• 2 weeks later...

Little Didcot Update

Hi All,

Little had happened recently but a few back burner projects were slowly nibbled away at over the last few days.

A reoccurring case of hay fever?

Firstly, the second set of POLLEN Es from Hazelwood Models was started. These are a bit different to the previous offering which depicted the two original outer wagons. These are the two converted ex inner wagons and the makers have felt with this quite neatly by simply supplying the inner wagons with added outer ends in the FUD material. They are very fine and very much look the part. They differ from each other in that they have brakes in different places on different wagons and they also have disc rather than spoked wheels. As supplied the kit looks very good with little in the way of the stepping associated with the process at times. As before I have added my own free turning 'bearing' system based upon an M2 bolt and an M4 (I think...) washer for the turntable as this will be carrying the other bridge side as per the vehicles pictured in a previous post.

post-14393-0-86581200-1401482103_thumb.jpg

Next, the ends have been added and very nice they look too! The brakes on both kits have been updated and now feature the ratchets (I added these last time using a Mainly Trains etch) and now have holes to allow the brake cross shaft to be added with brass wire.

post-14393-0-38244500-1401482236_thumb.jpg

Although perfectly acceptable D/C printed brake handles are provided, because I had used the etched MRD versions on the other ones and that they would be running in a train together, I used the same here too. Sorry about the fuzzy picture!

post-14393-0-80407600-1401482390_thumb.jpg

And here we have a handsome pair ready for the load to be constructed and fitted and then the finishing and painting to commence!

post-14393-0-89671500-1401482487_thumb.jpg

That's a near dangerous level of progress compared to the last 6 months!

But wait...

There's MORE!

Engage TOAD mode!

Having built 1940 Diagram AA.21 No. 17447 here 'live' on RMWEB and also having built 1900 Diagram AA.3 No. 56400 'off camera' from an etched kit (anyone interested in seeing it?), I figured that it was about time to knock another one of the total of 5 possible brake vans available in the Little Didcot GWR / BR cross over period. Well, little No. 4144 and the POLLEN Es will need a brake vehicle won't they?

The TOAD in question is the AA.15 vehicle of Lot 910 built in 1924 No. 68684. This diagram was built between 1918 and 127 in a series of 6 different lots under both the TOAD and TOAD A codes with 378 vehicles constructed. The AA.15 was a development of the earlier pre 1918 20 ton 24' long vehicles but had self contained buffers, metal cladding on the lower sides and verandah end and a number of other minor detail variances.

post-14393-0-75017200-1401482704_thumb.jpg

The model is based on the Bachmann offering and required a number of modifications to represent the vehicle in the collection at Didcot. These are as follows:

1 New GWR self contained buffers from LMS

2 New axle boxes and springs with 'J' type end hangers from Dart Castings

3 Due to the amount of stuff that is all moulded together in the chassis area changing the spring hangers meant that the bearing pockets and the step boards also got replace with MJT 'W' irons and Frogmore Confederacy step boards.

4 The sandboxes on the verandah end got a Frogmore Confederacy etched linkage and operating handle.

5 All moulded detail that should be "3D" is scraped off and replaced by etchings of various sources including MJT and Mainly Trains.

6 The clasp brake gear is represented using parts from a Mainly Trains etch.

7 Brass rod to represent the sand pipes.

8 Send as large a drill as possible down the chimney to thin it out and make it look a much closer to scale thickness.

9 A pair of scale instanter couplings from Slaters.

10 To finish a Dart Castings stationmaster (not Mike I hasten to add!) masquerading as a guard!

Not a lot when you say it quick then...

So if you want to do this, take your Bachmann TOAD to bits, throw away the coupling pockets and then attack everything below the sole bar with a razor saw! Then carefully throw bits back at it until it looks like a brake van again...

post-14393-0-12914700-1401482897_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-50798100-1401482987_thumb.jpg

Sorry there aren't any in progress pictures of this one but I was just enjoying doing the model and didn't stop to think about such things! But here we are with progress thus far anyway.

It was of course only after I took these pictures that I realised that the step board brackets are different on the AA.15...

Oh well, of the the box of etches to see if there are any likely looking spare bits loafing about!

Until next time...

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle, some very nice work there. The Toad must have taken some time with all those details, but it has really paid off.

Having built 1940 Diagram AA.21 No. 17447 here 'live' on RMWEB and also having built 1900 Diagram AA.3 No. 56400 'off camera' from an etched kit (anyone interested in seeing it?)

Yes please!  :good:

Hi All,

The oldest TOAD in the pond.

The earliest TOAD in the GWS collection is No. 56400. As it was built in 1900 it actually makes it a Dean era vehicle! It was built in lot No. 282 to diagram AA.3 Although it is a 16 ton van it started life as a 14 ton vehicle. The AA.3s are often regarded as the first of the 'modern' TOAD designs. The earliest members of the diagram had grease axle boxes but they quickly swapped to oil lubricated boxes. Many hundreds were built and a few survived until the end of steam in various guises and roles.

post-14393-0-09591700-1401538819_thumb.jpg

You may ask why No. 56400 isn't regularly used in freight trains being such an old and interesting vehicle but it gained a tradition on shed after preservation as being crew accommodation and as such it is kept warm dry and weatherproof. As long as heads need to rest at 81E, it will have purpose and it will be looked after! It has become sort of self preserving...

The model is an etched kit from Frogmore Confederacy. It is available in three versions - wooden verandah, road van and what I needed for little 56400 - steel verandah. Mine came from Dart Castings. The kit needs the usual wheels, paint and transfers to complete. It is a comprehensive little kit that has lots of detail and while it was a little fiddly, it was well worth the price of admission so to speak!

post-14393-0-06824300-1401538857_thumb.jpg

I did it in a very grubby full GWR livery on the basis that it was an older van and in the GWR / BR cross over period, it would have been low on the list for repainting!

post-14393-0-40745800-1401538904_thumb.jpg

Well, there we go! That's Nos. 56400 and 17447 done and No. 68684 on the way it just leaves Nos. 950592 and 56867 to do and the pond will be full!

I shall stop there before I croak...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Great model, and a nice little backstory. I didn't know there was an AA3 at Didcot - another thing I missed on my rush visit. Nice to think that it's still keeping people protected against the elements :-)

I have one of the old K's AA3s. It's not bad for its time, but doesn't stand comparison with your Frogmore build. A very useful type the AA3, and nice that Frogmore brought out a modern kit for it.

Thanks for that Mikkel!

Well, if you will have rushed visits to Didcot without the proper guidance... The next time you can make it back to the UK let me know and we will do things properly - there is so much more stuff that a patented CASTLE TOURS visit would show you!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 4

Hi All,

Broadly speaking, this is quite exciting! It will have wide appeal...

Well, there I was just meandering my way around the shed earlier in the week and what did I find but some great big thing with even greater and bigger wheels!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Iron Duke has finally landed - after what seems like an age tramping around the English countryside and then living at an ex-power station... The plan is to do the cosmetic restoration in the near future where it is in the carriage shed and then move him down to meet Firefly later next year sometime. The first time that two 7 1/4" gauge locos will have been together since the 1890s. History will be made soon! In the medium to long term, a return to steam is mooted so it will be exciting times ahead for the old school GWR fans.

Enjoy!

All the best,

Castle

Bring it on!!

It'll be such a sight to see two great loco's together again........marriage made in Swindon heaven!

• Like 1

Somebody has broken into my toilet...

You know, if anyone reading this HASN'T seen the original version of the Italian Job (I know, there are poor, Unenlightened people out there that haven't) then this this thread has just gone very weird indeed!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Somebody has broken into my toilet...

You know, if anyone reading this HASN'T seen the original version of the Italian Job (I know, there are poor, Unenlightened people out there that haven't) then this this thread has just gone very weird indeed!

All the best,

Castle

Is there any other version!!!!!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Bring it on!!

It'll be such a sight to see two great loco's together again........marriage made in Swindon heaven!

It has already happened - they are sat together in the transfer shed! It is well worth a look. Iron Duke has an imposing bulk when compare to the almost dainty looking Firefly!

Is there any other version!!!!!

No - not really!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can I just thank all concerned with the last few posts for having the extreme self-control not to mention blowing the bl**dy doors off.

And excellent modelling from Mr. Castle! As a resident of Didcot, I follow this thread with interest.

Best Regards,

ZG.