Covhops

davefrk

Unfortunately they have TOPS panels, but nothing a bit of weathering can't disguise..

Or careful removal with T cut and some CCT waterslides.

post-508-0-19015800-1393117829.jpg

Weathering to date has reached a bit more of an extreme state to that pictured.

Porcy

Do you want me to take a walk up the hill, and get you some real limestone slurry to weather it with?

Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike. I can save you a journey as I've still got a some Dolime (Surprising how white it still is after 40 odd years.) and Limestone in the shed. Fortunately the Dolime is in an old earthenware bed warmer. I'd hate to think it got wet as it would probably mean the Fire Brigade calling...

P

Too late for my 1961 period too - but I've pre-ordered it anyway.

A quick respray and some of my own transfers and - voila! - the original piped or fitted livery.

The COVHOPS were some of the first subjects for which I designed transfers - at that time we were anticipating the release of the Appleby Model Engineering kit!

I think that my coverage of the COVHOP has been the most exhaustive of any subject to date - I included all of the allocations copied by David Larkin from the BR records.

If you're interested, see Sheet BL35 at http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Most excellent they are too. One small point to note, however, is that I don't think that this sheet contains any numbers suitable for the disc-braked batch, lot 3431 only I think. This isn't a problem, or a criticism (after all, before the Bachmann model, I don't think this variant has been available at all in model form), just something to be aware of and an opportunity to pick up another couple of covhops in order to make better use of the transfers.

Adam

Most excellent they are too. One small point to note, however, is that I don't think that this sheet contains any numbers suitable for the disc-braked batch, lot 3431 only I think. This isn't a problem, or a criticism (after all, before the Bachmann model, I don't think this variant has been available at all in model form), just something to be aware of and an opportunity to pick up another couple of covhops in order to make better use of the transfers.

Adam

Adam,

I seem to recall that I couldn't cover the Lot 3431 wagons, as their usage / allocations weren't recorded - or at least were not available to David Larkin when he transcribed the BR records.

I'm afraid that this ommission is inevitable when, like me, you only wish to produce transfers with a 'provenance' - ie. no guesswork!

I suppose that I could offer an additional sheet of numbers only for the disc-braked one, though ..........?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think that's right John - the published Larkin data I have to hand suggested that no allocations were known to him. As I say, not a problem, I've simply had to engage in a little cut and shut. Any more I get will be the more numerous piped or unfitted varieties so the transfers will get used as intended; life is very much easier with them.

Adam

It's obviously a me thing, but I can never get 2 layers of transfers to stop in alignment, then again I don't like sealing the first one before applying the second due to it looking "lumpy.

As I said, just being greedy!

Mike.

I know what you mean - but it is essential to apply and seal the first layer before applying the second one.

If you use Klear, there will be no 'lumpiness', I promise. Don't forget, the major advantage of my transfers is the super-thin carrier film.

I too am often tempted to apply both layers in one operation - the 'can't wait to see it finished' syndrome'! As they say in my home county - it never pays to be 'asty, lad! :no:

There are several reasons why I don't usually produce numbers with black backgrounds.

Many BR wagons were originally unfitted, but were vacuum brake retrofitted. As vacuum braked wagons didn't have black patches, the transfers are more versatile.

Secondly, the black patches were rarely neatly applied, except on some new wagons. Many modellers prefer to paint a rough black patch, or to cut out my black transfer sheet as a less-than-regular rectangle.

Finally, and most significantly, Alps white ink will not stick to any other ink underlay. To print white lettering on a black background it is necessary to draw a clear image of the lettering as a 'knock-out' in the image of the black patch. It does't really matter whether I print the black or the white first - the lettering always ends up far less sharply defined than if it is printed as a single white pass.

I hope that helps to understand my policy.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Bad choice of photo. The number transfer doesn't match the one on the sole bar. Bit of weathering to cover up the number on the sole bar is called for methinks.

I wondered if anybody would comment on that.

As I'd said in an earlier post the wagon is more heavily weathered now but the number is still legible. I'll probably be fitting plasticard representations of the builders plate (and Label Clip) as the lack of relief bothers me more.

Adam has done just that here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37002-adams-em-workbench-news-from-the-workshop/page-12&do=findComment&comment=1366077

I've even tinkered with the idea of drawing up some etched builders plates but as the depth between fillets of the solebar is under scale, which would lead to an under scale builders plates, I'll give it a miss.

IMHO the fact is at normal viewing distance and with a train moving you will need exceptional eyesight to read a 4mm scale builders plate.

Tampo printing is just far to good nowadays, but having said that, 3H was moulding a representation of the builders plate number back in the early 1970's.

All modelling is a compromise... ;)

P

• 2 weeks later...

I notice the grey one is not on the "Bachmann new arrivals" page anymore.But has yet to hit the shops.

Any ideas why?

Also not listed in the Collectors Club magazine "coming soon" section. Actually, there's nothing at all listed as arriving in the next 60 days on the website, so it's either Chinese New Year & nothing's on its way or they're just enjoying keeping us in suspense.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no "Expected soon" items on the Bachmann website! I hope the Grey Covhops don't go the way of the Hall class, with some manufacturing error that wasn't spotted until too late.

Yeah, like the awful buffers one can see on the pre-production photos, I've already seen a upsurge in sales of these buffers and the wagon isn't even out yet....

Dave.

Archived