West Coast Derailment

Latest news from the BBC!!!!! a firstbus stobart car has just left the road onto the grass and stayed upright. The entire motorway network will remain closed for this year and 74 people clad in high viz will stand around for the forseable future.

Sometimes I despair at the media and the way our railways are run.........

• RMweb Gold

Come on chaps, I posted the correct information ages ago, it matters not what other people call it, I'm guessing most public won't care, they will simply see it as "another delay"

Time for a big "hand of God" methinks

So, loco in the 6 foot and some damaged trackwork. Call the local breakdown cranes and crews, get them to the incident site, loco back on the rails and dragged off into a siding for further inspection, thence one 'road' re-opened at reduced speed to at least allow some traffic to pass and all this achieved in about 4-6 hours.

Call in extra help in the shape of additional local track gangs and thence the PW boys can crack on mob handed with repairing the rest of the trackwork with a view to reopening later this afternoon/evening.

Ah, b****er - this is the brave new world of the 21st century isn't it?

Ah well, maybe things will be running again tomorrow, or the day after, or at least some time next week once they've got the paperwork sorted out........

OHLE damage to the down slow, both fast lines blocked and one photo shows a mysterious kink in the down fast..... The disruption caused just goes to show why diversion routes are important, something the anti-HS2 brigade ought to acknowledge now instead of harping on about upgrading the WCML....

Edited for wayward predictive text on my HTC...

• RMweb Gold

a few pics on this guys piccie site

i feel like the pied piper today, on my way in from crewe to birmingham on a LM service, passengers have been advised to go via banbury into london, so far got about 10 people going to follow me from new st to moor st as they don't know where it is (thanks for that missus guard!)

• RMweb Gold

Mmm - looks like it took a tumble on those trailers, knocked the down fast out of alignment and finally came to rest in the 4 / 6 foot.

The rail leading into the point crossing looks dodgy, cracked or ...

• RMweb Premium

OHLE damage to the down slow, both fast lines blocked and one photo shows a mysterious kink in the down fast.....

The disruption caused just goes to show why diversion routes are important, something the anti-HS2 brigade will acknowledge that....

That kink on the down fast looks to be opposite the point on the up fast, which suggests very strong lateral forces caused by the loco crossing the points from the down slow to up fast... too fast?

It seems that the sleepers have been cancelled tonight, at least in part because the crew didn't get to London until lunchtime. Fair enough, but this shows exactly what is wrong the railways these days. Passengers turfed out of the up sleepers in the middle of the night rather than being diverted over an alternative route, seemingly no interest from TOCs in arranging diversions during the continuing disruption... Providing a limited service to/from Paddington and St Pancras (depending on origin) should not not be rocket science, especially if detailed in a proper contingency plan.

• RMweb Gold

i feel like the pied piper today, on my way in from crewe to birmingham on a LM service, passengers have been advised to go via banbury into london, so far got about 10 people going to follow me from new st to moor st as they don't know where it is (thanks for that missus guard!)

Good to know there are still some real railwaymen. All too easy to walk on by in those circs - well done, mate!

The rail leading into the point crossing looks dodgy, cracked or ...

....or maybe was just ripped away from it's mountings when the loco went from slow to fast through that crossover in a derailed state....?

Interesting it's the slow line diamond where the OLE damage is, and not on the fast for instance - the slow line point is also set to diverge on those latest pics.

It has been reported elsewhere that the loco was crossing from the up slow to the up fast and this would seem to be confrimed by the photographs showing the OHLE being repaired on the down slow in the vicinity of the crossing. It note also that the trailing points on the up fast appear to be normal whilst the facing points on the up slow are reversed - I'm guessing they've been cranked since the incident. BTW I seem to recall it always was rough on the slow lines going throughthe junction at Bletchley - you really wouldn't want to be drinking a cup of tea sitting on a class 56 at 60mph.

• RMweb Gold

....or maybe was just ripped away from it's mountings when the loco went from slow to fast through that crossover in a derailed state....?

Interesting it's the slow line diamond where the OLE damage is, and not on the fast for instance - the slow line point is also set to diverge on those latest pics.

Not sure why the point would be normalised then, it's lying normal in the photos. Not sure what the speed through the crossover would be but it's travelled a fair way if it was in the dirt before it got to those points.

Providing a limited service to/from Paddington and St Pancras (depending on origin) should not not be rocket science, especially if detailed in a proper contingency plan.

FWIW I do agree - especially with stuff like the sleeper which ought to be fairly easy to put an alternative loco on.

Lots harder for Virgin and London Midland though as their trains are mostly incompatible with any of the potential other routes to London. I think the only one possible would be using Virgin's voyagers into Marylebone?

With what rolling stock?

a few pics on this guys piccie site

http://chriswarman.s...15664&k=jKWmzr8

having looked at the photos that Big Jim has put a link to, in photos 22-26 you can see the point for the crossover from the up slow to the up fast. This point is set for the crossover. So IF (thats a big if) the driver had missed the feathers for the crossover and taken the crossover at line speed (I think it was beast66606 who said it was 15MPH) it would explain the derailment .

The deformation of the down line, would be caused by the force of the loco moving the track and ballast on the fast line point.

All of the above are just my ideas and may be wrong.

OzzyO.

PS. I have just seen the posts that have been added since I started my reply, and I think that we're all saying the same thing. To fast over the crossover.

That kink on the down fast looks to be opposite the point on the up fast, which suggests very strong lateral forces caused by the loco crossing the points from the down slow to up fast... too fast? It seems that the sleepers have been cancelled tonight, at least in part because the crew didn't get to London until lunchtime. Fair enough, but this shows exactly what is wrong the railways these days. Passengers turfed out of the up sleepers in the middle of the night rather than being diverted over an alternative route, seemingly no interest from TOCs in arranging diversions during the continuing disruption... Providing a limited service to/from Paddington and St Pancras (depending on origin) should not not be rocket science, especially if detailed in a proper contingency plan.
The sleepers are 16 coaches long and I doubt there are many Terminii that could be used in the event of a contingency, as they still start from Euston when diverted up the ECML for engineering works. Then there are the staff hours and stock being out of place, as both of tonights sets are north of the blockade. So it's probably easier to declare "game over" and wait for the line to reopen. Don't forget it's 2012 and the railway doesn't do the kind of contingencies they used to, there aren't freight locos sat around during the day that could be used to drag trains on non-electrified routes (never mind the lack of heat and different couplings), and who'se to say there's still the capacity to do so at short notice anyway...?

EDIT, 67017 and one of the rakes has gone ECS to Wembley via the Chiltern.

so far got about 10 people going to follow me from new st to moor st as they don't know where it is (thanks for that missus guard!)

I do like that. "Big Jim will be conducting today's pedestrian replacement service; a short rest period is planned whilst he goes into Modelzone/Ian Allan."

Generally: how much catenary do they have to remove for cranes to work when re-railing under OLE?

You can generally release the tension and swing the hangars to one side for regular masts, but junctions and 4-track spans are a bit more complicated. They might not need a crane, the loco is stable and could just be jacked up and slewed back onto the track, bogie and wheelset damage permitting.

Not sure why the point would be normalised then, it's lying normal in the photos. Not sure what the speed through the crossover would be but it's travelled a fair way if it was in the dirt before it got to those points.

I've just had another look at the photos in Big Jim's link in photos No.18-21, and it looks like the up fast point is set for the crossover.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

If he'd taken what appears to be a 25mph connection at sufficient speed to continue as far as he has there would be some damage to the facing points, there isn't, and the 90 would most likely be on it's side, it isn't. I suspect the facers have been hand cranked to allow the RoRo to wander around, and the 90 was probably doing a steady 60-70 along the up fast, found what appears to be a broken rail or broken cast crossing, and then hit the dirt.

(for clarity - @ Ozzyo)

That would be pretty much my take on how it *looks* - for whatever reason (not neccesarily driver error) the loco has taken the crossover at a higher speed than it's rated for, the loco has heeled over to the left, it's pantograph has come off the wire crossing the down slow knitting, the right hand wheelsets have unloaded and allowed the right hand wheels on at least the front bogie to cross their rail landing beyond the diamond, those right hand wheels have then turned over both rails on the up fast line and finally been stopped after putting a big ol' kink in the down fast...

If it is anything like that the driver *is* very lucky he didn't end up bouncing off the flyover...

I'm guessing that crossover doesn't have approach control, if so, why not...? Would it be because most services would have stopped at Bletchley anyway...?

(I'm getting dangerously close to using the words "Network Rail" and "Risk Assessment")...

Archived