The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas food.

JZ

For me it's the main meal itself. This year we are having 3 bird roast from Aldi. Bought a couple last year and they are excellent. Turkey, chicken and duck breasts rolled and filled with pork stuffing.icon_drool.gif Served with bread sauce, pigs in blankets, pototoes roast in goose fat, brussel sprouts and either leeks, turnip or swede. After this we don't usually have a dessert, so the pudding is saved for tea time.

I don't know what I'm going to do this year yet. It will depend on the weather forecast- last year was rainy, so we went for a traditional roast. I'm really hoping for sun and a barbeque, just to do that once in my life.

I love christmas pudding, but it's a real migraine trigger food for me. I'm sure I'll eat it anyway and get through the illness with plenty of seasonal booze. There's another in fact- my wife often buys me a good bottle of scotch for christmas, so I associate whisky with the season!

Pfeffernuesse are something my family has often gone for, I think it was my sister (Mrs Dagworth) who got us into them.

For me it's the main meal itself. This year we are having 3 bird roast from Aldi. Bought a couple last year and they are excellent. Turkey, chicken and duck breasts rolled and filled with pork stuffing.icon_drool.gif Served with bread sauce, pigs in blankets, pototoes roast in goose fat, brussel sprouts and either leeks, turnip or swede. After this we don't usually have a dessert, so the pudding is saved for tea time.

Im with you on this... the "MAIN COURSE" is defo the main event!

• RMweb Gold

Having cooked all the meals in our house for the last 16 months - Deb still being in bed or a wheelchair for the time being - I relish someone else doing the chef bit! Another retired railwayman and his wife have invited us round. They know how to eat well, and she used to cook for a nursing home, so can manage the kitchen really well. Bound to be a trad Brit meal - lovely! Sobriety will be a necessary evil, as it's several kilometres away, the breathalyser in France is more stringent than the UK standard, and I need my licence!

I am very partial to a nice roast duck or goose.

Turkey isn't a particular favourite of mine - my Uncle used to provide the bird each Christmas and it usually ended up being some sort of giant mutant turkey that was only squeezed into the oven by performing some sort of complex operation on the carcass. You then ended up eating turkey until the middle of January :icon_neutral:

I have been known to Barbeque over the Christmas period - but never on Christmas day! (yet)

My favourite meal was boxing day dinner! All the family would come on a visit, we would have a huge bowl of real mashed potatoes, loads of butter and milk etc, cold Turkey, cold Ham, and all the pickles. We used to prefer this to the dinner the day before. All followed by hot flakey pastry mince pies and real whipped cream.

Now I'm hungry.wink.gif

On Christmas Eve we always have a raclette - Dad is half German so it's a bit of a tradition for us, and it's nice to make something of Christmas Eve, too. On the big Day, we have the traditional roast, with plenty of cranberry sauce!

While probably not a favourite overall, I am rather partial to Crimbo range of sandwiches we're doing at work at the moment - the turkey and chipolata wrap is particularly goodbiggrin.gif

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit that whilst a good turkey dinner with roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds (apparently I am the only who has these with christmas dinner from what I can tell!) is worth some of the hassle, I really am getting beyond fed up with the whole Christmas malarkey. Moving into my own place this year, I deliberately left the Christmas decorations back at my parents place and am volunteering for rest days to try and avoid the worst of the whole festive nonsense (Overtime money is nice too! Got to pay for a 4-CEP I think...)

The only day I can't get out of is Christmas Day itself, no trains running annoyingly otherwise I would volunteer for that as well!! Could fake the flu I suppose late on the 24th and then have a miraculous recovery late on the 26th...

Still, I have one of those microwave in ten minutes Tesco turkey dinners to have on the 25th, unfortunately they come with the sprouts sealed inside the pack!!

You are the only one with the Yorkshire puddings John - we always have them with Christmas Dinner.

They were one of my wife's favourites and I've kept up the tradition because I quite like them too.

There is nothing quite like a quiet Christmas - One of my best Christmas memories as a kid is going out for a walk on Christmas day afternoon. I always remember it being cold and frosty and then coming back to warm up with mince pies and Christmas pudding. I am sure we also had warm, wet weather too - but somehow the memories always seemed to have it cold!

Being high Summer here, BBQs or Christmas eve or Christmas night dinners are quite common, but for me nothing beats a propper roast dinner Christmas lunch time, with proper boiled Christmas pud and brandy sauce! After dinner (preceded by drinks and accompanied by Champagne and wines) an afternoon sleep is obligitory!

My Dad was born and brought up in Leicestershire, and he always had pork pie for Christmas Day breakfast, as did all known friends, family and neighbours. When he got married he insisted on the same routine, so I grew up assuming everyone ate the same. When I got married I carried on the tradition, much to my wife's amazement. My son now carries that on, and judging by the queues at Walker's pork pie shops is Leicesteshire on Christmas Eve, so do most of the county. (I think it also applies in Nottinghamshire) Anyone else like to own up to it?

Geoff

• RMweb Gold

Sprouts !

The king of vegetables !

I'm glad that I'm not alone in liking the humble sprout! Tried them once with whole chestnuts....delicious!

....also chestnut stuffing...best quality sausage meat, chestnut puree, whole and chopped chestnuts and loads of herbs and seasoning........a meal in itself!smile.gif

For those that don't like Sprouts. Try them roasted with your parsnips, and carrots. Totally delicious. As we go to the pub on christmas lunch for the full session, I go for a bit of a cheeseboard with a bit of Foie Gras, and cooked meats for my christmas lunch.

I think I'm the only person in this country who hate turkey.

I don't hate it, but don't care for it very much. The problem most people have is that the breast cooks at a different rate than the legs and to ensure all of the bird is cooked (to avoid foodpoisoning...) it often ends up like cardboard. If you buy a whole bird, get the butcher to separate the crown from the legs/wings and cook them separately - tastes a whole lot better.

I like a good roast vegetable assortment (with some meat), but don't care for sprouts. Anyone tried them in "Sprouts Mexicane"?

I introduced my wife (who is Swiss) to the British Christmas tradition (soup, roast turkey with stuffing, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sprouts, bacon rolls followed by Christmas pudding and "schoolboy" custard). She now enjoys it so much that she insists on a large turkey (about 6Kg) so that we'll have plenty of left overs (something I tire of quickly)

... The problem most people have is that the breast cooks at a different rate than the legs and to ensure all of the bird is cooked (to avoid foodpoisoning...)...

There is a way around this without dismembering the bird: We buy a free-range turkey from a local farmer which comes plucked and gutted but with head and feet attached. I remove the feet and cut the head off at the top of the neck. I skin the neck so that the skin can be folded over the breast of the turkey (the neck itself is cut into chunks and put into a pan with the giblets for the gravy). I then wash, dry and salt and pepper the turkey and stuff the body cavity with stuffing. Then, very carefully, I separate the breast skin from the meat below - creating a pocket for more stuffing. Once the breast is stuffed, I fold the neck skin over the breast and pin in place with cocktail sticks. When the turkey is trussed, I cover the breast with a layer of streaky bacon and bung into the oven for the usual cooking times. About an hour before the turkey is ready (about when I stick in the spuds), I remove the bacon and the neck skin which then allows the breast skin to crisp up before serving - the result is an evenly cooked turkey! (and thanks to the bacon, the fat in the breast skin and the stuffiing, a very moist breast meat)

F

p.s. Whilst using the terms "white" meat and "dark" meat will not offend those who get scandalised by the use of the terms "breast" and "leg", surely these descripions could also offend??? Any other terms we could use?

Archived