Covhops

davefrk

• 2 weeks later...

Ive learned that Aintree was an assembly point for these and some had "Return to Aintree Sidings LMR", on them which is on Cambridge Custom Transfers BL35a, Ive never seen any shots of them in the Aintree or indeed Liverpool area, but its made me want some more now.

do we know of any photos of the real thing with this writing?

Mornin' all,

There are a number of compromises on these models due to the use of moulded plastic in areas demanding the use of etched detail. If you are prepared to invest the necessary time, effort and money then the Bill Bedford resin/etched brass covhop kit (unfortunately shown as withdrawn on his site) is the route to a better version. 

Maybe Bill will consider making available his etches as a detailing/upgrading pack? 

Dave

Ive learned that Aintree was an assembly point for these and some had "Return to Aintree Sidings LMR", on them which is on Cambridge Custom Transfers BL35a, Ive never seen any shots of them in the Aintree or indeed Liverpool area, but its made me want some more now.

do we know of any photos of the real thing with this writing?

In 1971 or 2 I walked across the playing fields and there were covhops in Edge Hill C&w. To this day I regret not going back for a camera. [There was also a BR GWR fruit van with the vents covered and ex single bolsters as coils].

Paul

Edited to correct the date!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have finally stumbled across a picture of a train containing covhops in the London area - at least I'm pretty sure that's what they are.  The photo, in Modern Locomotives Illustrated 186, features D8403 pulling a mixed freight from the docks through Canning Town. 

Have finally stumbled across a picture of a train containing covhops in the London area - at least I'm pretty sure that's what they are.  The photo, in Modern Locomotives Illustrated 186, features D8403 pulling a mixed freight from the docks through Canning Town. 

Sugar to Tate & Lyle @ Silvertown ??

I wonder if they were used for Delabole slate traffic before Presflos appeared?

....you may be interested in the wagons adj. to the goods shed in this 1964ish pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5732822011/in/set-72157626748755256

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice!

Wonder what traffic that was?

Phil

Hello Phil

I agree with others that it was slate dust from Delabole. A pic on page 94 of the Irwell Press book, The North Cornwall Railway, shows some Presflos going through Tower Hill station (the one in Cornwall that is, not London) and there is more detail about the traffic on pp.131-135.

Brian

Archived