Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

I am most happy about the GWR 42xx, 52xxHornby-2012-sml.gif and 72XX. Mrs iD will be most unhappy as I plan to get a few of each :sungum:

Not really much for me in the coaches (I already have the old toolings B-Set and Autocoach, it would have been nice to have a new tooling for these [unless I've misread something]), alas the Thompsons are far too late in era for my layout...

I might be tempted by the reliveried GWR horsebox and I wonder how the new Skaledale Covered Platform Footbridge will compare with the Bachmann effort (which I personally found a bit disappointing).

Given that I may have to reach deep into the Swiss Bank Account ( :biggrin_mini:) for the big tank engines, it's perhaps as well Hornby have little else to tempt me...

F

Interesting to note that all the froth over the embargo has resulted in the Hornby site being so overloaded that it is (mostly) inaccessible - it all certainly keeps Hornby in the public eye!

Having looked through the releases, I've got a bit of a mixed view. If the 67's are re-tooled as has been mentioned, then I will no doubt end up purchasing one, probably 67001 model as it fits my scene of "East Coast Northern" around the GNER era. The Northern 142 would have been a maybe if I didn't already have 2 in other colourschemes. Sadly the model hasn't been re-tooled (Look at those bus doors!) which is what will prevent me from purchasing that one. If it had been improved, then maybe. Carriages and the wagons are not of any interest to me this year, but looks to be a good variety covering a number of regions. I had a look through the steam, and again, seems to be a fair variety. Skaledale i'm very pleased with, a number of buildings that do take my interest, some of which I've thought "If only they were released a couple of years ago!".

I did notice a couple of last years announced models had been put in there too.. The intercity sleeper MK3, Stobart 92, so on.

Ian

Believe it or not I might be obtaining one myself as the O1 ran on the Southern during the locomotive exchange trials!

That's nailed it for me. I was probably going to get one anyway just because I liked the look of them.

From a narrow, Era 3 ex-LSWR point of view, this news is extremely welcome. I still have unfulfilled wishes, which will appear on the "official" wishlist later this year, but Vans B, Bulleid black M7 and T9 (almost perfect for renumbering) can all soak up my entire annual budget without further temptation. So one Kentish Man applauds the naturalised Men of Kent.

PB

The 67 is a new model, well newly tooled model, but id rather of seen as along with many a brand new 73. Sticking with DMUs, its a shame they couldnt of retooled the 101. Its nice theyre bringing out some more variations of it, but the Lima tooling now is quite old, and there be alot of space to be found in that box underneath, a brande new DMU would of been nice to of seen

NL

• RMweb Premium

I dont know how you managed that. Whenever I have visited that site this morning I still get yesterdays page which says a full report will appear at 9am today.

Sounds like your browser needs refreshing, go to mremag page and hit 'F5' or whatever button your browser uses for refresh.

..or go the whole way and clear the browser's cache:-

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone explain to me why one of the Maunsell PP coaches is available separately as an 'unmodified' version (bust still with the odd coupling on one end) but not the other?

Yes, the 1935 style of Maunsell compartment coach, as exemplifed in this BCK, is the most mature and "modern" looking, so it is to be hoped Hornby will introduce them in due course as standard models. South Western main line & Withered Arm modellers can never have enough BCKs! The pull-push version seems to lack 1 figures on the doors, but no doubt these will appear by the time production begins.

• RMweb Gold

Pat on MreMag seems to suggest that Hornby can now retire the SR 'utility van'? Surely not, seeing as the two are (albeit subtly) different? After all one has a gangway but no brake, the other a brake compartment but no compartment brake?

Edit: Changed second compartment - now makes more sense!

• RMweb Gold

Pat on MreMag seems to suggest that Hornby can now retire the SR 'utility van'? Surely not, seeing as the two are (albeit subtly) different? After all one has a gangway but no brake, the other a brake compartment but no compartment?

John

I agree with you totally the ex triang GBL is a completely different van to the Bogie B, this is being discussed in this thread here.

I am totally cock-a-hoop with the Thompson coaches. Superb news. Judging by the sample photo shown in Model Rail looks like they are well on with them and they might be out sooner rather than later.

Also I'm sure I can find an excuse to have an O1 in the West Riding!

The 67 is a new model, well newly tooled model, but id rather of seen as along with many a brand new 73. Sticking with DMUs, its a shame they couldnt of retooled the 101. Its nice theyre bringing out some more variations of it, but the Lima tooling now is quite old, and there be alot of space to be found in that box underneath, a brande new DMU would of been nice to of seen

I know it's an opinion but such posts bemoaning that they haven't done a such-and-such do tend to grate.

I actually applaud Hornby's approach committing to invest in more high-end products and leaving the lower to mid ground a little less over-exploited than it has been in the last couple of years. Sensible slimming and concentrating resources on that high-end to bring their announcement to release within the same year is commendable. I see 2012 as sensible consolidation whilst delivering some quality products, I am sure this will please retailers too.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the 1935 style of Maunsell compartment coach, as exemplifed in this BCK, is the most mature and "modern" looking, so it is to be hoped Hornby will introduce them in due course as standard models. South Western main line & Withered Arm modellers can never have enough BCKs! The pull-push version seems to lack 1 figures on the doors, but no doubt these will appear by the time production begins.

Ian

Hornby are not releasing the 1935 version (ie the style that was converet to a Pull Push driving end) of the BCK separately only the diagram 2005 Third / Second Open which were as I have already stated above were used as loose coaches or paired with a restaurant first. Hornby have already produced the early style BCK

• RMweb Gold

cant see any mention of the wsmr MK3 coaches on the Hornby site (as mentioned in model rail)

already ordered a brace of 67s, of the 3 on offer 67018 was the first one i drove and 67012 is one of my regular locos so they had to be ordered!!

Hi Guys,

The internet finally allowed me to see the 'new' Hornby wagons..............oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

However thanks to all who responded, much appreciated.

I amn guilty of expressing my disappointment as soon as MR165 hit my doormat- my first reaction was, "Is that it?" however on quiet reflection Hornby over-reached in 2011 and 2012 will be a year of quiet consolidation whilst the nation's economy in recession and their committment to the London Olympics will keep them busy.

Hopefully (for everyone) 2013 will be a more productive with something to reset the huge imbalance of goods locomotives for the other three companies whilst the poor old Southern struggles with just a Q1 and C class.

My wallet has breathed a huge sigh of relief but it has not recognised that there will be a further onslaught from Kernow/Dapol.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I know that Thompson non-corridor stock tended to stray off ex-LNER routes far more than the Gresley equivalents. Didn't one example appear on the Hemyock branch at some time?

You could be right about Hemyock. Two ex-LNER brake seconds moved to the Culm Valley in the winter of 62/63. They replaced gas light ex-barry railway coaches after the closure of Exeter gas works. They were numbered W87245E and W87270E and certainly look to this non-LNER expert as very similar to the pictures on Hornby's website.

Perhaps a limited edition from a local shop?

• RMweb Premium

So now we will have two LNER heavy goods engines, after so long with none at all. For those who might fancy an 01, they were not always limited to the GC section. Prior to 1950 they were allocated as far apart as Gorton Hull and even Thornton Junction! There were also a few at Consett for iron ore trains, though you'd need to add some Westinghouse pumps . 1950 to 1957 all the ER locos were concentrated at Annesley for the GC section "runners", but after the introduction of 9F's on those trains, a considerable number went to March and Colwick. The March engines worked on the GE main line to Temple Mills, and over the GN/GE line to Doncaster. I've even got a photo of one heading North on the Midland line at Peterborough, so that one would have finished up at Leicester Midland at least. They were certainly common engines anywhere in Lincolnshire during my spotting days.

So now we will have two LNER heavy goods engines, after so long with none at all. For those who might fancy an 01, they were not always limited to the GC section. Prior to 1950 they were allocated as far apart as Gorton Hull and even Thornton Junction! There were also a few at Consett for iron ore trains, though you'd need to add some Westinghouse pumps . 1950 to 1957 all the ER locos were concentrated at Annesley for the GC section "runners", but after the introduction of 9F's on those trains, a considerable number went to March and Colwick. The March engines worked on the GE main line to Temple Mills, and over the GN/GE line to Doncaster. I've even got a photo of one heading North on the Midland line at Peterborough, so that one would have finished up at Leicester Midland at least. They were certainly common engines anywhere in Lincolnshire during my spotting days.

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peter C. 38B :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hornby are not releasing the 1935 version (ie the style that was converet to a Pull Push driving end) of the BCK separately only the diagram 2005 Third / Second Open which were as I have already stated above were used as loose coaches or paired with a restaurant first. Hornby have already produced the early style BCK

Indeed Graham, which is why I said "it is to be hoped"! For those of us in the olive era, the 1926-style BCK has been produced in 3 numbers, and the early high-window in limited edition for the Imperial Airways set. I would hope we can look forward to the 1935-style in 2013, perhaps.

EDIT : Gould and King appear to be at odds over the original destination for these 25 vehicles in order E799, the former saying most went to the Eastern Section, while King claims they went to the SW Main Line, and has a photo of one such "at Padstow about 1936" which is fairly convincing!

Mixed feelings, as far as I'm concerned nothing in the non-steam range supports Mr Kohler's assertion that modern image is alive and well at Hornby. Apart from a 67 retool, everything else is either an extension of existing production runs announced last year or a relivery. Whilst the steam era announcements are undoubtedly welcome by those to whom they appeal (and it does at least give some assurance that Hornby are continuing to invest in new detail models) and I'm sure LNER fans are cock a hoop at getting a second all-new design of non-corridor coach (although the LMS and GWR get passed over for any brand new model suburban stock), diesel and electric modellers have yet again to put up with the nice but ageing Mk2d (also pretending to be Mk2fs in Intercity livery), Mk3 stock that is a mix of old Lima and semi-detailed Hornby and the Mk4s which are knocking on a bit. I also think where Hornby have re-issued the HST in blue and grey, they have missed a trick and not, for example, released the blue-grey HST as a NE-SW cross country unit with the smoke baffle plates but not guards van window. I know in reality both the original design with guards van window and without ended up as a common fleet working main-line and cross country services, but it would have made for an interesting variation.

I suppose I'm not really surprised, the financial situation and despite what they say, Hornby's preference to invest in detailed steam era products meant I didn't expect much, and I can always use a new rake of Mk2ds in blue/grey with the very nice Hornby finish, and a blue/grey 125, but I remain to be convinced that Hornby see any market for detailed diesel and electric era models especially rolling stock, or have quietly surrendered the D+E market to Bachmann. Still, there's the plenty en-route from Barwell to bankrupt me, so perhaps Hornby's water treading exercise in D+E personally isn't too disappointing after all.

I'm surprised and delighted by the news. Last years news of a B1 makes much more sense as so many the B1 parts are common to the 01.

And we now have both Thompson and Gresley non-corridor stock!

I know it's an opinion but such posts bemoaning that they haven't done a such-and-such do tend to grate.

I actually applaud Hornby's approach committing to invest in more high-end products and leaving the lower to mid ground a little less over-exploited than it has been in the last couple of years. Sensible slimming and concentrating resources on that high-end to bring their announcement to release within the same year is commendable. I see 2012 as sensible consolidation whilst delivering some quality products, I am sure this will please retailers too.

Ah not really a moan as per such Andy, I certainly know I wont lose sleep over them not relasing X Y Z , im actually happy theyve decided to completely retool the 67 as can see several of these models being brought

NL

• RMweb Premium

I greatly welcome Hornby's decision to do the non-gangwayed Thompsons, not least because they'll (presumably) feature the same shade of crimson as the just-released non-gangwayed Gresleys. The two types were often intermingled in rakes, and not having two different versions of the same livery will be a real bonus. (This has rarely been the case in the past, with Bachmann'sThompsons and Hornby's Gresleys sporting wildly different shades of crimson/cream, and the two firms' Bulleids and Maunsells offering very different versions of BR green. And who would bet on Bachmann's upcoming crimson/cream 'portholes' matching Hornby's crimson/cream Staniers?)

All in all, it seems a very sensible programme from Hornby, offering more to the serious modeller than many of us expected a few weeks ago. I would have preferred a J15 or J6 to a larger, more expensive O1, but will doubtless buy one of the latter, thus confirming Hornby in their commercial judgement. I was hoping for a DCC sound Britannia, and now only need to accumulate the fortune it will doubtless cost.

Guest dilbert

The GW heavy freight tank engines are a welcome addition with a total of six models (3x GWR and 3x BR). The GW Horsebox seems to have been a successful model in 2011 because that gets an alternative running number for 2012 as does the Castle loco.

What hasn't been released for the moment is the RRP of the 2012 range and once the info becomes available this will probably temper (downwards) whatever buying pretensions currently exist. TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if the 42xx/5205:72XX entry point was around than the mythical £100 mark. I just hope the programme is not too ambitious given the current climate.

It will be interesting to see what form the Bachmann announcement in the March 2012 timeframe takes and how that balances out to the Hornby announcement.

On the one hand income value is being seriously eroded and on the other hand so are savings...dilbert

Archived