Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David

I was studying photos of the rail grinder and the battery box /fuel tanks should be grey so i will have to repaint them at some point. Just waiting for the Tomytec chassis to arrive so that I can get it working.

The dummy unit will have a scratch built chassis.

What bogie sides did you use?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The layout will be loaded into the car tonight ready for the trip to a High Wycombe tomorrow morning.

Work has continued on the MPV although last night didn't see much done due to being at our local beer festival.

Still awaiting the Kato bogies.

Hopefully the decals and glazing will go on tonight.

post-1557-0-64896400-1383289820_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Layout loaded except for the stock DCC and PC's etc.

The Windhoff now has decals on the cab sides and its just been sprayed in Dulcote.

Hopefully some of the glazing will get done tomorrow.

Unfortunately the wrong Kato bogies turned up. Not sure if it was me ordering the wrong ones. So it will still have temprary rear bogies for now and due to the lack of pickups it may just have to sit in the sidings tomorrow but we will give it a try.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

I keep on getting distracted by new stock but there are still a fair number of tasks to do to the sceninc areas.

Ben - I used Prescision pints Chiltern Railways blue. They do the correct colours but as I needed so little and having to roder them I mixed up the lime green and used the closest blue that I had.

Just put most of the glazing in the MPV but still a few panes to do.

Time now to load the stock into the car etc.

Alos need to go via the sorting office as two new USA locos waiting to be picked up - been waiting three years for these to be released by Athearn.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The pocket container wagon performed faultlessly at Wycrail. The brake wheels were added the day before he show. These are mounted on brass wire and are off a US etch but still look OK on this.

The Harsco rail grinder body was on show on the fiddleyard top at Wycrail but since then the Tomytec chassis has been cut and lengthened together with a scratch built dummy unit chassis. The bogie sides are temporary till I source the correct type.

The two car unit was test run last night and this morning more decals were applied. Still plenty more decals to add plus the handrails and steps to fix.

A couple of photos below.

post-1557-0-44898700-1383723126_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-92539100-1383723141_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our next and final show of the year takes Banbury to Letchworth in just under two weeks time so attention has turned to the rolling stock.

The 3D printed Harsco rail grinder and the Windhoff MPV both had more decals added yesterday. Still awaiting the Kato bogies to arrive so that the MPV can have more wheel pick ups to help it run properly.

Also on the workbench are a set of autoballasters which have had the Network Rail branding added to the patched sides.

One of the Digitrax stationary decoders, a DS64 in the fiddle yard somehow managed to do a factory reset on Saturday when it was being used with Santa Barbara. It's fairly straightforward to reset normally but it did give us a few running problems during the show at Royston until it was sorted. This has only happened once before. However to reduce such problems the plan is to have a spare. This and the ones currently fitted wil be modified to have a D plug and socket connection so that a DS64 can be swapped quickly. The spare will be left at factory default settings so that when it's required it can be programmed off the layout prior to swapping with one that has failed etc.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

I've only just begun to work through this thread (all 42 pages of it!) having not noticed it before... where on earth have I been??? Excellent job. Apologies if it's been asked before, but where did you source the fencing etches? They look particularly good. Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I've only just begun to work through this thread (all 42 pages of it!) having not noticed it before... where on earth have I been??? Excellent job. Apologies if it's been asked before, but where did you source the fencing etches? They look particularly good. Pete.

The etched chain link fence came from a trader at TINGS a few years ago and I htink it was N tastic who I got them from.

They are superb etches but they are fragile. One run boardering the Royal Mail yard has tken quite a few knocks and is no longer straight. Luckily I need to had a close boarded timber fence alongside it whihc will add some protection.

The palisade fencing  I cant recall the name. Its not the Cavey models one but is another reasonably well known N scale make.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A few photos showing the recent work on rolling stock.

The autoballasters utoballasters network rail branding is from Precision Labels. These also come with the data panels for three sets.. The autoballasters had a final spray of Dullcote matt varnish once these decals had dried.

The Wndhoff shot shows most of the cantrail orange stripe in place but there is still more to add along with the decals on the chassis and interchangeable units.

Still plenty more work to do on other items of stock including fitting a decoder to my ninth Farish class 168.

post-1557-0-74586400-1384841784_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-28678900-1384841798_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Tonight, the Windhoff MPV had its correct bogies fitted after installing the Kato bogie parts. The bogoe on the powered unit was wired to the decoder so that it has all wheel pickup. A run on the test track to check the pickups and it is now working well.

The next stage is to finish off applying the decals then a little bit of weathring . SHould now be fully working on the layout at the Letchworth show.

Ian

• Like 2