Railfreight 31108 (now in this colour scheme on ELR I believe) would be good then. I cabbed this one in my teens so always had a soft spot for it! :)

Well there's nothing in the 2012 programme from Hornby for me . They managed to louse up the VEP last year which I am still bitterly disappointed about and I have a 5-BEL on order which was last years announcement so in effect my wallet will be diverted elsewhere in a Bachmann direction this year i think. Even the Blue/grey open 2nd Mk2d's don't interest me anymore.. I have a rake of Airfix ones which do the job for me. Incidentally I have asked for the VEP thread to be reopened as I felt there was a debate still to be had with that and it was closed on the suggestion of just two people!

Incidentally I have asked for the VEP thread to be reopened as I felt there was a debate still to be had with that and it was closed on the suggestion of just two people!

I haven't had chance to respond yet but it wasn't just two people. Several people had voiced concerns and it was just going round in circles and causing unnecessary work. When there's anything else substantive it will be re-assessed.

I haven't had chance to respond yet but it wasn't just two people. Several people had voiced concerns and it was just going round in circles and causing unnecessary work. When there's anything else substantive it will be re-assessed.

Ok cheers not to worry if it caused extra work, I just felt that it was a current topic which left open would have assisted with those still experiencing problems with their VEPs. Those who didn't like reading it could of course always unsubscribe from the topic which would have avoided them expreessing concerns!. I do still believe the VEP thread should be left open as there are still people continuing to experience problems with it. However it's not my forum and I bow to the dictat of the few who expressed concerns!

I found the thread really helpful. If it was going round in circles then I would have preferred an announcement requesting people only post new findings, modifications they've carried out or info/letters/repairs from Hornby, certainly until the blue-grey is released. Completely understand the reason just feel the issue is being now being buried and with the model railway press ignoring our cause RMWeb felt like the only pressure group.

Guest Belgian

As I'm always looking for ways to 'justify' the use of 'foreign' stock without invoking Rule One, I wonder if the new Hornby Thompson or Gresley suburban stock could be justified on a BR(SR) model.

In Bradley's RCTS book about LBSCR locomotives he states that in 1950 the Southern borrowed six sets of suburban stock from the GE lines for use in connection with the Farnborough Air Show. Does anyone know whether these might have been formed from the Hornby stock's prototypes? (No doubt they were articulated stock of course . . .)

JE

Ah, thanks. A red-stripe Railfreight 31108 would be good then. :)

Your welcome!

And as for a red-stripe Railfreight 31.. they have already released one of those too... Sorry!

post-7599-0-64187900-1326231530_thumb.jpg

The Railfreight one is fairly recent, within the past two years or so (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) so it should not be too difficult to get a hold of.

As I'm always looking for ways to 'justify' the use of 'foreign' stock without invoking Rule One, I wonder if the new Hornby Thompson or Gresley suburban stock could be justified on a BR(SR) model.

In Bradley's RCTS book about LBSCR locomotives he states that in 1950 the Southern borrowed six sets of suburban stock from the GE lines for use in connection with the Farnborough Air Show. Does anyone know whether these might have been formed from the Hornby stock's prototypes? (No doubt they were articulated stock of course . . .)

JE

There's a picture of one of these working on page 61 of Southern Region Flashback (Noodle Books, 2011), showing the end of one coach. Unfortunately the coach number is not legible but it's not on Gresley bogies and it has window bars. The caption notes that the stock was air braked and LBSC Atlantics and K-class moguls were used.

Oh for a time machine...

Bill

I'd rather see efforts in areas where there aren't good quality (aside from the J72) kits available - so out of these a J72 to new standards would be an excellent idea and I'd develop it alongside a J71 to produce to different variations with shared costs. But the Q6, G5, J21 and K1 all have at least one ready good kit from which they can be produced.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this.

Firstly, you can search for a whole number of kit built engines that are now being produced by RTR. 9F, WD 2-8-0, and even Black 5's are all engines available in kit built form. A lot of the engines topping wish list polls are also available in kit built from, from the likes of J15, to Ivatt Atlantic's. Heavens knows just how many of the obscure tank engines now being commissioned by companies and shops are being done - like a Adams radial tank, or a sentinel shunter. Even diesels are not immune from this. Heljan have produced just about every type of diesel prototype going ( unless Chard want's to mention his beloved choice too, or was it a standard loco?) and I bet there's kits for them too.

No. The simple point is that just because kits are made does not constitute a reason for RTR for a model not to be considered. In fact, I think a decent kit should mean demand is there for a decent RTR model. If you have a decent kit then it's because people pay them money for a decent kit, not wanting something which is below par for the model of that locomotive you want. As such, I'd think that the market is there for decent RTR models to be made by the companies, and given kit building is a diminishing art, sad though that is, the bigger companies can make more money by providing us with the models of the engines people obviously want. Add in factors like repeat sales for something as iconic as a Q6, or Ivatt Atlantic, or a Scottish engine, and the case is made for these to be serious contenders for reduction for a RTR company to then make sales and make business.

I think kit building has a place but to rule out great swathes of regional interest just because kits are available i think is nonsense. The problem is that with rising standards in RTR locomotive production modellers want their engines to be upgraded to the latest high specifications that modern productions allow. So things like having a dcc ready engine for your chosen type means that engines produced even quite recently need to be taken back and redesigned to accommodate these latest advances. So having that Q6 Also means that it needs that coupling to the tender and able to mount a dcc chip, or better even a sound chip! You simply can not get this detail from kit built easily, or for the same cost, hence why I think rtr is preferential. Though if others think otherwise, well, that's up to them....

• RMweb Premium

Something I haven't noticed in the 2012 announcements are any more of the 'S&D' coach sets - I hope that Hornby will produce more of them over time and not just leave us with set 390. While it's not that difficult to renumber such a set, I would prefer to see further examples produced to Hornby's excellent finish.

Archived