'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

Here are the photos I took on Saturday, as well as one my friend Ian took of me getting very confused very quickly regarding how to control a layout with an iPod.

I suppose it didn't help that I haven't ever used an iPod before, nevermind a fully autonomous layout. Turnout motors are some sort of alien techno-sorcery to me at this stage! :D

I thought I'd gotten more photos of Roundhouse, but apparently not. :(

20141129_173043_3_bestshot_zps5e9d048a.j

20141129_173058_2_bestshot_zpsc36a2d89.j

20141129_173117_5_bestshot_zpsde9b703a.j

20141129_173129_3_bestshot_zps6a323114.j

10252021_10152850233827243_2322475128447

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You can just see me on the sofa. I wasn't asleep but working on a loco. Or was it Jamie's huge book on UP which I have now ordered a copy.

If I was asleep I wouldn't have had my glasses on!!!

Well that's my excuse anyway.

PS - just for Ben and Mike to prove that I had the Pendolino flyers out, look at the bottom of one of the photos.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend the layout is at Rotarail.

Its only one of two shows for the layout this year and the only one in the South, so if you wish to see it in the area then this is the show to visit.

Generally the layout isnt getting as many invites these days as it has been around many places since its first show back in 2006/7 and we have plenty of other layouts to keep us busy through out the year but I cant come up with another layout plan that could replace it which is sutiable for the large UP locos unless I win the lottery to buy a large RV and buy a warehouse so I  can build and transport a huge tailchaser to run them on with a long rake of freight cars!!

PS -  Andrew C's will be bringing his excellent Rapido Canadian locos to run if any one wishes to see the level of detail Rapido do if any one has concerns over the forthcoming APT- E and Revolution's N scale Pendolino and TEA tank car.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We had a good daylast Saturday at Rotarail. Layout and operators all performed well!!

A few photos form Saturday.

Andrew C' s Rapido GMD1 lurking behind the boat - its got some cracking extra sounds  relating to Doctor Who and Star Trek on the higher functions!!

post-1557-0-49928200-1430122362_thumb.jpg

A cab forward parked outside the roundhouse

post-1557-0-38888900-1430122441_thumb.jpg

5509 eases out of the shed and onto the turntable

post-1557-0-72195000-1430122487_thumb.jpg

5509 being turned

post-1557-0-66211200-1430122512_thumb.jpg

A couple of general shots

post-1557-0-07201200-1430122524_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-67301700-1430122543_thumb.jpg

There now just one more show for this year, in November with only one more potential show for next year. Its probably been the most exhibited layout that I have built so far, so its done well since its first show back in 2006.

Not quite sure what to do with it once the shows have dried up  but I did think that it could be turned into a Czech loco depot similar to one in Prague that has two turntables albiet smaller than the current 130 ft one.

We shall see!!

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

A good time was had by all. Perhaps you could revamp the staging end of the layout by adding a module and turning the layout into a free-mo module. I'm thinking along the lines of normal module(s) at 90 or even 45 degrees to the end of the layout, so that Roundhouse formed the base of a T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A good time was had by all. Perhaps you could revamp the staging end of the layout by adding a module and turning the layout into a free-mo module. I'm thinking along the lines of normal module(s) at 90 or even 45 degrees to the end of the layout, so that Roundhouse formed the base of a T.

Andrew

I quite like that idea. Perhaps a module that links both the switching staging track and the main access to the shed area.

I wil have to give it some thought.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend the layout is at the Spalding show.

Just two shows this year and at present this is the last confirmed invite do it could be the last outing in some time although we are still happy to take it to shows, it is now 9 years old and has probably done more shows than any other layout hat I have built. It has had a spruce up with static grass last November and I do have a few more detail bits to add.

As Andrew said above, I am now considering how this layout might be altered do it can be turned into a Freemo module as per Fort Myers to prolong its life.

Anyway if you fancy seeing the layout again then pop along to the Spalding show where there are plenty more layouts to see aswell.

• RMweb Gold

Layout back from Spalding.

The layout worked well apart form the turntable  deck track pickups giving some grief so these will be stripped down and serviced in the near future.

Three possible invites for next 2016 / 2017 so looks like the layout will be seen out and about again.

A number of locos headlights have failed over the last year. One Union pacific  F3A had them replaced with new LED's today and the rest will now go through the service centre to sort them out.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wish I knew it was your layout at Spalding, I would have said hello.  I hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did.

Julian Sprott

Julian

Yes its a good show although they do make it a little cramped behind the layouts which numerous exhibitors who where or have been there that we talked to seem to agree. I had asked for 7 feet but got 6 Feet overall depth (I am pretty sure they mentioned 6 feet not long before the show and I missed that point so partially my fault) so we did tend to intrude on layouts around us, just to be able to get in and out from behind the layout and move past each other with our boards being 3 feet wide. Even at 7 feet its tight but we don't like to ask for too much space. However in future we are going to increase the amount we require to avoid being too tight as its not fair on others around us.

We have accidentally acquired a mug from a layout near us who was using on of our tables  (which we don't mind) as they did not appear to have table space so must get in touch with them.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's now not far off two years since my last post on here and the layouts last show. It's been stored since then but this weekend it will be out on the show circuit again at the Burgess Hill show.

Stock is currently being checked over and the layout dusted down prior to loading this Friday. We also have a full crew for this one day show, so looking forward to operating the layout again.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Would be good to take back up to Cumbria.

All loaded into car apart from stock and DCC equipment. Just replaced a blown bulb in one of the switchers. Ideally it needs LEDs but that's for another time.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

We had a good day at the Burgess Hill show with plenty of interest from the public. The layout generally performed well but on a few occasions the turntable contacts played up. Once the layout was back at home I took the baseplate of the turntable off and adjusted the contacts so fingers crossed for the next show in November.

A few photos taken at the weekend

post-1557-0-80638200-1504614878_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-06429000-1504614905_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-65248300-1504614916_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had a good time at the Royston show yesterday. The layout ran well most of the time apart form one turnout solenoid giving grief to the Digitrax DS64 decoders. However normal operation soon resumed and we had pleanty of visitors watchhing the layout. Even the turntable behaved itself after the tweeking of the contacts after the last show.

A few potential invites aswell which will keep the layout going for a while longer.

A few photos taken yesterday

post-1557-0-12878400-1511116191_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-59135000-1511116232_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-35639100-1511116263_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oh good see you tomorrow :)

Which layout are you with tomorrow?

Ian

That's an early (in the new season) show.

Have a good time, I wish I could make it down, not been to a show for many months now.

The layout still looks great btw.

John.

Thanks John

Ian

• Like 1