Hi 69834,

I would hope fervently that the Queen of the Great Western will meet up with the Scotsman at some point! It will be the cap on doing the restoration actually. As to contests - well, that hatchet was buried a long time ago and it will just be great to get them together buffer to buffer, as they did in 1988 and side by side as they were in 1925...

It will be a great event!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi 69834,

I would hope fervently that the Queen of the Great Western will meet up with the Scotsman at some point! It will be the cap on doing the restoration actually. As to contests - well, that hatchet was buried a long time ago and it will just be great to get them together buffer to buffer, as they did in 1988 and side by side as they were in 1925...

It will be a great event!

All the best,

Castle

May I add double heading as they also did in Perth?

7 cylinders....now that'd be a sound to hear!

• Like 1

The 4079 “Pendennis Castle” Project

Get the Latest News on the Pendennis Castle Project (Updated December 2009)

Castle,

Can you explain why this seems to be the forgotten project?  4 years + since an update on GWS website and 14 years since arriving at Didcot?

A casual observer could conclude that there is little motivation.  The other projects seem to chug if not speed towards conclusion, particularly 4709 and the County that are far more ambitious than a routine rebuild of a complete loco.

Hi La Scala,

Funny you should say that - the new update on the project has just been checked for publication on the website. We have been a bit busy rebuilding a Castle Class locomotive up to this point!

The engine may not have had a huge amount of publicity in the previous few years but there will be in the coming 6 - 12 months I can assure you. If there is a perceived lack of progress then you or anyone else on this forum or indeed, the general public at large, are more than welcome to come and see the tons of metal that have gone back on the locomotive in the form of components and systems (fully overhauled to the last detail) in the last few years and the stack of nearly 200 small boiler tubes that we moved into position ready for imminent fitting by our boiler smiths a couple of working days ago.

This hasn't been anything like a regular overhaul of a running locomotive (whatever that is!). It hadn't run in 6 years when it was delivered to Didcot and it hasn't had a major strip down and rebuild like this since the steam era. In some ways, despite having never been in a scrap yard, this is a more difficult proposition. We have to balance not only bringing her back to life but the demands of the modern main line and the curatorial obligation of dealing with an engine that has had so little of its Swindon material removed. It was mechanically shot. EVERY bearing surface, every moving part, every last thing has been stripped, repaired and replaced. The metalwork under the cab on both the locomotive and the tender was a mess and has been almost totally renewed. There were some parts lost in preservation that have needed re manufacturing. The list of jobs that have been done is endless... There is no such thing as a simple rebuild or overhaul of a locomotive - they will always find ways to confound you. One of the team said it best when he said; "It's almost like they don't want to be fixed!"

All this is done almost purely by my dedicated and very hard working band of volunteers who have strived to do the best job possible. They and I have a great deal of affection for and pride in this machine and have poured heart and soul into getting it to the stage we are at now. The team works every other Saturday and have done without a break for 14 years. I will repeat this - there has been a team there, working on this engine almost every other Saturday for 14 years. That is loyalty and determination of the outstanding variety. Some projects out there are done by commercial concerns and this is obviously the fast way of getting things like this done - but at what cost? I am not going to talk numbers here but let me assure you about the way money is spent on this locomotive - due to the generosity of time, skills and effort of my team, if you compare the quality of the job we are doing you won't find it wanting but if you compare the bills...

The other thing to consider is if you total up all the Saturdays and put the project in those terms you will find it going a a respectable pace. I do not put deadlines and the associated pressure on the team as we are of the opinion that quality comes first. The engine has a bit left to do but it's not that far off now - we are effectively rounding the corner to the home straight. If you or anyone else wants the restoration to go faster then we would be very grateful of assistance. There are two things you could do:

1) Give a donation to the project. The bigger, the better! We could always do with more cash - despite the massive generosity of our members which have kept this project going at a fair pace for many years.

2) I will see you next Saturday at Didcot with your overalls and steel toecap boots on. My team and I would always welcome a new member. I would invite you this Saturday but unfortunately we have arranged a major shunt of the loco works to move the locomotive so it is back over a pit. This is so the brand new cylinder drain cock mechanism can go back on and have the controls fitted and adjusted.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 14

Thanks for update.  I will have a job getting to Didcot this weekend given I'm in Australia however! The last thing someone actually doing the work needs is an armchair critic but that was not my purpose.

I'm not doughting there was a heap of work to do, I was simply remarking that the GWS web site has been totally silent for getting on for 5 years.  This is good reason for thinking little has happened particularly when 4709 has an excellent www presence and stellar progress has been made. Of course no rebuild is ever routine but a complete loco has to be less difficult than cutting new frames and then stitching 3 different locos (that had all been rotting away for 45 years) into one.

I also remark that the railmotor site was updated monthly providing insights into a complicated recreation.

Glad to hear there has been real progress anyway.

It's amazing to think I was only about 4 when Didcot received the locomotive back-and I had no clue about it!

If any engine has deserved Didcot, it's this one. As you state Castle, she's obviously not been in the best condition but is certainly coming back to health-all that sun seems to have had an effect on her!; but the time and hard work is clearly paying off. If I get to the UK for 2016 (sadly not next year, as I will be helping with the 160 years of NSW railways here amongst other things), I will more than happily dig deep and lend a hand in restoring the engine, or even as a member of the support crew if it's back on the mainline by that stage.

There's members of the NSWRTM that can still recall seeing Pendennis Castle over in Perth, and while the opinion was that it wasn't as nice as the indigenous NSWR stock(!), that it was a very well built machine.

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

Hi Castle,

I wonder whether you are aware of the Bluebird Project? A favourite saying of theirs happens to be: "Do you want it done now, or do you want it done right?"

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment; I would rather wait a little longer, so as to see No. 4079 in the best possible health. Which, of course, I'm sure it'll be - the standard of restorations at Didcot is exemplary, and this particular project stands out through the dedication and and perseverance which you have described.

Executing a major restoration on a steam locomotive - which is, to be honest, a huge and mechanically complex lump of handbuilt ironmongery - is never easy. A knackered old veteran with Australian sand leaking from practically every orifice? Incredibly difficult, and I admire the work you and your team have done in bringing No. 4079 back to life. I'll be looking forwards to the finished article - another shot at "Z48", perhaps? - and hopefully I'll be able to get to the Members' Tour on the 27th July and see the work for myself.

(PS: I wonder whether you and the team could be persuaded to have a go at No. 7027 sometime in the near future ...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

....No. 1363 ......

......an etched version by Peter K. These were out of production - or so I thought - until I found the Kemilway website and being a devil may care type, gave the good man a call. He told me all about the kit and it sounded great. "But", I said "what about the castings?" "Hang on - I think I may be able scrounge together enough bits to get you close to a complete kit..." Eureka - the list of bits were rattled off and it equalled a complete body! He did say that this was pretty much it for the castings so anyone following my footsteps will need to get inventive here although the etchings are still available and I dare say that it is far from impossible to do. The instructions make mention of the fact that the masters for the castings were made by none other than Guy Williams.....

Just as a sort of late update to this, although the etchings are still listed at a price of £55.50 on the website, it has been commented elsewhere that actually getting any kits out of Peter K these days is difficult or impossible because of the very long waiting times (stretching as long as a couple of years in one case) and the apparent lack of communication on the part of the man himself.

There is another possible option which might surface later this year or next, and that is CSP which took over the former Agenoria 4mm range of industrials and small tanks. Roger Slade, who runs CSP, says that he has been working on both the 1361 and the 1366 classes and, although delayed by other factors, he thinks at least one of these could be ready by the end of 2014. Website here - so, if you want one or both classes, drop Roger a line to make him aware that there is some sort of demand for them!

Useful link - thanks Horse. Slightly off-topic but still GWR - related, I see CSP have also got the Swindonised version of the Cleobury Mortimer & Ditton Priors Railway Manning Wardle engines scheduled for 2014. I've just emailed CSP to check if that's still the plan and to say I'd buy one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just as a sort of late update to this, although the etchings are still listed at a price of £55.50 on the website, it has been commented elsewhere that actually getting any kits out of Peter K these days is difficult or impossible because of the very long waiting times (stretching as long as a couple of years in one case) and the apparent lack of communication on the part of the man himself.

There is another possible option which might surface later this year or next, and that is CSP which took over the former Agenoria 4mm range of industrials and small tanks. Roger Slade, who runs CSP, says that he has been working on both the 1361 and the 1366 classes and, although delayed by other factors, he thinks at least one of these could be ready by the end of 2014. Website here - so, if you want one or both classes, drop Roger a line to make him aware that there is some sort of demand for them!

With the news released on Friday that Kernow models have commissioned the 1361 class in various guises plus Heljan's announcement of the 1366 there will at least an alternative to virtually unavailable kits.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HuBeVlIrKI

Continuing the Australian link, Canberra Rail Museum has tested BP AD60 Garratt 6029 during July.  This machine will be on tour duty soon.

•  

Well, she does have 4 cylinders!

Hi 29843,

That is a wonderful restoration - well done to all concerned!

Amongst those fantasy land drawings and suggestions of projected GWR locomotive classes there was an outlandish proposal for a Garret based on the King. 8 - yes that's right 8 cylinders of Swindon power!

You have to wonder how big the boiler would have to have been to keep up with that little lot...*

All the best,

Castle

*to which the idiot's answer is I suppose 2 x a standard 12!

Them's the beasties! One based on the 4 cylinder 4-6-0s and the other based on the 28XXs!

It's hard to see what you would do with the King one. 80,600 lbs tractive effort? It's even stronger that the LNER's U1! It would go over the any of the banks on the GWR like they weren't there I suppose but the 20+ coaches wouldn't fit in the platforms...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

I can see it now, the Garratt at the head of a long rake of new bogie coal hoppers coming back from Wales, passing one of the 2-10-2Ts with a rake of Iron Ore bound for Ebbw Vale.....

Now to try and resist building one of these beasties!

• Like 3

Or, to quote a Vogon...

"Resistance is useless"

Once I get some spare time(!) and parts, it should happen

Nice! Can we see a build thread on here please?

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Nice! Can we see a build thread on here please?

All the best,

Castle

You certainly can. Going to run through the pros and cons to decide if I'll do the 2-8-0+0-8-2 or the 4-6-0+0-6-4.

Although it won't be started until well into next year (probably in the period of March-May at a guess)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Isn't that wonderful? Thanks for posting that 6984. I love the way the person jumps back as she passes right at the end! I wouldn't want to do any real speed on that track though. The p-way looks a little bit dicey... Shannon is an absolute treasure though isn't she? For the geek fact collector she is actually the property of the NRM and is the sole surviving standard gauge George England locomotive. The others are on a certain welsh line where the tracks are a bit closer together. The announcer and music just make that clip. It sounds like it should be on the Frankland thread though!

I would love to do a model of Shannon and I am surprised that an etched kit isn't available. I THINK I heard there was one once but this is a dim and distant memory at best. She may have to be used officially as a load on a wagon as she had ceased operations and was. Display item at Wantage Road by my chosen period. That doesn't mean the model wouldn't work though.

She is a relatively simple shape thought....

Hmmmmm...

A few bits of brass sheet and a few of the right size tubes...

Hmmmmm...

Oh, look what you lot have started!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 4