Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

surely at tick over the track voltage on dc is nil so I don't understand how that works? I can see basic functions working as you drive the loco but not at tick over?

You get sound whenever current is applied you have to learn the min setting at which it works. If you park on an isolated piece of track ( siding ) with no power of course no sound.

You can have sound but it is restrictive and when you increase power then it increases. DCC is really best with it but yes with DC you can have basis sound

Suppose the trouble is you can't sound horns etc.with DC?  Not so bothered about buffer clank, guard's whistles  and coupling up noises that the sound chips I've got come with, but being able to make the loco go "dee daa" at the appropriate moment is the icing on the cake.

Nothing. If you've bought a DCC sound-fitted loco to run on DC, you've just chucked £100+ in the bin. It won't run on DC. Nada. Nothing. I had to remove the DCC chip from mine to ge it to run on DC on my rolling road. Sound? You'll get motor and gear whine, but that's it.

That was my experience too, of trying to run a DCC sound-fitted Bachmann Deltic 'St Paddy' on a rolling road with DC control.

Thanks, then I will. I will also say that I think Bachmann have been very fair since they were asked to deal with the Class 40 problem. I've got 211 on order and have no worries.

D211 has arrived. Out of the box and away on the button. No problems. Great sound. Set it to move and it winds up the revs and pulls away about 3 seconds later. Good fun doing a cold start/fail/restart.

I'll also pay due thanks to Hattons. I had an email from them last night at 1728 saying it had been sent out at 1726. It was on a 48 hour delivery order and it actually arrived by courier at 1250 today. Better go - a perfect 211 awaits another drive.

• Like 1

Well yes, hats off to Hattons - received mine this morning after yesterday's e-mail confirming despatch, and all at the pre-order price of £128...!

But, unboxed and onto the track and the noise started straight away... but a loud screeching, nothing a class 40 ever made....

A quick re-address of the chip, all quiet then the same screeching again...

Not wanting to risk serious damage, removed from the track...did I perhaps note a slight burning electrical smell as well ?

Anyway, will be sending it back - Before reboxing, I did take a look around the wheels, etc, no sign of white grease, but possibly light oiling - Has this already been 'remedied' yet it's still faulty...?

I received my 40 141 from Hattons yesterday.

I asked them to give it a quick check before dispatch.

All seems fine at the moment!

Jim

How is it behaving over pointwork? I can't test my 40 141 on anything other than a rolling road at present...so any problems like others have had probably won't show up...

This is going to cause a sharp intake of breath and therolling of many pairs of eyes skywards......but can this be operated on DC and if it can what range of sound,if any,could be achieved ?Apologies for my heresy...but I only asked.The sound of a 40 remains in my ears from way back....1959.

Hi Ian

Dcc sound locos can definitely be run on dc powered track. As has already has been stated, you will only get the start up and running sounds, no horns etc. You may need to change some cv's though. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered on the Dcc sound topic of the forum. We as a club (Ayr mrg) tried it on our oo layout "Swinlees" about four years ago and posted the results on you-tube. It was limited, but enjoyable, it did show the potential. So much so most of the members have now gone over to full Dcc.

Hope that helps

Stephen

How is it behaving over pointwork? I can't test my 40 141 on anything other than a rolling road at present...so any problems like others have had probably won't show up...

Yeh, it's ok with slow movements over complicated point work, however there does seem to be a difference in speed between forward and reverse. Forward running, cooling fan, A end leading, runs noticeably slower. I've run it continuously for about half an hour but it didn't seem to "free up"

I know most model locos have a "tight" direction but this one is more noticeable.

Anyway, as soon as I think it's settled down, I'll be adding Howes sound to it.

That reminds me, on the model, under the cooling fan, there seems to be a ready made speaker "holder". It looks like its for a bespoke speaker who's contacts are provided by the "holder" to the pcb.

The first 40 141 I've had, I soldered a speaker with wires directly onto the speaker terminals on the pcb.

I was wondering where you can get speakers that utilise the "holder"?

Mind you, I need 100 ohm speakers as I'm still using Loksound v3.5s

Jim

Yeh, it's ok with slow movements over complicated point work, however there does seem to be a difference in speed between forward and reverse. Forward running, cooling fan, A end leading, runs noticeably slower. I've run it continuously for about half an hour but it didn't seem to "free up"

I know most model locos have a "tight" direction but this one is more noticeable.

Anyway, as soon as I think it's settled down, I'll be adding Howes sound to it.

That reminds me, on the model, under the cooling fan, there seems to be a ready made speaker "holder". It looks like its for a bespoke speaker who's contacts are provided by the "holder" to the pcb.

The first 40 141 I've had, I soldered a speaker with wires directly onto the speaker terminals on the pcb.

I was wondering where you can get speakers that utilise the "holder"?

Mind you, I need 100 ohm speakers as I'm still using Loksound v3.5s

Jim

For a V3.5  - 28mm round Loksound 100 ohm speaker (fits the holder)   - from SWD / Digitrains / DCC Supplies etc etc 

So what's happening with the non-DCC green model 32-481 (D369)? Are Bachmann testing those at Barwell or they not even in the country yet, anyone know?

This model is here at Bachmann and is going through the same process as D211 so I wouldn't expect in the the shops for a few weeks, maybe about 4.

Well yes, hats off to Hattons - received mine this morning after yesterday's e-mail confirming despatch, and all at the pre-order price of £128...!

But, unboxed and onto the track and the noise started straight away... but a loud screeching, nothing a class 40 ever made....

A quick re-address of the chip, all quiet then the same screeching again...

Not wanting to risk serious damage, removed from the track...did I perhaps note a slight burning electrical smell as well ?

Anyway, will be sending it back - Before reboxing, I did take a look around the wheels, etc, no sign of white grease, but possibly light oiling - Has this already been 'remedied' yet it's still faulty...?

While trying out things I notched up by mistake at very slow speed and wondered what had happened. Have you tried notch down F12 just to see if that drops out the screech (making sure F11 is off)? I still put myself in the learning bracket with DCC, but try combinations of F11 and F12 to see if it cures it.

Will anybody be doing this to their sound 40  http://www.flickr.com/photos/77243361@N07/8016406652/in/photolist-ddobpN-dfsuAL-9V7jKB-9LiNba-br5mrH-br5n5v-6158vU-92LsYW-5XCfCP-6157Wf-92CnUQ-d4kQ6s-9hQuuF-arGTzu-3N2h8b-dxzsiU-4w1Jb5    -  it looks like one of those pro weathered locos that are sold on ebay  :laugh:  .

Stewart .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nope - but will be doing this - picked mine up from CMC at Leamington & Warwick show today

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d200+heaton+Mersey

Work required:

1. Out with the model strip - off with the numbers, names and OHLE flashes

2. Remove small hand rails on top of nose and moulded lamp irons on outer nose ends - D200 has neither of these

3. Mask off and spray on small yellow panel

4. Fit new lamp irons in unique D200 position either side of nose doors - have some correct ones removed from recent WR Class 37 projects

5. Fit new handrails on outer nose ends and blank off coupling pockets

6. Renumber and reapply OHLE flashes and D200 numbers (Fox transfers) and TOPs data panels and blue star coupling codes (Traintech)

7. Touch up green around handrails and new lamp irons

8. Add buffer beam super detailing and frost grilles

9.Weather

D1067, 6601/786/885/992, 1662/9 5901 all in final stages of reassembly following similar treatment - better finish them first!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

That's how 40 106 looked in 1978....Not dirty you'll notice, just worn and patched paintwork. It would have been a celebrity a couple of years later when jobs were haemorrhaging like no tomorrow and lots of folk were taking up railway photography. But in 1978 folk were still on picket lines during the week!  :biggrin_mini2:  There was also a green 47 knocking about.

Mine arrived from Hattons on Saturday (ordered in December and I paid the pre-order price).  So far I am impressed and can find no major faults.  It does occasionally stutter at slow speed and not only on points but I think this is down to my track needing a really good clean . It certainly doesn't bother me and I shall not be taking it apart to modify the pickups.   I also own a Bachmann Class 85, which I gather has a similar pickup arrangement, and have never had any problems with it- indeed it is one of the smoothest running locos in my fleet.

That's how 40 106 looked in 1978....Not dirty you'll notice, just worn and patched paintwork. It would have been a celebrity a couple of years later when jobs were haemorrhaging like no tomorrow and lots of folk were taking up railway photography. But in 1978 folk were still on picket lines during the week!  :biggrin_mini2:  There was also a green 47 knocking about.

I remember most class 40s in the mid to late 70s being very clean. Some I saw were actually ex works and gleaming! I think that 40 106 was repainted in about 78 so became  shiny, too.

The shed that had a reputation for not bothering to clean locos was Bristol Bath Road. Their locos were filthy!

• RMweb Gold

Nope - but will be doing this - picked mine up from CMC at Leamington & Warwick show today

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d200+heaton+Mersey

Work required:

1. Out with the model strip - off with the numbers, names and OHLE flashes

2. Remove small hand rails on top of nose and moulded lamp irons on outer nose ends - D200 has neither of these

3. Mask off and spray on small yellow panel

4. Fit new lamp irons in unique D200 position either side of nose doors - have some correct ones removed from recent WR Class 37 projects

5. Fit new handrails on outer nose ends and blank off coupling pockets

6. Renumber and reapply OHLE flashes and D200 numbers (Fox transfers) and TOPs data panels and blue star coupling codes (Traintech)

7. Touch up green around handrails and new lamp irons

8. Add buffer beam super detailing and frost grilles

9.Weather

D1067, 6601/786/885/992, 1662/9 5901 all in final stages of reassembly following similar treatment - better finish them first!

Phil

Keep us posted Phil - I'm tempted to try to get the ladder off myself..

Chris

Mauretania arrived today - stutters and judders at slow speed and sound cuts out over track that other locos manage fine - think this one is going back *sad face*

Tim

Have you tried adjusting CVs using the comprehensive advice in the Loksound V4 site referred to in the documents that came with the loco? Just read the CVs on the Read programme and record them before adjustment, and you can always reset them later if you do need to return it.  Maybe we and others can exchange thoughts on optimum settings. I think the sound is great for the low speed work around shunting, coupling up and pulling away, etc. I also enjoy selecting speed 1, waiting for the sound to start revving and then reselect zero speed. Sounds like the driver is bored and itching to get started! Also, there might still be a bit of residual grease coming out after some running. I don't have any of the Isopropyl Alcohol they use in the #730 photos, but a touch of malt vinegar on a fine paint brush seems to work if I need to degrease things sometimes.

Good luck.

aac  

• RMweb Gold

A nice clear picture of a body/colour combination not yet done on a 40 by Bachmann - D387 at Carlisle with carflats 16th June 1972   -   http://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9648182736/in/photostream/

Stewart .

That's no excuse!!! D373 at 9 mins 30 secs....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

Mauritania  docked this  morning........ courtesy of  Tim  at  Arcadia  Models  ( superb service  as  always)

Some  observations:

I placed the  loco on the  already powered up track,  It  blew  its  horn  and  gently accelerated to around 40mph the  Fan  working  but no  engine  sounds,  I then  switched on the  DCC handheld ( Gaugemaster Prodigy)  selected '3'   ran the speed setting up to max  then back to zero, loco continued  on its merry  way.  So placed the loco on programming track set  address to  2  and  tried  it  again,  following  the  suggestions in the  Bachmann instructions,  the  sound  powered  up from  cold  start, then settled  down  to idle  rythm, I moved the  speed control to around 50% max,  nothing! Sound  continued  but  no movement,  tried  this  a couple of  times, during  which  all sound  functions were tested  as  working, but  still no movement.

Next  stage  use ones own digital experience to sort  it  out,  turned off sound  completely, selected  50% speed on the  throttle  loco moved  of  and  ran  no problem,  then  switched on  sound (f1)  loco continued OK,  stopped  loco,  switched  everything  off,  then  tried  again  and  the   sound but no movement prob. happened  again.

So  next action  was to  reset the  decoder  Value  8  in  CV 8.,  tried the  loco again  everything  worked correctly.

A couple of  other  observations,  Maximum speed  is  very  fast  guess around  200 scaleMPH,  I like  locos  to  have a much lower  max  speed,  Bachmann state  the  MAX setting  for  CVs 5 & 6  ( Top  & Medium speed)  is  64.  I think this  is  incorrect,  because setting the  value for  these 2 CVs to a value of 40, resulted in a  maximum speed of  around 30 scale MPH,  I eventually  used  a setting  of 120  for  CV5  and  100 for  CV 6,  which  results in  a top  speed of  estimated 75 Scale MPH  which  suits  me. 

As  far  as  actual running  is  concerned  the loco  seems to be   nearly OK!

I am running it on my 0n30 layout at the moment!!  there  is  one  curve  quite  gentle about 30" radius  where  the  sound on the loco stutters, indicating perhaps a short  break in power collection,   but on  another  part of the  layout with a 15" (possibly a bit less) radius  it  goues  around perfectly, demonstrating  rather  a lot  of  overhang!!

Hope  this  is  infomative  whilst  writing  all this  the loco has  been  goin' round in circles on the 0n30 line!