Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Ian,

I have updated post 387 with some more wagonload consists. The container flats are starting to puzzle me. They appear on most trains seem to usually run empty in both directions. Are they principally used as barrier vehichles on this service?

A green (British American) Class 56 also headed north yesterday evening at about 7 o'clock with bogie box wagons loaded with something that looked like grey mud, so that's another train you could model.

Where are you booked to show your layout this autumn and winter?

Bill

Edited by billS

• RMweb Gold

Bill

Thanks for the update - Now I have an excuse to get a Dapol 56 and repaint it. Do you know what type and livery the wagons it was hauling were?

We had the wagonload freight running on the layout last weekend but I do need to get some empty flats. Does seem stange the empty flats as they run them in the container trains anyway.

The layout will be at Haywards Heath on 1st Septmeber then at the International N Gauge show in Leamington Spa on 8th and 9th September. After that its Tonbridge in February 2013.

Ian

Ian,

They looked like JNA or JXA bogie scrap wagons in faded blue livery. The train was fairly short - probably less than a dozen wagons, but it was travelling fairly quickly through Heyford when I saw them.

Edited by billS

• RMweb Gold

Found a photo of DCR class 56303 on the rake of wagons heading through Hatton on Peter Tandy's website that he took yesterday. It was carrying slag from steel making, running from Cardiff Tidal sidings to Rotherham.

Loco looks superb in the evening sun.

Just ordered a set of decals from Precision Scale.

Now to get a Dapol 56 and some suitable wagons!!

UPDATE - thanks Beast - just noticed your post as I added mine.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Could those wagons be a candidate for a 3D printing project? Just a body, maybe etched ladder and wire for the brake rigging? Y25 fabricated bogies (now with NEM coupler sockets) are available from N Train and others...

If you want to progress this I would certainly be interested in assisting... feel free to drop me PM if you wish to discuss further...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more work done last night and this morning on the two new semaphores.

I considered using etched handrails but the spacing of the vertical posts was too big. Soldering out of brass wire but I just don't think it would have been neat enough, so I settled for Slater micro rod. The vertical posts were first glued to the platform and left to set hard overnight before attempting the horizontal rails. Once these are set they will be trimmed.

Ian

post-1557-0-47390400-1345614889_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

First post here having just joined & I stumbled over this thread while looking for something else. Just thought I'd say I love this model having commuted to Banbury every day for about six months in 2011/12. Brings back some memories...

• RMweb Gold

First post here having just joined & I stumbled over this thread while looking for something else. Just thought I'd say I love this model having commuted to Banbury every day for about six months in 2011/12. Brings back some memories...

Thanks for your comments.

When travelling up to the Midlands and beyond we try to go via Banbury these days.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

No work on the layout now for a few dys but I have managed to set up the track plan in JMRI Panl Pro. Now to add ll the turnout addresses etc.

Once set up this should help operators see which wy turnouts reset via a laptop screen and thus reduce the number of derailments caused by incorrectly set turnouts.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have just done my last update to post 387 recording the consist of the Didcot/Mossend wagonload freight, as I have now moved my boat off the Oxford Canal, back onto the Kennet and Avon for the autumn and winter.

I was suprised at the lack of variety of wagons seen on the service. Other than the car tranporters, only VGA vans, OCA opens, container flats and TTA tankswere regularly seen on the train. I had expected a bit more variety.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the updates. Just ordered some more wagons for this service early this morning by coincidence. Still need ot source the car carriers but should have enough of the other wagons to do most of the combinations of this service.

Would be interesting to know what the OCA's and VGA's are used for.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

I should imagine the VGAs and OCAs are likely to be on MoD traffic being taken north on the Wagonload network. More than likely come from places like Marchwood, Bicester and Kineton to Didcot, then gone back out on 6X65 Didcot - Mossend.

I like the work on your Chiltern office unit, very smart. I'm looking forward to seeing the layout at Leamington

jo

• RMweb Gold

Jo

Thanks for the info. It's what I was guessing they would be for. I presume the OCAs are used as barrier wagons as not seen any photos of them loaded.

Still more to do on the office which should get one ready for Leamington.

Working on the semaphores tonight.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The two semaphores are nearly finished. Just needs the spectacle plates and red to the sphere below the finial at top of post and a bit of touching up of the paint. The next photo of these will be with them in place on the layout

post-1557-0-24334000-1346222818_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

If my recollection is correct, these signals were put in to allow HST sets to run up the Chiltern line, and reverse at Banbury to join the GW main line at Didcot during the time when the Caversham road bridge was being replaced in Reading. Do you ever recreate this in your running sessions?

Have the signals ever been used since that time?

• RMweb Gold

Bill

yes I recall when they went in for this diversion works over xmas 2010.

I did order a FGW HST set from soemone but then they notified me they had gone out of stock. Not heard anyhting since andnow cant find the order number to find out if they ever will get any more which I doubt. I know others still have stock but now that we have that much stock between me and my regular operators i am not sure whether to get one now. Alos not all the coaches are available yet for a full FGW HST formation.

The signals are still uses, mainly for the stopping Chiltern service that terminates in platform 1 then departs for Marylebone from this platform.

Some FGW local services also do this but they also often still head North out of Platform 1 then cross over to platform 3 to do the return service via Oxford.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick note that the layout will be at a small show in Haywards Heath, West Sussex, this Saturday.

There are a few improvements that have been made since Silverfox apart from the scenic items, such as weighting the unpowered coaches on the Farish class 168's ( we had one or two deraisl at the last show) with one set fitted with Tomix delner couplers - if these prove reliable this weekend then all the couplings on the remaining 168 sets may get these fitted in time for the International N gauge show in Leamington Spa the following weekend.

I am alao hoping to get the Shapeways FGW 165 painted (but it wont be finished) and running for this Saturday.

Ian