Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What TWO Loco's would you choose?

edcayton

Guest Natalie Graham

I have been trying to think of what I could model with just two locos and what they would need to be. First thought was maybe an LNWR 5'6" tank and a cauliflower, but on reflection I think I think I would go for a G&SWR 221 class 0-4-2 and a 266 class 0-4-4T and build a model of the Cairn Valley Line. Mmm, now there's an idea. ;)

If I was allowed to 'start from scratch' as it were I'd have a Sacre 2-4-0 tank as modified to motor engine by Mr Robinson, and a Sacre 6C, (LNER J12 to you modern types) again as modified by JGR. I would then model an imaginary extension of the St Helens branch, with some nice 4 and 6 wheel coaches, a 12 wheel auto trailer and a huge stack of ancient Lancashire PO wagons. Now that would be different - do you know, I'm almost up for it. Just wish I had the room to do it properly in S7, I think it could be potentially amazing! (I think I've just decided what to do when the Lottery comes up.)

If I was 'saving' two of the existing it would be a Pom Pom and the J10 I am dreaming about but haven't yet got around to organising...

Probably a 25 and a 40, but not the current Bachmann offerings -they can take them if I get scale ones !!!

Thinking about it then it'd be a "duck eight" and an "eight freight" - "them as am used fuwer moovin slack teh Stower port"

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

No contest - No. 4079 Pendennis Castle (I know, predictable) to start with and the second? Probably another model of No. 4079...

Such a difference between as built and when preserved that you would have quite a difference between the two.

All the best,

Castle

It is a very interesting question this one and I have enjoyed reading the answers already given. It is interesting to see a lot of people going down the route of having the most "play factor" with two locos. 

My choice would be an N Gauge Minitrix 67300 in SNCF Blue. I would also use my time machine to obtain the forthcoming Mikadotrain X2800 in Auvergne Blue. 

I am guessing that my fleet got confiscated to pay for the new carpet after I spilt paint/oil/plaster on it! 

• RMweb Gold

It is a very interesting question this one and I have enjoyed reading the answers already given. It is interesting to see a lot of people going down the route of having the most "play factor" with two locos.

My choice would be an N Gauge Minitrix 67300 in SNCF Blue. I would also use my time machine to obtain the forthcoming Mikadotrain X2800 in Auvergne Blue.

I am guessing that my fleet got confiscated to pay for the new carpet after I spilt paint/oil/plaster on it!

It depends what is meant by play factor, with mine they are the ones I had the most fun building and I simply couldn't be parted from them. An RTR loco would be no good to me, I have little interest in just watching trains go round.

It depends what is meant by play factor, with mine they are the ones I had the most fun building and I simply couldn't be parted from them. An RTR loco would be no good to me, I have little interest in just watching trains go round.

When I said Play Factor I meant operational interest. I understand what you mean about kit building though as I have a load of kits I have enjoyed making and would not want to see hypothetically removed from my collection. However if I had two locos then I would need to have a bit of variety to keep me going. 

If I ever got bored of the livery on the 67300 I could always respray it...

Mine would have to be 7mm scale and the locos would be both ex LSWR. First would be an A12 Jubilee. The the tough bit what would the second one be. It would be between M7, O2, 0395, and a superheated Black Motor. It is no good I will have to plumb for the 0395 class, with these two you can run the passenger and goods services.

Of my existing fleet, the 3.5" gauge Robin Hood (for sure, my favorite loco), and that bothersome blue engine with a #1 in OO.  Given the choice of any loco for the 2nd one, it gets more difficult.  If it was _any_ loco, then I'd like my Hudson back, thank you.  It didn't need a tender in 1988, and it doesn't need one now...

If only I would get on with building the railway for them around the house...

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Two lionheart a4s which I would sell when you weren't looking and get all my stuff back with the proceeds.

Playing the game I'd have a collet 060 and a 9f so I could still have my dnsr layout. To me, they are the signature logos of the route from my era

Archived