Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

Guest Belgian

I note that there are two catalogue (A versions as well as plain numbered ones) numbers of each of the SR and BR(SR) Van Bs to be released and three of the Gresley van.

I have only one question. Considering they have a railroad grouping for the poorer standards of models how can they release the likes of the 101 and 73 into the main fleet. I wouldnt expect them all to be updated immediately but it does seem a bit of an anomoly that you can have both the 60 and the 73 in the main fleet when you have a 'toy' range.

Is there a lot of difference between the railroad ex Lima models and the 73 which also originated in the Lima range?

• RMweb Premium

Is there a lot of difference between the railroad ex Lima models and the 73 which also originated in the Lima range?

The new 'Limby' power bogie and presumably DCC friendly wiring are the only differences I can think of.

• RMweb Gold

Prices now up on the Hattons website. Better than I feared.

BR (Late) Thompson Class 01 63789 preordered (£100 plus postage) :) - an Annesley resident until it's end, and a good photo on Annesleyfireman.com with it in '59 with a late crest - close as I can get to '58 for Summat Colliery .....

Sorry Graham, but Hattons recon 4th quarter for the O1s - 1st quarter for the 72xx though and only £104 to boot ......

When the Gresley subs came out (and especially now I own a few crimson examples) I did find myself wondering if some enterprising manufacturer would have a bash at the Thompsons. Hornby have delighted me considerably with the news that they're making them.

Guest Belgian

It's nice to see a BR T9 with the correct 6-wheel tender (the previous narrow-cab issues had the 13' wheelbase tender but the prototypes had 14' ones).

I see they've also renamed the 'heavily weathered' Grange!

The major difference between the Railroad and main range is the quality of finish. Railroad items tend to have simplified lining etc. What ends up in which range is a little arbitrary, but the rule of thumb to be applied is "does it duplicate another manufacturer's model?" If yes, then it's a Railroad item (33, 40, Warship) otherwise it's main range (older 67, 73, 87, 101, 156, 121). The next rule of thumb is "does it duplicate a Hornby item?" If yes, then it's Railroad (08, Patriot, Schools).

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to see the GW heavy freight tanks announced, wanted one of them for a while. If I do get one, not sure if it will end up getting weathered and made 'exhibition ready' before I decide to build the 42XX kit I've had in the pile for a couple of years.

What with all the other modelling priorities competing for what modelling time I have, I'll probably end up buying one of these big freight tanks when they're released - 'just so that I've got one' - and putting it away for years and years until I get time to do something with it...

Edit - just noticed some rather tasty bits and pieces in the Skaledale section of the new releases - not a huge fan of the NER as such, but the combined signalbox thingey looks very nice, as does the sketch for the 'LMS water tank'.... also a nice looking 1960's 'modern' yard office, with flat roof etc.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting thing on the Hattons' site is some of the release dates with some stuff which hasn't yet made it to pictures of models (in any sort of state of development) showing as '1st Quarter'. While we know things will all have been delivered by the end of the year it will be very interesting to see if they achieve the dates Hatton have given.

And the prices we are hearing about so far sound most encouraging (I'm not interested in VEPs - good or bad and maybe they're trying it on while they can so that when they start reducing unsold stock they don't have to drop too far too soon?).

It's nice to see a BR T9 with the correct 6-wheel tender (the previous narrow-cab issues had the 13' wheelbase tender but the prototypes had 14' ones).

Both the 13' and 14' wheelbase tenders are correct. The 1st Nine Elms series came out with 14' w/b but these were soon swapped with Watercarts from the Hoppers. When T9s were exported to SECR territory, they received 14' w/b tenders. The later batch exported to the LBSCR received 13' w/b tenders. You will need to look in Bradley for numbers but I'm pretty certain that all six variants of tender and cab were extant.

Bill

VEP RRP £199.99!!!

The one thing of vague interest to me on the list has now been removed at that price. No way I can justify that sort of expenditure on a 'might be useful' model; after the disasters of the first issue now this price it almost makes you think that Hornby want to make it a bad seller so they don't have to worry about making any further EMU's.

Like the look of the class 67 - just perfect as I finish off my Fort William 'sleeper' coaches :)

It's a shame there doesnt seem to be any new class 50s this year - Having done Sir Eddie Elgar, Valiant and Thunderer , I was hoping Hornby would complete the celebrity 'set' with D400. Maybe the 50 has dropped out of the range for a retool :paint:

tfn

Jon

I note that there are two catalogue (A versions as well as plain numbered ones) numbers of each of the SR and BR(SR) Van Bs to be released and three of the Gresley van.

Jeremy,

In fact Hattons quote four numbers for a 'SR gangwayed van' R4534-36 inclusive, there is a version with a A suffix that makes four in total but surely the Bogie B is a non-corridor van? Maybe a typo from Hattons?

And what happened to the rumoured DoG?

Tim

Both the 13' and 14' wheelbase tenders are correct. The 1st Nine Elms series came out with 14' w/b but these were soon swapped with Watercarts from the Hoppers. When T9s were exported to SECR territory, they received 14' w/b tenders. The later batch exported to the LBSCR received 13' w/b tenders. You will need to look in Bradley for numbers but I'm pretty certain that all six variants of tender and cab were extant.

Bill

And some of the 700's received T9 tenders?

Tim

The 4VEP price could be an indicator of a few things.

1) A partial retool (unlikely)

2) Nominal price rises - the 4VEPs had an RRP of around the £160 mark, after all

3) Price rise on a particular model, allowing discounts of others RRP.

If it is the same 4VEP as last time around, I would steer clear of the model altogether. Just one man's opinion. Even the box shifters would find it difficult to discount too heavily from the £199 mark, I would have thought...?

• RMweb Gold

And what happened to the rumoured DoG?

They have held it back so that I can get an article written on my Golden Arrow kit build published :lol:

Seriously, despite a few rumours I personally don't think that Hornby will do a Duke, it's too much of a slow burner for them, no doubt money is to be made but it doesn't seem to fit into their business model at the moment - they would want to make a few thousand, sell them all then repeat business in later years with reliveries etc - to do that with the Duke they would have to do the as preserved, annoying all the transition period modellers then do another two tender mouldings (ok the BRIE is only a different coal load) to get the variants.

The Flying Scotsman in the railroad range states it's a new tooling in Model Rail, are we seeing the same tooling used this year for the several versions of the Flying Scotsman released in NRM form too?

I think the SR Bogie B van will keep me happy this year.

BTW has anyone got a pic of M7 30029 with a late crest as the several pics I've seen of it upto 1959 it still had an early crest applied?

• RMweb Gold

I know it's an opinion but such posts bemoaning that they haven't done a such-and-such do tend to grate.

I actually applaud Hornby's approach committing to invest in more high-end products and leaving the lower to mid ground a little less over-exploited than it has been in the last couple of years. Sensible slimming and concentrating resources on that high-end to bring their announcement to release within the same year is commendable. I see 2012 as sensible consolidation whilst delivering some quality products, I am sure this will please retailers too.

Providing of course the models covering 'lower to mid ground' are sold at lower and mid end prices.

its a shame they couldnt of retooled the 101. Its nice theyre bringing out some more variations of it, but the Lima tooling now is quite old, and there be alot of space to be found in that box underneath, a brande new DMU would of been nice to of seen

But the 101 is a wonderful piece of tooling - the tool makers did a wonderful job with the glazing which is amoung the best found on any RTR model.

Archived