West Coast Derailment

The news article I read made it sound like Virgin is now running freight services.

I use the line to commute to work...but not today. This made me turn around & work from home.

I was told by staff at MK station that a freight train had derailed. The news said this was at 0228.

Consider that reporters are not all enthusiasts.

My guess is that because it was running on the line which is used by Virgin trains, they reported it as a Virgin frieghtliner?

I am sure that accurate reports will appear in the next editions of the railway news magazines.

• RMweb Gold

A picture of a Class 90 has been posted on twitter

My guess is that because it was running on the line which is used by Virgin trains, they reported it as a Virgin frieghtliner?

Its the Pretendolino engine

90046 is in the dirt, it was working light engine from Crewe - Wembley.

:pleasantry:

• RMweb Gold

The Freightliner engine, being operated on behalf of Virgin trains, derailed at Bletchley South junction shortly before 02:30 GMT.

The driver was the only person on board and is being treated for injuries.

The engine is upright but blocking the line and some damage has been reported.

As usual then!! Although from that linked pic above it does look like the Up Fast immediately south of Bletchley flyover - and just past some pointwork which appears to be in process of recovery, maybe? No doubt we might hear some facts eventually ... perhaps ... maybe ... :scratchhead: :O

There was a slow juntion there until 2-3 years ago with a crossover on the up line.

They have also been 'overrunning engineering works' 2 mornings this week. I think they have been doing something to the slow lines?

• RMweb Gold

Looks like the Bletchley Flyover to me. Closing WCML is never a good idea, especially in Winter when the punters stand and freeze.

They ought to be able to run some sort of shuttle to Tring for commuters, presumably, except that no doubt most stock is the wrong side of the blockage. Once the Met runs to Watford Junction, then they'd only need to shuttle Tring-Watford.

The news article I read made it sound like Virgin is now running freight services.

I use the line to commute to work...but not today. This made me turn around & work from home.

I was told by staff at MK station that a freight train had derailed. The news said this was at 0228.

Consider that reporters are not all enthusiasts.

I am sure that accurate reports will appear in the next editions of the railway news magazines.

I would assume that description is being given out so that non-enthuisats aren't panicing about a passenger train having come off the tracks, in most of the publics minds is that frieght trains are much heavier than passenger trains in the same way that a lorry is heavier than their car. This will have the public thinking ''its only a freight train off, i'm perfectly safe on the pendalino service''

My first thought when I heard that the WCML was shut completely was that it must have come off whilst crossing from the slow to the fast but that doesn't look to be the case from the twitter photograph. The slow lines *appear* to be unaffected but obviously Network Rail wouldn't want any trains passing on the off chance that it might inspire a copycat incident further down the line..

Also, a bit of a PR coup for Virgin calling it a 'freight train' when it's a loco on hire to them.

Funny old world.

• RMweb Premium

Reported on another railway forum http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=59535:

......the loco was travelling on the up fast. This is located between the down fast and the down slow. Track damage has occured to the fast lines and OHLE dropper damage has occured to the neighbouring slow line......

I wouldn't call it a coup - first thing I thought was the Pretendolino had derailed, for non enthusiast, they would hear "Virgin", "Derailed" and think Grayrigg.

Well, it was certainly inaccurate. Should we protect the nervous public by telling them untruths?

Incidentally, I note that the National Rail website is now describing it as a 'locomotive' rather than a 'freight train'.

Well, it was certainly inaccurate. Should we protect the nervous public by telling them untruths?

Incidentally, I note that the National Rail website is now describing it as a 'locomotive' rather than a 'freight train'.

A PR Coup - is a piece of positive news about someone/thing that comes as a by-product of some other event. Having Virgin's name attached to a derailment is hardly positive.

Maybe I misinterpreted your meaning in your statement: 'Also, a bit of a PR coup for Virgin calling it a 'freight train' when it's a loco on hire to them.'

A PR Coup - is a piece of positive news about someone/thing that comes as a by-product of some other event. Having Virgin's name attached to a derailment is hardly positive.

Maybe I misinterpreted your meaning in your statement: 'Also, a bit of a PR coup for Virgin calling it a 'freight train' when it's a loco on hire to them.'

Fair enough, I'll put my hands up, I can see how that could be misinterpreted and I'll admit that I probably used the wrong phrase. However, it was a light locomotive being operated by Virgin, not by any freight operating company, and it was initially described as a freight train derailment. I suspect some at Freightliner might have been rather uncomfortable with this (especially as there is some speculation in the media already as to the possible cause) and perhaps this is why the National Rail and Virgin websites are describing it differently now.

Archived