Covhops

davefrk

Here are mine, fitted with Romford wheels pulled out to EM gauge and now fitted with 3 links, those are a little tricky to fit with the thickness of the plastic chassis, they were drilled as best as I could and then the hook heated over the gas hob and forced in.

Still need to get the Aintree transfers from Cambridge custom transfers.

post-27-0-04452400-1400876403_thumb.jpg

Yes.... fitting couplings is a bit tricky, as there's hardly any depth behind the bufferbeam. I had to file my coupling shanks down to fit the small hole. Used Romfords too.

post-378-0-67002500-1401463228_thumb.jpg

03111 shunts a Covhop in Wibdenshaw Goods yard.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers John

That saves me doing any mods to the brake gear!

Are there enough on 35l to do 3 identical wagons or do I need one of the other sheets too?

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

Cheers John

That saves me doing any mods to the brake gear!

Are there enough on 35l to do 3 identical wagons or do I need one of the other sheets too?

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

BL35L does 12 wagons - thanks to the original enquirer, all numbers derived from Paul Bartlett's website.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 3 months later...

attachicon.gifIMG_5719 small.JPG

A quick respray with VW EISGRAUEN (Code LA6E, Ref. No. KJ94)* and application of my transfers for a Delabole slate powder wagon has, IMHO, produced a much nearer rendition of the original livery of the non-fitted COVHOPs.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

*Any good auto-factors, possibly including Halfords, should be able to mix an aerosol of this colour. For BR bauxite, I use ALFA-ROMEO BRUNO (Code A(?)R834, Ref. No. DE37).

Hi John, Please could you tell me which Bachmann model most closely resemble the Delabole slate traffic wagons .

I see they are back in stock at  Kernow Models.

Hi John, Please could you tell me which Bachmann model most closely resemble the Delabole slate traffic wagons .

I see they are back in stock at  Kernow Models.

Both grey and oxide - there were two unfitted and one vacuum piped wagons. The oxide one will require the disc brakes removing and replacing with ones to match the grey one.

B886312/3 - unfitted (grey)

B886832 - vacuum piped (oxide)

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

....the appearence of those covhops suggests that they haven't been used in traffic for some considerable time...much more likely is that they've been mouldering in a siding and are indeed destined for an appointment with the gas axe.

Dave

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just been charged for a pack of 4 Covhops from Hattons having only managed to pick up two from the first batch - so 2nd instalment is here - get them while you can, first batch of plain bauxite version vanished very quickly.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I've just been charged for a pack of 4 Covhops from Hattons having only managed to pick up two from the first batch - so 2nd instalment is here - get them while you can, first batch of plain bauxite version vanished very quickly.

Neil

Aren't these a re run of the originals, numbers and all? Not that it matters to those of us who renumber!

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Half a Rockware Glass, but in colour at least:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13661517@N06/9490868695/in/set-72157605073017415

Doncaster, Oct 75

This is the earliest picture I've seen of them in this livery (well weathered too); most others I've noticed around 1979- 80 and later.

Does anybody have any idea when the Rockware branding was first applied?

Is there a link to the Class 31 thread?

The link to the pic is interesting with a RF Large logo 31 with CovHops, which I'd have thought where withdrawn before a 31 in this livery was around? Maybe there heading for scrap?

I'm a bit late to this, but is that pic not taken at Workington? There was a flow (of Perlite, I think) from Workington Docks to the Kirkby Thore area which lasted until about 1987 and was the last revenue use of BR Covhops.

• 5 months later...

I've been bought one these models as a present. I confess that I don't know much about these vehicles, but It's the grey one (38-501) with a square axle box as opposed to roller bearings. I model the late 70s/early 80s in the North West. Would this variant still have been seen on the network around that time? If so I realise they would most probably be sporting TOPS numbers and I would have to apply suitable transfers, but other than that issue would It be protoypical running this wagon on my layout?

Archived