Covhops

davefrk

Yippee bring them on

Looks like it will have to be the unfitted grey ones for us, the CHV branding on the fitted bauxite versions probably post dates our 1971 era

Phil

Too late for my 1961 period too - but I've pre-ordered it anyway.

A quick respray and some of my own transfers and - voila! - the original piped or fitted livery.

The COVHOPS were some of the first subjects for which I designed transfers - at that time we were anticipating the release of the Appleby Model Engineering kit!

I think that my coverage of the COVHOP has been the most exhaustive of any subject to date - I included all of the allocations copied by David Larkin from the BR records.

If you're interested, see Sheet BL35 at http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

John, sheet BL35a - EMPTY TO AINTREE SIDINGS L.M.R.

do you know of a shot of a wagon carrying this?

thanks

Mike

Mike,

David Larkin gives :-

B886032 - 81 : EMPTY TO AINTREE SIDINGS L.M.R., for sodium tripolyphosphate.

Paul Bartlett has uploaded a photo of B886042 which is captioned as a sodium tripolyphosphate conversion, (which with its four circular fillers it indeed is).

It has a plain grey livery, with basic COVHOP / 24T / B886042 lettering on a black patch.

The photo was taken at Workington on 06/09/77 and there is by this time no load or EMPTY TO ... lettering.

In the absence of any photographic evidence, this particular transfer sheet does not provide any mention of sodium tripolyphosphate; simply the COVHOP, load, number, tare, unloading instructions and the RETURN TO ..... lettering.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

thanks John thats great, yes as Phil says, grey or bauxite and would I have to modify the roofs? be interested to know what years this was too if possible. ie how early? I know when Aintree sidings closed just want to know is this from when the wagon was built in the 1950s or the last few years that the sidings existed,

as Phil says, grey or bauxite and would I have to modify the roofs? be interested to know what years this was too if possible. ie how early? I know when Aintree sidings closed just want to know is this from when the wagon was built in the 1950s or the last few years that the sidings existed,

As per my posting above, PB's photo shows a grey livery in 1977; also as above, the sodium tripolyphosphate wagons had different loading arrangements.

As far as I know, the BR records copied by David Larkin were the original allocations of the wagons as built. This begs the question; if the allocation and mention of sodium tripolyphosphate refer to the wagons as built then it would be reasonable to assume that the revised loading arrangements were an as-built variant, not a rebuild.

BL35e John - fitted or unfitted?

And same as Michael - is there a photo anywhere?

BL35e - also sodium tripolyphosphate wagons; B886010 - 31; EMPTY TO OLDBURY W.R.

PB has also posted a photo of B886029, taken at Warrington BQ on 26/06/81, and shows a bauxite liveried wagon with no sign of RETURN TO ... lettering by that date. The loading arrangements are not too clear, but suggest the sodium tripolyphosphate hatches.

Incidentally, both of the wagons in PBs photos have shrouded roller bearings; you should be able to find these photos at PBs site.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

On any wagon I doubt the concept of Return to survived the introduction of TOPS - wagons were placed in Pools and those numbers were applied to the wagons - although they chopped and changed regularly. Before that I also suspect Return to had gone earlier - replaced by a permanent engraved plate in the wagon label clip - EMPTY TO....

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Notified by Hattons that my order for the bauxite version has been picked.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ditto me also. Got Hattons notification Friday & ordered 8 last night. Posted at 10.43 today.

Now I wouldn't normally do this just in stock quick order malarkey (I don't like to pre-order either), but with things as they are, they may well sell out quick, then a long wait again !!. I need 12 for a block train behind an 8F (that I remember seeing passing through Wigan back in the late 60's). I'll order 4 grey uns when they are in stock. Yes the bauxite ones will need a little renumbering, tops panels painting over, but not to bad.

I've been waiting YEARS for a train of Covhops !!!!!!!!!!!!

Now what we (I) need is the Long Meg Anhydrite wagons (need 21 of them), - wishfull thinking I know !!

Brit15

Building 20 odd of those would be a labour of love. Be a heavy train also with all that metal.

My 8 Covhops (ordered 8pm Sunday) arrived this morning - they are earning their keep already. I'm well pleased with them, nice smooth runners and I can't fault them. This is how I remember them, rolling through Wigan behind an 8F.

post-6884-0-46114300-1387889107.jpg

post-6884-0-91173100-1387889116.jpg

post-6884-0-05198000-1387889128.jpg

Early Xmas !!

Brit15

Building 20 odd of those would be a labour of love. Be a heavy train also with all that metal.

My 8 Covhops (ordered 8pm Sunday) arrived this morning - they are earning their keep already. I'm well pleased with them, nice smooth runners and I can't fault them. This is how I remember them, rolling through Wigan behind an 8F.

attachicon.gifDSCF6105 (800x600).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF6106 (800x600).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF6122 (800x600).jpg

Early Xmas !!

Brit15

I must admit, until mine arrived this morning, I hadn't realised that Bachmann have modelled the disc-braked fitted version rather than the vacuum-piped one. Not sure when this final version was introduced, being away from my references for a few days.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

So the new £13 rtr model is not quite as good as the £34 etched kit (which presumably needs wheels, paint, transfers etc). Shocking news.

Undoubtedly Bachmann could produce a better model if priced at £40, couldn't see them selling many though

The same old debate rages on and worth looking at the Hornby open letter in the end of the new ModelRail magazine. You pays your money and you takes your choice? In terms of Bachmann wagons they are generally excellent and will run well. Modellers in the UK are renowned for being 'tight wads' and friends on the continent cannot believe how cheaply we can buy high quality models. Me? I will take the RTR model in this case. Shame for the kit guys, but there are always gaps..... a decent ICI bogie limestone hopper wouldn't go amiss!!

Quick heads up for the Covhoppers on here.

Just looking at Hattons website and the Bauxite covhops no longer listed, shown as sold out with no anticipated restock date :O  :O

The email re stock arriving is less than a week ago :O

Now I don't normaly pre-order things, but I have pre-ordered 4 grey 'uns and 2 sand 'uns - that's me done. It looks like what others are saying on other threads re short order runs etc etc is true.

Yes there are other shops, but ISTR someone saying some model shops received only a couple of models.

It seems if you really want some baccy covhops (as I have done for years), search & buy em ASAP.

Brit15

Archived