Midland Railex Exhibition 2012

EE 8SVT

• RMweb Premium

As with all exhibitions I'm sure there are things that can be improved upon and Steve has already posted that he's working on it. The size of the site alone is a challenge but what a lot of stuff to see!

For us exhibitors though is was great fun. Well looked after in terms of food, beer and entertainment. There seemed to be a lot of Duffs about but certainly no duff beer!

post-7010-0-55667200-1345541598.jpg

It seems that driving toy trains needs some fairly serious concentration...

post-7010-0-92260500-1345541676.jpg

While the exhibitors struggled with their unhealthy salads (delicious by the way) the Warners team were sticking to their regime of exercise and healthy eating...

post-7010-0-21598700-1345541763.jpg

Well worth the trip.

Cheers

Dave

the Warners team were sticking to their regime of exercise and healthy eating...

Oi! That's our working lunch in progress. Next time we'll come up with a list of riders including hand delivered healthy option foods. ;)

Oi! That's our working lunch in progress. Next time we'll come up with a list of riders including hand delivered healthy option foods. ;)

Also for next year at Andy’s request we shall be installing a MOBILE PHONE SIGNAL REPEATER system, for the Diesel Shed, to enable him take his “important phone calls” inside in comfort at the RM-web stand!

Steve

Railex Team

Also for next year at Andy’s request we shall be installing a MOBILE PHONE SIGNAL REPEATER system, for the Diesel Shed, to enable him take his “important phone calls” inside in comfort at the RM-web stand!

Steve

Railex Team

I hope this is just a temporary arrangement, the lack of a good mobile signal at Swanwick, come in useful when you are trying to get away from the day job

Gary

I found this show excellent ok there was packed trains from butterly but that just gave us an excuse to walk up the trackside path looking out over the scenery very nice only 10 mins and where else can you potter round the locos sat in the yard without getting chased off well done gentlemen will post some pics later

Edit as I can't spell

• RMweb Gold

Damn I was going to suggest an underground themed layout area for the ash pit!

Certainly glad of the high energy snack in with our lunch to power us around the site. Someone did suggest we modelled the rest of the mountains so we could have a glacier and provide ice for drinks ;)

• RMweb Gold

I had a cracking time - what a great venue and good value too - fortunately I had all day so was able to explore the site thoroughly - and I agree how nice to be able to potter around and photograph the full size locos - the Class 02 shunter was a real bonus for me. Only gripe was my continued failure to get on a train down to Riddings but I do understand the need to keep people moving between Butterly and the main site. I do have some photos to post when I have more time

Chris

As mentioned by others, one of the good things about such an event as this is being able to wander around and find things to look at. A few wagons that attracted attention from my camera.

post-7483-0-06605700-1345589978_thumb.jpg

post-7483-0-14782500-1345589991_thumb.jpg

post-7483-0-82612900-1345590004_thumb.jpg

And a big thank you to Paul Bartlett for answering a question I had about a particular wagon.

Graham

Finally got round to processing my photos from the weekend.

While most of the exhibitors had a run on the pair of 47s to Riddings and back, I wasn't going to let the superb light that evening go to miss.

D212 basking in the evening light.

post-6712-0-49973200-1345641832_thumb.jpg

45108 outside the shed. A timeless scene almost....

post-6712-0-99167800-1345641638_thumb.jpg

The pair of 47s returning.

post-6712-0-69465200-1345642038_thumb.jpg

We then gained a further run behind them, with a nice sunset to boot.

post-6712-0-44042600-1345641901_thumb.jpg

The morning gave equally good photography conditions. Myself and Paul (one of the organisers) deciding to pose D1501 outside the signalbox.

post-6712-0-92054100-1345641858_thumb.jpg

An earlier shot with 20048.

post-6712-0-67313200-1345641611_thumb.jpg

D4 basking in the morning light. Compare the disc positions with Andy Y's photo on an earlier page.

post-6712-0-37158900-1345641804_thumb.jpg

Finally, 73129 viewed from the signalbox (thanks again to Paul for allowing me to take this) departing for Hammersmith.

post-6712-0-85267700-1345641778_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Line up of 47’s on Monday 20th August 2012

From right to left are:

47270 / 47401/ 47749/ D1501/ D1516 & 47761

The Railex Team, Sponsors and Supporters would like to thank:

Colas Rail for providing 47749

East Lancashire Railway for providing D1501

West Coast Railways for providing 47270 for display and the movement of D1501 to and from the event.

The staff and volunteers from all of the above organisations worked very hard to provide the locomotives for the event; this is very much appreciated by all involved with the event.

Steve

Railex Manager

post-12870-0-85537800-1345647336_thumb.jpg

Not many pictures of the layouts then?

steve :resent:

Hi Steve

I am sure these will soon follow, as lots of people were taking photos of layouts ,when I walked around the site.Looking forward to seeing these, as I did not get chance to have a look at any the layouts properly, just a quick glance at each as I toured the Railex site.

Also feel sure that both Andy and Richard took plenty of photos of the layouts over the weekend, when we revamp the Railex website we intend to have a gallery section, so if anyone wants to submit any photos please PM them.

Many thanks for bringing Black Rock Buffalo, hope you had a good journey home to Hull, look forward to seeing you both soon.

Steve

Railex Team

• 2 weeks later...

All these new Railex events has anyone asked the origonal Railex permision to use the name ?

As far as Midland Railex is concerned, It would not be right to say that this was a "Model Railway Exhibition" as it is much more than that!

There were so many other railway related attractions that "Railex" is the only suitable word to describe this great event.

Reading the debate on Exhibitions on this forum and the need for change. This is the type of event that I think will succeed as it attracts not just modellers but railway enthusiasts in general.

Hope to be there as a punter next year!

Cheers

Frank

Congratulations to the Midland Railex team; this year's event has obviously been very worthwhile in supporting the Midland Railway - Butterley.

The Midland Railway Trust and the Midland Railex Committee are pleased to announce the financial results for the recent August 2012 exhibition at the Midland Railway Butterley.

A total contribution of £23,000.00 was raised for the Trust from the event; this will be spent by the Trust on projects on the MR-B site and specifically towards the completion of the Swanwick Station area.

The above figure is a 40% increase on last year’s figure; we had hoped that we could realistically expect a 5 to 10% increase for our second year.

We would like to say a big thank you to all of the following:

To all of the visitors who attended the Midland Railex and helped achieve this fantastic result, we look forward to welcoming you to next year’s event.

To all of the supporters/sponsors without your help the show would not have been possible and we thank you for your support and look forward to working with you next year on Midland Railex 2013.

To all the volunteers both from within the MR-B and from outside the railway, who gave up their time before, during and after the show.

I would also like to thank Colas Rail, West Coast Railways and the East Lanc’s Railway, for their help and assistance in providing Class 47 locomotives for the event.

• 4 weeks later...

Midland Railex 2012 cheque presentation ceremony On Wednesday 03 October 2012

On Wednesday a cheque was presented to the Midland Railway Trust for £23,000.00, by the Midland Railex Team and the event supporters/sponsors, this represents the total amount raised, from the recent August Midland Railex event.

post-12870-0-47875800-1349360929.jpg

Present at the ceremony are from left to right:

John Emerson Editor BRM representing the Warners Group

Margaret Garratt representing the Historical Model Railway Society (HMRS) & Midland Railex Team

Alan Calladine Business Development Manager Midland Railway Butterley

The Midland Railex Team and the Midland Railway Trust would like to thank all of the supporters/sponsors who have provided assistance for the 2012 event.

Details for the 2013 event will be announced soon.

Steve S

Railex Exhibition Manager

As mentioned by others, one of the good things about such an event as this is being able to wander around and find things to look at. A few wagons that attracted attention from my camera.

post-7483-0-06605700-1345589978_thumb.jpg

And a big thank you to Paul Bartlett for answering a question I had about a particular wagon.

Graham

Dear Graham.

Thanks, I don't often emerge from my computer lair so it would be useful to know if this kind of attendance is useful.

By the way, beware of all conservation sites, liveries can be misleading. The HAYS one is a fiction (and I hope the Bass Charrington Grain covhops will soon return to their correct PO livery, the LMS diagram one in BR pseudo numbering is very misleading!)

Archived