Hi All,

This thread is becoming more and more like a Carry On movie... I can only finish by saying oooh errr!

I have had a busy week so not a great deal of progress but between filler and paint coats on the POLLEN Es and TOAD (not very interesting to take pictures of - it's like watching paint - and filler - dry!) I have started building an etched lever frame kit out of a desire for something a little different to do. I was rather taken by the one on show at Railex on the Scalefour Society (don't worry, there isn't going to be a sudden change of gauge in the thread - no disrespect to those very admirable people that do true scale gauges but that is DEFINITELY something I don't have the time for - if I want to see stuff run before I retire it has to be OO for me unfortunately!) so I thought I would experiment and have a go at building one. Well, it's actually two because it's going to be a 10 lever frame...

Electronically interlocked...

Oh dear, what have I started now?!?

I will post a few pictures later in the weekend.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Yet more strange goings on - on shed...

It would seem that a non copper cap chimney type, non brass safety valve bonneted type of an occurrence has, well, occurred! The T9 is visiting us as part of a swap for the summer season to allow Bodmin to make use of the heavy hitting power of No. 5322 while enabling us to display No. 30120 to a whole new audience. Shades of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway it would seem...

post-14393-0-39551100-1404430766_thumb.jpg

It really is a great chance to see any visiting loco operating up close in a way that isn't easily possible in quite the same way elsewhere so, if Greyhounds are your thing, the clock is ticking...

No. 30120s operating dates are on the DRC website.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

It would seem that a non copper cap chimney type, non brass safety valve bonneted type of an occurrence has, well, occurred! The T9 is visiting us as part of a swap for the summer season to allow Bodmin to make use of the heavy hitting power of No. 5322 while enabling us to display No. 30120 to a whole new audience. Shades of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway it would seem...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It really is a great chance to see any visiting loco operating up close in a way that isn't easily possible in quite the same way elsewhere so, if Greyhounds are your thing, the clock is ticking...

All the best,

Castle

Interesting - the last time I saw that one it was painted in LSWR livery and standing on Eastleigh shed (which would be around 50 years ago  :O )

• Like 2

Hi All,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

All the best,

Castle

Ah that's more like it, I knew one day Didcot would find cure. I suppose it went in a black coat, so the other engines did not get jealous and want a proper green coat themselves.

Ah that's more like it, I knew one day Didcot would find cure. I suppose it went in a black coat, so the other engines did not get jealous and want a proper green coat themselves.

How very dare you...*

The fact is it is another interesting steam engine that I haven't seen before outside a museum setting and it will give you Southern types an opportunity to experience the locomotive up close Didcot style.

We are all steam geeks after all!

All the best,

Castle

*Just kidding!

• Like 1

Well I was needing an excuse to pop on over and it looks like that is it. I need to renew my membership anyway so I will try to get over tomorrow.

Thanks for posting that Castle.

• Like 3

OK, so it's not truly Great Western, but it was designed by a GWR man and some say it looked a bit like a Saint in original form.....

post-14921-0-53102600-1404648199_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hijack Castle!

Edited by 69843
  • Like 5

I'm always surprised....by how a different paint job.....effects who is interested i it. I know that people want the correct livery for their layouts, and can understand if the livery is correct for where it is being shown off it has more local interest. And that the era has it's input into this equation.

But when I go look at the actual locos it is more about the elements of its build that I find interesting when you have the opportunity to be up close and personal (especially when people who are knowledgeable can discuss such facts) 

Saying that...when we buy locos....I am often influenced by what I consider the most attractive livery......so clearly though I don't consciously consider it.....colour is a major factor. and the longer a loco 

the more liveries that is likely to have had.

Vie la difference!!!!

• Like 1

"I'm always surprised....by how a different paint job.....effects who is interested i it"

Funny you say that...

There's been a massive uproar about 3526 on an Australian Rail Page, as we recently announced we would be painting 3526 Blue, as it used to run in the 1930s on the Caves Express. However, the 35 Class underwent semi-major rebuilds through their lives since that time (new cabs, new frames and valiencing over the running boards to name the most obvious), and look a bit different to that time.

People are now up in arms about it, stating that that is the stupidest idea they have ever heard, and that it shouldn't be painted Blue as it never was like that in Blue. However, it represents a major part of the locomotives history, as well as the history of the railways, and not to mention 3526 was already Blue in the same condition in the 1960/70s.

It's just a coat of paint... :dontknow:

• Like 1

How very dare you...*

The fact is it is another interesting steam engine that I haven't seen before outside a museum setting and it will give you Southern types an opportunity to experience the locomotive up close Didcot style.

We are all steam geeks after all!

All the best,

Castle

*Just kidding!

I notice that the T9 waited until Truro had been stopped before showing its face on GWR territory...

• Like 1

Castle,

I apologise for another hijacking, but I found a list of changes made to 4079 Pendennis Castle while out here on the Pilbara Railways Historical Society website. While I am sure you know of these changes, others that drop by may be interested in it:

MODIFICATIONS MADE IN W.A. 
Fitting of electric headlight and markers to comply with Australian regulations. 
Fitting of steam-driven turbo-generator and electricals. 
Fitting of two Gresham and Craven live steam injectors, to replace unreliable live steam and exhaust steam injectors originally fitted to the locomotive. 
Fitting of step and grab iron to front driver’s side of locomotive for easy access to smokebox. 
Fitting of two UHF two-way radios (H.I. standard), powered by wet-cell battery, trickle charged from turbo-generator. 
Fitting of Westinghouse air brake gauge from train. 
Replacement of old asbestos and fibreglass lagging with new fibreglass insulating materials. 
Reconstruction of brick arch with modern refactory blocks reinforced with stainless-steel needles. 
Provision of bronze cylinder lining and piston rings to all cylinder cocks. 
Rebuilding of all internal baffles and top sheets to tender’s water space. 
Replacement of corroded sections of boiler cladding. 
Total repaint in poly-urethane paints as per original details.

The train used a Westinghouse brake system controlled by Pendennis Castle’s vacuum brakes through a proportional valve fitted on the water gin

• Like 1

...MODIFICATIONS MADE IN W.A. 

Fitting of two Gresham and Craven live steam injectors, to replace unreliable live steam and exhaust steam injectors originally fitted to the locomotive. ...

Will 4079 be keeping these, since they were shown to work better?

Castle,

I apologise for another hijacking, but I found a list of changes made to 4079 Pendennis Castle while out here on the Pilbara Railways Historical Society website. While I am sure you know of these changes, others that drop by may be interested in it:

MODIFICATIONS MADE IN W.A.

Fitting of electric headlight and markers to comply with Australian regulations.

Fitting of steam-driven turbo-generator and electricals.

Fitting of two Gresham and Craven live steam injectors, to replace unreliable live steam and exhaust steam injectors originally fitted to the locomotive.

Fitting of step and grab iron to front driver’s side of locomotive for easy access to smokebox.

Fitting of two UHF two-way radios (H.I. standard), powered by wet-cell battery, trickle charged from turbo-generator.

Fitting of Westinghouse air brake gauge from train.

Replacement of old asbestos and fibreglass lagging with new fibreglass insulating materials.

Reconstruction of brick arch with modern refactory blocks reinforced with stainless-steel needles.

Provision of bronze cylinder lining and piston rings to all cylinder cocks.

Rebuilding of all internal baffles and top sheets to tender’s water space.

Replacement of corroded sections of boiler cladding.

Total repaint in poly-urethane paints as per original details.

The train used a Westinghouse brake system controlled by Pendennis Castle’s vacuum brakes through a proportional valve fitted on the water gin

Hi 69843,

Yes - seen the list before and I have the privilege of knowing John Lyas who was her crew chief over in Oz and several of her drivers too. Many thanks for thinking of us though - much appreciated.

Will 4079 be keeping these, since they were shown to work better?

Hi Horse,

Nope - the reason for fitting these was to combat the desert temperatures heating the water in the tender tank to way above anything Mr Churchward or Mr Collett could have imagined! They are still in our project store however so if you need a pair of almost new G&C hot water injectors for one of your models...

The set up we are going for is the crew and (wallet!) friendly option of two GWR pattern live steam injectors, the fireman's side being replicated to a 'mirror image' of the drivers. If you want to know why no exhaust injector then they would see little use at 81E, are disliked by modern main line crews and it also means that there is just one set of spares to keep in the support coach. Nothing we can't refit later if an exhaust injector pattern and castings become available in the future. If you want to see No. 4079's exhaust injector you can wave as it goes past under Bob and Ali Meanley's feet on Edgcumbe!

I would think 4079 would be keeping at least some of the modifications - I can't see Castle and his colleagues re-lining the boiler with asbestos for a start!

Hi RJS1977,

We all like authenticity but that might be a step too far methinks!

All the best,

Castle

EDIT: The non asbestos lagging is the only modification that will be kept as so much of the list relates to modifications for Australian running. Even the cylinder drain cocks have gone as they were non - GWR steam operated versions fitted in preservation! There is a brand new set to the original design ready to go on in the next few weeks...

Edited by Castle
  • Like 3

It is nice to see so much love is extended on this old lady (or is it gentleman)......and the care the old boilers (oh yeah definitely woman) get while in the new country to ensure they don't over heat etc. Something I would never have considered until it was pointed out. But actually quite interesting.

It is nice to see so much love is extended on this old lady (or is it gentleman)......and the care the old boilers (oh yeah definitely woman) get while in the new country to ensure they don't over heat etc. Something I would never have considered until it was pointed out. But actually quite interesting.

It is very interesting.

Knowing that 3801 has visited every state in Australia, bar Tasmania, it has had to operate in conditions from freezing rain in Vic to searing heat in Perth and the NT. While it's never been in one of those places for too long, I have heard stories over the years of difficulties experienced in the conditions.

Being too young to have ever experienced 4079 in Oz (not to mention being on the wrong side of the country as well), it is fantastic to know that it has gone home to 'the right people' in Didcot, getting the care and attention she needs. It will be wonderful to see her in full flight in a couple of years, back amongst her contemporaries and at the wonderful base of the GWR that Didcot is. And one day, we may see her with 4472 again.

So Castle, are you planning any tests against Scotsman to test 4079s efficiency? (Tongue firmly in cheek!)

• Like 2