4mm Loco Lining

mikemeg

I wonder if I might ask a question about 4 mm scale loco lining. In days of yore I used a draughtsmans bow pen with slightly diluted oil based paints for this job. I have to confess that I never really achieved a really satisfactory result with this, largely through my own lack of skill.

As I have to line out a model of an LNER A6 in British Railways early lined black livery with the red, cream and grey lining, I was wondering what the readerships view is of the transfers available to do this and what recommendations you might offer?

Thanks

Mike

I think you'll find that all you'll get is red and grey, Mike; I stand to be corrected but I don't think any of the available transfers include the cream line.

I haven't done one for a while but I recall having to use Modelmaster, HMRS and Fox to try to get the shapes I needed (B12 and N7, IIRC) and still had to resort to hand lining in places.

Hi you need to use thicker paint for using the bow pen.Thick enough not to drip from a cocktail stick. It is not to hard to do just work slowly and steadily. For boiler bands I use Scotch magic tape. Stuck to a piece of glass, slightly sanded and painted, for what you are doing black would be the one to use, then draw pairs of paralel lines in red pick the best ones cut down the outsides to leave you red,black,red and then fix to the boiler.

I have found with transfers it is a devils own job to get the joins right. Seems to take forever.

• RMweb Premium

new tin of well mixed paint and a clean bow pen or lining pen - practice makes perfect (just look at coachman's lining)

I have used transfers but either you get the hang of them or - like me - you don't - and some of the latest coach lining I have used seems to have wandered off down the coach side(!). In addition the colours aren't always correct (where did the cream go(?) in BR mixed traffic lining) and/or too large for 4mm

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello,

I used fox tranfers to line out 1470 in N gauge and they worked reasonably well. See below.

DSCF4164.jpg

Thats some fantastic lining, I had to look closely to confirm that it was N Gauge!

Brilliant,

Dave.

Archived