Trent Valley North American Modellers -2012 Show

Northpoint

I was going to write my own treatise on the 'age' thing, and the attractions of US outline, but Martyn above has pretty much said it all....

I'd just add that there's always been perceived 'theats' to railway modelling as a hobby... in the '60s it was Scalectrix, in the '80s (and ever since) it was computer games.... :rolleyes:

I remember reading one editorial comparing Athearn with the then UK 'standard' of Lima and Hornby, and saying that if a British loco was made to US standards it would cost £100+ and the market wouldn't stand it... well, today that's about the way of things in 4mm and 2mm, and the hobby as a whole is booming.....

I agree with Martyn but would like to add just one thing (or two);

1. The other attraction to me of (American) HO was (and still is) NO argument over Scale vs Gauge (OO/4mm has always looked "narrow" to me).

2. Similarly no hassle over "couplings".

Best, Pete.

Two queries:

1. What was the name of the spray on product used to give the concrete look on Newfield Yard IHB? Was it Rustoleum??

2. Whilst wandering around the Freemo layout, one of the crew had a SW1500(?) switcher with Wisconsin Central cab and the hood in 'primer grey'. Is this a prototype paint job? Not seen anything like it in my WC references. I wanted to ask at the time but he was busy and I had to get back to the pay desk.

Thanks.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to start a 'state of the hobby' discussion! Thinking about it more, I think that my impression of (relative) youth comes from the NA section of this forum and that we are younger, on average, than the average. However, we are but a small proportion of the TVNAM attendees, although probably a high proportion of the exhibitors!

Hiya, ref the primer switcher, it was an in progress attempt at the road switcher SW1200 variant from Pete Colton, a prototype so far not available RTR in HO (although very nicely modelled in O by Atlas!)

It was a combo of Proto shell on Athearn frame, with Athearn (latest style) SW1500 flexicoils, it should end up an Illinois Terminal machine like this one:

http://www.rrpicture....aspx?id=874187 - The 'road switcher' version features Flexicoil trucks, bigger fuel tank, full handrails and MU kit...

The reason for the painted (FEC red and yellow) cab and undec hood was that the hood parts were already stripped and were nicked off the bits box for Pete's RS1325 project, another nice EMD odd-bod that Pete's working on modelling!

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2675474

The latter is a very good bet for 'will never, ever appear in RTR plastic!' as EMD only ever built 2 of the rather cute light road switchers, and they have worked in one place (although for a couple of successive operators) all their lives! ;)

HTH

Two queries:

1. What was the name of the spray on product used to give the concrete look on Newfield Yard IHB? Was it Rustoleum??

2. Whilst wandering around the Freemo layout, one of the crew had a SW1500(?) switcher with Wisconsin Central cab and the hood in 'primer grey'. Is this a prototype paint job? Not seen anything like it in my WC references. I wanted to ask at the time but he was busy and I had to get back to the pay desk.

Thanks.

Yes, it was Rustoleum. Desert Bisque I believe:

http://www.rustoleum...oduct/textured/

Hiya, ref the primer switcher, it was an in progress attempt at the road switcher SW1200 variant from Pete Colton, a prototype so far not available RTR in HO (although very nicely modelled in O by Atlas!)

Thanks for the info...I had wrongly assumed it was a prototype paint job :no: One future project I have stored is WC SW1200 #2288 in a filthy SP grey with only WC on the cab side to identify it's new owner. Even better is GP40 #3008. Sadly I only have a B&W photo but it looks like a real-life kit bash with 3 different liveries evident, finished off by a hood door bearing the wrong number!

(See Wisconsin Central Ltd 1987-1996 Photo Archive by FW Jordan, p68)

PS. Couldn't get your second photo link to work.

Thanks also for the Rustoleum reply - now there's an answer looking for a problem :-)

Archived