Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Even in this day and age, with all the electronic magic that we have, all you need is the wrong press date and all the will in the world could mean that your public announcement could take well over a month to hit the streets.

That's one of the benefits of places like RMweb, it is almost instant.

Had RMweb and similar institutions not been available for people to post their experiences, the problem may well have been solved before the matter was raised in print.

I think that we (collectively) need to recognise that Forums probably heighten our expectations. One or two dodgy items doesn't immediately sound alarm bells, a dozen may do so. Then you have to decide whether picking a new item off the supply line is the best way to examine the problem or getting hold of one of the reported items. You then have to nail the problem, decide and implement a fix, test the results and only then can you start to go beyond the basic "Hello World, we've uncovered a problem". It will be a while later before the earlier "Hello World" text can be supplemented by further information.

I shall probably be buying a Class 40 myself in a few months time. I don't think Bachmann have anything to be ashamed with regard to the way that they have handled the matter. Would a response a few hours or days earlier have really changed things that much?

Although some may wince at the democratisation of communications I think it's fair to say Bachmann have been on the ball with this one (and several previous minor issues) by picking up on the comments posted here and investigating promptly, often ahead of when I've had time to catch up with comments. Although it's been a point of frustration for Bachmann, without the issue being flagged up it on the 'net it would have been potentially far more difficult to resolve as it would have meant waiting upon collating retailers returns and outbound communication via print, trying to then recall and resolve items would have been far more difficult. At least it was identified quickly enough that a plan could be put in place to remedy the issue and give advice for anyone who wanted to resolve it locally. They were also able to provide a point of communication for buyers who read the site. I'm popping down to Barwell tomorrow to see the work in action so hopefully readers will get to see the work that's being done, the scope of the task in hand and when they can expect to see distribution rolling once again. From my perspective it's very apparent care about their products, their customers and their reputation.

• Like 7

I feel the response from Dennis yesterday was refreshingly honest and I think Bachmann should be applauded for their acknowledgement of the problem and prompt action. I have always been taught in business that you're judged on how you respond to problems (which are inevitable from time to time)

My only query would be why there seems to be no comment on Bachmanns own website?

As I'd indicated before Bachmann have been very open about this issue and before we took a look at the rectification work we looked at the timeline of the issue; the first posting noting an issue was on the 16th Jan and a couple more on Friday 17th Jan. Within 3 working days Bachmann had acknowledged the issue and issued instructions on the fault, how it may be remedied and how customers could contact them if they wished to do so. All stock was frozen pending rectification and a plan put in place. Five weeks later we're getting toward the end of the problem so I think it's a commendable turnaround.

There are two issue, one being the over-tightness of bogies on some models and the use of a non-conductive lubricant interfering with current collection. An affected model is shown in the clip below and the problem is most pronounced when there's a change in angle or attitude of the bogies hence the breaks in sound in the clip as the loco traverses the inclines on the test-track in Bachmann's Service Department.

Here's a few snaps which cover the stages of the remedial work being undertaken.

Each and every loco is unpacked.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The bogies are checked for possible tightness, this does not affect all locos or all bogies and those requiring attention are addressed as follows.

The retaining screws into the body from the four outer corners of each bogie are removed.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The body is removed from the chassis.

5.jpg

The mounting screw at the top of each bogie tower is adjusted; it is only a quarter of a turn at maximum to ease off the tightness.

6.jpg

7.jpg

The body is now re-attached to the chassis.

8.jpg

Moving onto the lubricant issue each bogie frame is unclipped at the inner end of the bogie.

9.jpg

The non-conductive pinky-peachy lubricant can be seen in these images and how it has seeped around the collar of each axle affecting the current collection. It's not a design issue with the axle and pickup design as the same arrangement has been in use for some time on the Class 85, DMU and EMUs and the LMS twins without any similar problems, it's solely down to the lubricant used on the occasion.

10.jpg

11.jpg

A small piece of polystyrene foam is used with tweezers to remove the excess the lubricant.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Isopropyl Alcohol is then used with clean foam and tweezers to clean the remaining residue.

14.jpg

15.jpg

The inside of the base of the bogie frame can also see a deposit of the non-conductive lubricant so this is similarly cleaned.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Once it's all cleaned out a conductive lubricant is applied (in this case via a syringe applicator) to the axle collars.

18.jpg

19.jpg

The bogie frame is then clipped back into place.

20.jpg

It's been a substantial task but the sound-fitted 'Mauritania' is approaching completion within a few days and within a fortnight the stock should be reaching retailers.

21.jpg

After the remedial work is carried out 25% of the locos are then selected for testing on the Service Department's test track; the guys doing the work have done a great job as there have been none that have exhibited any faults when tested. I picked a box at random and we ran a loco as below, I gave it a good test down to slow speed on the gradient and over the points.

Thanks to Bachmann for taking the time to show the progress for this post.

• Like 1

I held off buying one for a bit but the attitude of Bach staff at the Glasgow show prompted me to buy one there and then. Top marks for admitting a problem and offering advice for an immediate solution or option to return for them to do.

M

Dennis told me of the problem and the action they were taking, at Glasgow show last Sunday. He also said that none of the early samples supplied to the magazines had this problem. By the time the magazines reach the shops, the problem will be over, so there is little point in saying much about it. One instance where the immediacy of new media is both bad and good - initially it enables people to jump to wrong conclusions and disseminate a lot of incorrect information but equally speedily, to put it right.

CHRIS LEIGH

I held off buying one for a bit but the attitude of Bach staff at the Glasgow show prompted me to buy one there and then.

i think many others will have been thinking the same.  This whole episode should now be quickly forgotten hopefully.........good of Bachmann to allow Andy in to see what the remedial work involved and testing.  Thats what I call an open door policy!

I cleaned my 40 141 last week in a similar way to the pics above.

It runs perfectly now, very nice but........I didn't clear the grease from the centre pinions of the gear train on each bogie.

Me thinks that the remaining grease will migrate back to the front and rear axles and pickups of each bogie...I'll have to wait and see.

I bought mine from Hattons..does anyone know if their remaining 40 141 stock has been cleaned?

I would like another one but object a little to dismantling another £88 loco...

Jim

Hmmmmm,

I've just emailed Hattons asking the question.

Should've done that first!

Jim

I bought a blue split box from Hattons a week or so ago and it clearly hadn't been cleaned as it wouldn't run!

Having since cleaned it myself it now runs perfectly...I did consider fitting wiper pickups but it looks as though this is unnecessary after all.

No complaints about Hattons btw...the loco arrived less than 24 hours after ordering.

:sungum:  Love the Jinsy avatar too....The Great He would surely approve.

Edited by Bert Cheese

I did consider fitting wiper pickups but it looks as though this is unnecessary after all

It does seem to look like thats the case particularly if it is fine over pointwork at slow speed.

Its pays not to rush in.....i never did fathom why buyers had to fit extra pick ups to get their locos to run.

Jinsy praise him!

I received an email from Hattons stating that they were aware of the issues and would test a model if I wished.

Can I ask a quick question concerning the real 40 141? In its rail blue guise, was this loco fitted with dual brakes?

Many thanks,

Jim

It does seem to look like thats the case particularly if it is fine over pointwork at slow speed.

Its pays not to rush in.....i never did fathom why buyers had to fit extra pick ups to get their locos to run.

My reason was out of shear frustration as it had already been cleaned by myself then sent to Bachmann & it still stalled over points and stopped at random.

Then after receiving a replacement from Hattons with the same problems I sent it to get pick ups added as I had already spent best part of £30 in postage (refunded) up to that point & did not want to keep on sending off to Bachmann or Hattons.

I really do hope the sound one does not have the same problems.

I wish Bachmann would have made this a 12 pick up arrangement not a 8 wheel one as I think the length of a class 40 might lift the wheels off the track if track is not perfectly laid.

Jinsy praise him!

I received an email from Hattons stating that they were aware of the issues and would test a model if I wished.

Can I ask a quick question concerning the real 40 141? In its rail blue guise, was this loco fitted with dual brakes?

Many thanks,

Jim

Listed in Platform 5 Loco Register as xi - dual braked boiler isolated (Cut Doncaster Works 08/84)

Hi ,

Will this model run ok on 2nd radius curves ?, my layout has only 2nd & 3rd rad curves.

I have the green sound version (32-480DS Class 40 diesel D211 'Mauretania') on pre order since Dec 2010 and it would be a pity after waiting all this time !!!!!!!

Can anyone try it on a 2rd rad curve and let me know ?? - as presumably I can still cancel my order...

Many thanks,

P.

Hi ,

Will this model run ok on 2nd radius curves ?, my layout has only 2nd & 3rd rad curves.

I have the green sound version (32-480DS Class 40 diesel D211 'Mauretania') on pre order since Dec 2010 and it would be a pity after waiting all this time !!!!!!!

Can anyone try it on a 2rd rad curve and let me know ?? - as presumably I can still cancel my order...

Many thanks,

P.

2nd radius is fine, nothing sharper though!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks,

Jim

Yes it was, sometime before Sept 1977. It would have done a few years as vac only, with TOPS number beforehand.

I pre ordered this model Class 40  32-480DS back in sept 2010 when it was first annouced from a major retailer , its price was around 125 pounds,wondering if they will honour the pre order price?

Yes it was, sometime before Sept 1977. It would have done a few years as vac only, with TOPS number beforehand.

Although it would only have received domino headcodes sometime post-'76.

I pre ordered this model Class 40  32-480DS back in sept 2010 when it was first annouced from a major retailer , its price was around 125 pounds,wondering if they will honour the pre order price?

If you have a confirmatory reply to your pre-order I think you have a contracted price.

If you have a confirmatory reply to your pre-order I think you have a contracted price.

Depends on your supplier some include a clause in their price promise of "for a maximum of 12 months"  in other words what ever the price was 12 months prior to release date.