RMweb

Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

Good to see this again, especially with the improved condition. 

Takes me back to when I used to manage the footpath maintenance on the Cambs side of the border thereabouts. Much of the canal was filled in as well as the tramway closing, but before my time there. Interesting part of the world.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mullie said:

I don't get exited by new releases from the major manufacturers and to be honest most pass me buy. Even those of a Great Eastern ilk seem to present problems in converting to EM. I don't fancy spending a considerable sum on a new loco only to chuck the chassis, the Rapido trams being a case in point, all looked too busy underneath to convert easily so at the moment my ancient resin kits will continue to do the job while I ponder an upgrade.

Whilst I have not really started on them yet, I have found resin GER loco bodies from CDC Design extremely good and economical. I bought a GER S56 fully painted and liveried for £57. It was designed to fit a Terrier RTR chassis (which looked all wrong) but with a bit of adaption fits the Southeastern Finecast J69 chassis etch. CDC also do both R24 and C72 bodies (which are only £42 in LNER livery (as is the E22)

One of these might make a nice winter project, especially if you can source a decent chassis

www.cdc-design.net  

Also in an eBay lot I bought a set of brass body etchings  for an E22, and sourced an etched chassis from London Road Models (they sell the ex-Rice Works model) hoping I have most of the castings in my spares boxes

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

Whilst I have not really started on them yet, I have found resin GER loco bodies from CDC Design extremely good and economical. I bought a GER S56 fully painted and liveried for £57. It was designed to fit a Terrier RTR chassis (which looked all wrong) but with a bit of adaption fits the Southeastern Finecast J69 chassis etch. CDC also do both R24 and C72 bodies (which are only £42 in LNER livery (as is the E22)

One of these might make a nice winter project, especially if you can source a decent chassis

www.cdc-design.net  

Also in an eBay lot I bought a set of brass body etchings  for an E22, and sourced an etched chassis from London Road Models (they sell the ex-Rice Works model) hoping I have most of the castings in my spares boxes

I too have been looking at the CDC resin body locos and options for chassis. There was an article about fitting the SE finecast J69 chassis to one of the bodies in the GE Society News I think by Paul Goldsmith. I am reviewing options as I can see a point where I retire the J70s and replace with J67s and 69s in the style of the Kelvedon and Tollesbury line if I can get some W&U Eveleigh kits later this year. I would really like some of the four wheeled stock rather than bogie coaches, I know they were withdrawn by my period but the six wheel versions are not available.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mullie said:

I too have been looking at the CDC resin body locos and options for chassis. There was an article about fitting the SE finecast J69 chassis to one of the bodies in the GE Society News I think by Paul Goldsmith. I am reviewing options as I can see a point where I retire the J70s and replace with J67s and 69s in the style of the Kelvedon and Tollesbury line if I can get some W&U Eveleigh kits later this year. I would really like some of the four wheeled stock rather than bogie coaches, I know they were withdrawn by my period but the six wheel versions are not available.

Do look out for wither Wills Finecast ( early Southeastern Finecast )  Southeastern Finecast kits and kit built locos. You could end up with a cheap kit built Wills Finecast / early Southeastern Finecast (cast chassis) complete with wheels and motor, easily converted to EM gauge. I have bought a couple of well built and painted Wills and just replaced the chassis for an etched one,

On the other hand I have in the past brought a complete unbuilt SEF kit, kept the wheels, motor and gears, then sold on the kit for more or less what I paid for it in the first place. J68 & 69 are now freely available and don't fetch silly prices, its just a case of keeping your eyes open

As for CDC bodies they are easy to adapt to fit an etched chassis, talk to the owner as I have a feeling he has an option available for some kits to sell a revised body   

• Thanks 1

On 16/09/2023 at 17:48, mullie said:

can be done s long as you can accept drive on middle axle and reduce suspension , I did one it has effectively a rigid chassis bu with sideplay it negotiates most point work I have run it on 9EM by the way)

• Like 1

Another shot of the workbench in the white heat of soldered kit construction  to show what basic methods I use. Odd scraps of card and blu tac mainly to hold things in place and rest things on. The dense foam is useful on which to place the sides already fitted with hinges, window frames and ventilators. These days I have to wear a mask for soldering.

20230922_200207.jpg.9c2e0efef342af4308c43279486ac3ff.jpg

Here is the second coach body soldered up and in need of a good clean having just finished soldering the sides and ends together. It is standing on a piece of glass rescued from a piece of garden furniture that had rotted away in the salty elements, the body is square. Next job is to solder bracing pieces round the bottom, detail the ends, fold over the top flaps and solder the roof. The kit is well designed and goes together relatively easily.

20230922_195751.jpg.51f231f1421a1fb43703b24c530e0d65.jpg

I amaze myself every time I complete something like this. During the week I work on projects for around three hours in one hour sessions often starting around 9pm after I've finished what ever else I need/want to do. My phone and bluetooth speaker are a vital part of any modelling session.

I no longer need to work in the evenings (after a full on days work) which still feels strange having done so for over thirty years. I no longer teach music though early evening is often spent on music related projects. I do more practical music now I no longer teach it during the day, a sad indictment of modern teaching demands.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 17

Preparations for the Poole show are underway. Stock is having the couplings checked, the gauge is checking height on both locos and stock. The wagon is acting as a master, all wagons have to couple and uncouple easily. Back to backs have been checked where necessary.

20231009_194442.jpg.7d9424d9e1206e024e25b0dfa1122b8d.jpg

The layout is currently being set up in the garage so everything can be checked. Being Portland this isn't straightforward as the garage has a slope from front to back and side to side so levelling has taken some time.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, mullie said:

..... snipped ...

The layout is currently being set up in the garage so everything can be checked. Being Portland this isn't straightforward as the garage has a slope from front to back and side to side so levelling has taken some time.

Must be something about the builders here on the island. Our drive is laid almost level with just a slight fall for drainage but the garage floor is on a fairly steep cross angle just like yours.

• Like 2

Stock is packed.

20231014_140832.jpg.11ae9ac5607a5a36bd8396f2bd6cf59e.jpg

20231014_140904.jpg.8f037a10f55e2c1701f9d60b1b34d2fc.jpg

Photos a bit dingy, they are so I can remember where everything goes when re packing.

The Mario Cart is loaded ready for an early start to Poole, the layouts first non SWAG showing. If any RM Webbers come along please say hello.

20231014_162127.jpg.bf4c2011c53a75d74adcae51bfec9436.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, mullie said:

Now returned from the Poole show, a good day, the layout largely behaved itself and ran well. A lot of lessons were learnt as the layout was run much more intensively than the SWAG day which was more of a social occasion as it was the first post covid SWAG. Here is the layout set up.

20231015_102716.jpg.f59ae59dfefec1cc9d6bfac72f156b94.jpg

A tram goes about its business. 

20231015_102737.jpg.c7e33c6ab9c08565c8e5f1b83286f2e8.jpg

Glad it went well. Too many other things going on today to get across to Poole.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/10/2023 at 23:21, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Wouldn't be because the wind blows rain under the garage door, would it ?? Otherwise you could end up with a kitchen full of water.

manna

The rain washes down the road at quite a rate when it is heavy, downhill again. Occasionally a drain outside the garage door gets blocked if I don't keep an eye on it, at this time of year leaves blow off the trees on the cricket pitch over the road.

To relieve what is quite a boring post I'll just place this here.

20230903_141934.jpg.a18fe33786c212d69b4e5c7c690db0f2.jpg

• Like 18

I should have said that I was asked for layout details by a few people about attending other shows. 

I have produced a small flyer that outlines layout footprint etc and my contact details, makes things much easier. 

• Like 4

Thank you for your support at Poole show last Sunday it was great to see the layout and it really is as good as the photographs.

Hopefully you may be up for bringing Upbech St Mary next year?

Many thanks

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steve45 said:

Thank you for your support at Poole show last Sunday it was great to see the layout and it really is as good as the photographs.

Hopefully you may be up for bringing Upbech St Mary next year?

Many thanks

Steve

If you would like the layout I'm sure that can be arranged.  I would like to take this part of the layout out in public,  it has only ever been seen in a virtual exhibition.

Many thanks 

Martyn 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1