Hi All,

Thanks for all the positive comments - she may well be motive power for the RMWEB tour this year so it will be great for you all to be (re)introduced to her! You are definitely right about the paint Mr B - it had faded to an almost (dare I say it) LNER shade and looked most odd. When you slid the cab shutters back the original shade was still there and it was amazing to see just how far the shade went!

Hmmm - tavern car livery... Now THERE is a though! Nobody's done that one before and the bar would have its own central heating too! The beer might get a bit too warm though! Hopefully this is a good reflection on how, well, errr, reflective she will be!

Correct on her being a 1946 build Buffalo - so it is liveries from there onwards are the only choice. Mind you, one wag in the team suggested FGW purple. Yes, with the big pink swirly stripe thingy! I suppose they have been kind enough to make No. 57604 look like our Pendennis Castle so we SHOULD return the favour... I think also that if we did that we would be politely but firmly asked to leave and never darken Didcot with our paintbrushes again!

This has been a pretty quick job Mike - it would have been faster had the boiler not been as bad as it was but still, it's great she is nearly back with us!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 12

Mind you, one wag in the team suggested FGW purple. Yes, with the big pink swirly stripe thingy! I suppose they have been kind enough to make No. 57604 look like our Pendennis Castle so we SHOULD return the favour... I think also that if we did that we would be politely but firmly asked to leave and never darken Didcot with our paintbrushes again!

Could be worse. Could be the old 'fag packet' livery ...

it will be great to see this one in steam.

And to hear it too - having travelled up the hill from Ricky to Amersham behind it (very quickly!) as well as many trips on the demonstration line at Didcot, I can vouch for the sheer pleasure of sitting back and enjoying the acoustic experience. It's fantastic to have it back again - many thanks to Castle and his team for bringing back an old friend. If only it could be let out for a day to work an all-stations Thames Valley local to Reading.......

David

• Like 1

Well done with 4144, good to see her running again. I recently found this buried in a box of photos showing her in the last running period with Hawksworth livery. It is one of the "official" Railway Experience Day shots of the group, I am afraid I don't have a date, but it must have been sometime between 2000 and 2005: -

post-3433-0-44164700-1424424299_thumb.jpg

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 7

She looks fantastic Castle. It's great to hear of the mix of youth and experience that you have on your team. Your thread continues to give a fascinating insight into the expertise and hard work at Didcot, and the mechanical innards of steam locomotives, as does your superb book.

Cheers

Simon

Hi All,

Thanks for all the positive comments and great pictures and recollections of the big prairie! Simon, thanks very much for your kind words about the book too - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi SJRixon,

Thanks for the compliments - I haven't seen the film yet so I will have to wait for a hard copy to turn up in the local newsagents! No. 93 is a bit of a beast isn't it?! It is great fun to be on and operate but wasn't set up with maintainence in mind shall we say... With any luck she will be running on the RMWEB tour but I will confirm the rostered engines closer to the time. Personally I think the ideal roster would be Nos. 93 and 4144...

All the best,

Castle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Stop Press: Castle ACTUALLY does some work on a railway model project!

That's right folks - I have finally got my finger out and done a bit of work on a 4mm scale subject! After all the distractions I have had recently it was nice to do a little bit of work on the Little Didcot fleet. I hope everyone is enjoying the DVD that came with BRM this month that features a lovely collection of locomotives and rolling stock of all shapes and sizes from Didcot, some great layouts, that nice editor chap Ben and some hairy hat wearer that happened to be in the shed at the time!

Well, the chosen project for forward progress was what I refer to as Little Didcot's 'outsize load' train. The eventual idea is to have the following combination of vehicles:

Large Prairie No. 4144

Diagram A.6 POLLEN Es Nos. 84997, 84998, 84999 & 85000 carrying a pair of bridge side girders.

Diagram J.9 MITE B twin pair Nos. 32337 & 32338 carrying some large steel beams (supposedly for the same bridge project that the side girders are for in my mind at least!).

Diagram AA.15 TOAD No. 68684

So the score at the beginning of today the 41 was done and dusted, the first pair of the POLLEN Es were done, the second pair were on the shelf half finished with the girder still in the sprues unbuilt, the kit to build the MITEs were in a box somewhere (!) and the TOAD was in GWR Freight Grey with the gloss on it to put the transfers on.

So after a good bit of Sherlock Holmes type activity the unfinished POLLENS were dragged out of the dark hole they were hiding in. They were in yellow filler primer and it was really showing up the granular finish of the 3D printing material they were made out of.

post-14393-0-79117000-1428955060_thumb.jpg

My solution was to sand the flat bits, well, er, flatter and then replace it with some rivet transfers. I got one POLLEN Es completely done and ready for transfers, the second one in progress and when I got bored with sanding I constructed and primed the girder.

post-14393-0-97099800-1428955264_thumb.jpg

Elementary Watson - it was hiding in the last place I would think of looking!

post-14393-0-85574700-1428955321_thumb.jpg

The TOAD is still just grey however...

And on that bombshell!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

No-one can accuse you of being idle just because you haven't worked on the 4mm version for a while.

My Dad loved your book ( and so did I before he got given it......)

Hi All,

A little Little Didcot update...

Not massive progress today - I had a few things to do including ordering a few bits for the 1:1 scale Castle. The body colour of painting on the components has been completed and here is a bit of component balancing to show the basic idea of the train.

Up front is the mighty Prairie No. 4144 and the original Dia. A6 POLLEN E outer wagons from the 1909 4 vehicle coupled set.

post-14393-0-86896700-1429041631_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-36634900-1429041665_thumb.jpg

Then we have the 1930s rebuilt centre wagons that are the focus of the current efforts. The wooden packing and chains still need adding.

post-14393-0-14736300-1429041793_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-54618700-1429041813_thumb.jpg

And then the TOAD - the gloss coat didn't seem to have covered evenly in the two spots I needed to lay transfers down (D'oh!) so it got another coat and is hardening off for more fun tomorrow!

post-14393-0-04904300-1429041909_thumb.jpg

I didn't put a pile of white metal bits in between the POLLENS and the TOAD as it kind of spoilt the effect... I did cut the old tension lock couplings off the end panels today but I will do a full write up on these later on.

Two days in a row? There will be all sorts of progress if this type of thing carries on...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Interesting stock and loads, Castle. Your models are always a little bit different somehow - in the positive sense! - perhaps because your modelling draws on a real railway environment, even if it's a preservation one?

I hope all of that yellow filler primer has been covered by a more noble colour, what an awful sight!  :) 

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for that - I do try to bring in my experience from the 1:1 scale stuff so it is gratifying to hear that from someone else! Weathering is something that possibly comes a bit easier as the things still get dirty in the same way preservation or otherwise.perhaps not to the same extent however. One thing I like to try to imbue is the weight and the solidity of the machines. That is quite an abstract concept I suppose but if it looks dirty and heavy in the right way it will probably look right!

All the best,

Castle

EDIT: Yes - the yellow is long gone! It's now BR unfitted freight vehicle grey...

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

post-5983-0-11007000-1429087238.jpg

Slightly off topic but Shapeways now have the GWR ATC chairs and brackets available in 7mm.

Thanks to Castle for providing many detailed pictures of the ATC ramp at Didcot and without your help this wouldn't have happened.

A detail nearly always left off models.

I'm on the scrounge again if your able to help, this time it's GWR buffer stops, the plan is to have these 3D printed again in 7mm but these could also probably be done in 4 mm as well.

Many thanks again Castle for all your help

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

My pleasure - I'm glad it came out so well! Any chance of a 4mm scale version too please?

All the best,

Castle

You've beaten me to it Castle. I would definitely be up for some in 4mm.