Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

I know that the Scots are a hardy bunch, but didn't realise that they poured oil on their conrflakes for breakfast...

The inclusion of a 6 wheel milk tanker branded 'The Oakbank Oil Co Ltd' is weird (could there really be a prototype for this model?) - may be the glass lining of the prototype tank helped protect the contents in transit ?... dilbert

I had a similar thought, and also is there a prototype for a tank wagon with British Sugar Corporation lettering?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham,

Just for the record, my name is actually Chris! Its just my username is TORN on the platform (the Jack Penate song). Perhaps I should change my signature to reflect this, as you're not the first to reply to me as Tom. :)

So are the second/thirds just as they were in normal non-PP service?

Hi Chris,

Apologies for not reading the username correctly.

Yes the Diagram 2005 Third / Secon Open (Third class designation was abolosihed and replaced by Second Class in 1956) were used as loose coaches to strengthen rakes often made up from more than one Set.

They were also coupled to a Restaurant First to make proivide additonal seating with tables for diners with this combination being added to rakes as a pair.

Slightly concerned that the pre-production picture of Bittern with the two tenders shows a single chimney and not a double chimney model, producing a very odd look...!

Apart from that very, very minor bit of pedantry, I am delighted with the O1 and Thompson non-gangwayed coaches. Absolutely over the moon!

There's a few questions hanging over the range - why the reintroduction of the old Schools model? I know they have the chassis for it, but the "new" Schools is still sitting in droves on shelves across the country's model shops.

The new Railroad A3 Flying Scotsman? If it has a new tender up to the level of detail of the Railroad Tornado, this "new tooling" (which I am skeptical as having anything over than a banjo dome changed to it) would be extremely welcome for the tight fisted among us (ergo me!)

There's something for everyone there, except perhaps the London Midland region (though the train packs and train sets say otherwise!). Class 67 will be gratefully received by many modellers I am sure, the Maunsell Push-Pull set looks stunning, and who could resist all of those garter blue A4s...?!

Overall a much more satisfying announcement than last year. I'm sincerely happy with the O1's appearance as I am sure it'll be bought in droves (and, like the L1 before it, I probably won't be able to resist one or two, or...etc!) and the Thompson coaches have opened up lots of avenues for modellers too.

I know that the Scots are a hardy bunch, but didn't realise that they poured oil on their conrflakes for breakfast...

The inclusion of a 6 wheel milk tanker branded 'The Oakbank Oil Co Ltd' is weird (could there really be a prototype for this model?) - may be the glass lining of the prototype tank helped protect the contents in transit ?... dilbert

OAKBANK did have a six-wheeled tank wagon - but it looked NOTHING like a milk tank wagon.

I really cannot see the point of these spurious liveries with the merest nod towards the prototype.

If the potential purchaser doesn't care that the model is almost entirely fictitious, they will almost certainly be unaware that OAKBANK, as opposed to A. N. OTHER OIL COMPANY, had a six-wheeled tank wagon.

Ah well,

John Isherwood.

Are there any new wagons from Hornby? I ask, not due to laziness but Hornby's website merely returns me to the main announcement page when I try to enter the new wagons.............................!

Thank you for posting the releases

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Even though news leaked out on the key releases, overall, I'm happy with this year's programme. Although I can't see myself buying much, particularly on the steam locomotive front, there are a few models listed which I've long suggested personally to Simon Kohler and through their suggestions form:

The 101 Strathclyde Transport 2-car DMU in orange/black with Scotrail logo had only previously been available by Lima as a certificated limited edition which commanded high prices on a certain auction site. It's a good choice as they ran in that form from 1994, and transferred south in 2000, running out of Manchester Piccadilly until the end of 2003 and you can backdate it with the BR double arrow logo.

A SR Maunsell third open was one I suggested to Simon and I may buy two, one in BR green to run loose with a 3-coach set and one for conversion as departmental office coach DS70313, long a fixture at Fratton (Portsmouth) in my youth and now superbly restored as 1336 on the Bluebell.

I'm also interested how the blue/grey 4VEP pans out, if they've fixed the running issues, then I may buy one to go with my refurbished NSE version showing how they appeared at different times in their career.

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm hardly going to moan am I :O I think choosing the GW 8 coupled tanks is a very brave step, especially the huge 72XX, and I shall certainly looking at releasing savings held against a day I never really expected. I know prototype photos aren't necessarily a guide to what is coming but I do hope they aren't really going to choose the rarest version of the 5205s (see http://www.rmweb.co....d-tank-engines/ for a brief guide round the 8 coupled locos). Anyway I'll still be down for one of each for starters :sungum:

On other lines the O1 seems a strange choice - certain productions benefits aside - but I wonder if we are looking to the GC mainline assuming modelling parity with the current fervour for the S&DJtR in, say, 2013?

And as ever I was wrong about the 2BIL (I'll get it right one day - purely by repetition) but taht Maunsell P-P set really does look the business - and I'll say no more.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any new wagons from Hornby? I ask, not due to laziness but Hornby's website merely returns me to the main announcement page when I try to enter the new wagons.............................!

Tim

I can find no mention of any new wagon tooling on either BRM or MREMag, nearest is a 20' 'tanktainer' for the conflats, which I can't recall seeing before.

• RMweb Gold

On other lines the O1 seems a strange choice

Not for us East Midlands modellers Mike - pretty much a staple of Annesley shed in the latter days of steam, you couldn't move in the coal fields round my way without running into either an O1 or an Austerity 2-8-0

Stunning choice Hornby, really, me, a committed loco builder will be buying one (subject to it looking like an O1 of course). The annoying thing, if there is one, is that it's not likely to be released before Summat Colliery's appearance at Wigan in June :(

From www.mremag.com

For those wanting weathered ex-Virgin red and black Mk3 coaches there will be a coach pack containing four of them. These will be 1st class 11021, standard class 12045, buffet 10245 and TGS 44088.

Since when have loco hauled Mk3's run with a TGS?

I dont know how you managed that. Whenever I have visited that site this morning I still get yesterdays page which says a full report will appear at 9am today.

• RMweb Gold

Not for us East Midlands modellers Mike - pretty much a staple of Annesley shed in the latter days of steam, you couldn't move in the coal fields round my way without running into either an O1 or an Austerity 2-8-0

Exactly so - hence my comment about modelling the GC mainline. All you need now is a J11 and 'Director' and you're away.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Judging from the pre production sample that was on show at the Hornby media day the O1 might make an appearance earlier than you think.

Believe it or not I might be obtaining one myself as the O1 ran on the Southern during the locomotive exchange trials!

Tim

Tim if you click on the links in Andy's first post it takes you to the wagons. I know because I have just tried it.

• RMweb Premium

Managed to find the list elsewhere. Hornby still seem to be too busy for me to get in. Never mind - I've had a look at the list.

A few rather interesting looking pieces including the SR push-pull set and new Humbrol weathering powders. A greater number of arguably curious decisions and some which probably make more commercial than modelling sense. The b/g Vep displays the design flaws we have already covered extensively. Mk3 coaches with a TGS should be HST types and numbers or not have the TGS (as noted above also). The eternal re-run of Airfix aircons suggests they still sell in adequate numbers and turn a decent profit on a fully-depreciated tool.

Disappointment perhaps on a few levels including that while the somewhat tired 101 dmmu is sent on yet another outing there is nothing new in that area; a 116/7/8 would be a useful addition to many a layout and have many livery possibilities.

Archived