Covhops

davefrk

• 1 year later...

Minor quibble - I notice the Bachmann page referenced above says "The models are suited to both steam and diesel eras in traction compatibility" yet two of the three have TOPS codes.

Positive comment - I do like the attention to other detail in that the TOPS two have roller bearings while the unfitted grey one has oil boxes.

although they're not doing a brown one that can be run during the steam era at the moment as it has TOPS codes, there where brown ones that ran with steam, but was this the last years of steam or where brown ones around from the 1950s? 

As the piped ones were introduced in c1959 there would have been rail freight red examples for the final 10 years of steam - bearing in mind the main area of use was the North West were steam lasted the longest.

Some of the comments by others are very unfair. Obviously Bachmann have numerous potential finishes as they are doing two distinctive designs, but it is unreasonable to expect them all to come at once. It will also be more difficult for them to find pictures of the early period they existed, unless others know different.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

As the piped ones were introduced in c1959 there would have been rail freight red examples for the final 10 years of steam - bearing in mind the main area of use was the North West were steam lasted the longest...

Excellent. I can have a couple of the earlier greys already corroding in their really interesting and distinctive pattern, both the 'washing' and streaking, and the way each panel could look different; and a brand new fitted in near pristine freight brown for contrast. I don't know which local industry in the Hatfield / Welwyn Garden area took deliveries in these, might have been an operation like ICI or Nortons (both rail served) but they showed up fairly regularly onesy-twosey .

As the piped ones were introduced in c1959 there would have been rail freight red examples for the final 10 years of steam - bearing in mind the main area of use was the North West were steam lasted the longest.

The N.E. Region, particularly in Co. Durham and its peripherals was an intensive user of Covhops for bulk flows from their introduction to the mid 1980's. Tyne Yard had a dedicated siding for some of these Northbound flows on opening.

On the way to school in the early seventies my school bus would regularly be stopped, at a level crossing by a train of Covhops. (Twice, by the same train, at two different level crossings if we were lucky) A few of these flows were specifically branded.

I’m a bit busy at the mo but I’ll write these traffic flows up later if anybody is interested?

In the meantime here is a link to a pic of one of those traffic flows.

Just so happens it was taken by the Dad of a forum member.

http://www.tomorrows-history.com/images/content/DU/DU0500430001.jpg

Porcy

Very nice Paul. Is that crossing the Cornforth road on it's way to Ferryhill?

"FERRYHILL" Tut-tut. Coxhoe Junction first... you young whippersnapper... you... :)

The Low Line. Just before the "Dispute Bridge". A few yards East of...

http://www.tomorrows-history.com/images/content/DU/DU0504350001.jpg

Both previous phots by Duncans Pop.

And what it looks like now in Google street view.

http://goo.gl/maps/sM5BC

Hard to believe this was once the site of the Rosedale & Ferryhill Iron Company Works. The biggest Iron Foundary in the world in it's time...

P

Edited to sort out East from West...

Guest bri.s
  • RMweb Premium

it will be great when these finally appear as a lot of freight trains seem to have contained at least one cov hop. Problem is - for our new Layout we will need an awful lot of them and as they are a real horror to make - they will be flying off shelves as soon as they arrive.

Hopefully Bachmann will be able to get enough to satisfy what will be a big demand

• RMweb Premium

it will be great when these finally appear as a lot of freight trains seem to have contained at least one cov hop. Problem is - for our new Layout we will need an awful lot of them and as they are a real horror to make - they will be flying off shelves as soon as they arrive.

Hopefully Bachmann will be able to get enough to satisfy what will be a big demand

I believe that covhops came to the LTS line en route to Proctor and Gamble at West Thurrock but I can't recall seeing any. I'd be grateful to anyone who can confirm this.

I believe that covhops came to the LTS line en route to Proctor and Gamble at West Thurrock but I can't recall seeing any. I'd be grateful to anyone who can confirm this.

I can't confirm it, but I'd say it would be very likely- they'd be bringing sodium tri-polyphosphate from Albright and Wilson at Corkicle for detergent manufacture. They might also have worked to some of the refineries around Thameshaven; for some reason, soda-ash was used at refineries, I believe.

Archived