RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Neither does metal.....

I suppose it's pedantic to point out that the coach is neither LMS nor a composite*.

Grafar coaches are (approximately) Maunsell low window thirds. Yet another example that indifferent models remain indifferent, even when passed off as withdrawn.

*Down to its manufacturer, of course - such things were rife back then.

The real things had steel sides over a wooden frame, so can rust if left abandoned for years. But obviously not in the way depicted here, which appears to depict a coach that got too close to a nuclear explosion. 

The seller has many such abominations, including some massively OTT 'fire damage' weathering. 

• RMweb Gold

Fictitious, unintentionally I reckon, and not only that - isn't it a different number on the smokebox door?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-575k-Ivatt-4MT-Weathered-Changed-to-LMS-and-re-numbered-/190838188250?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c6ed7a8da

So I wrote and asked him why, and he replied

because it has and any one buying the thing can see what they are getting

So there you go.

""Reason for sale is I need the funds for my university degree and no refunds offered due to the nature of the hobby""

:scratchhead:

That's an interesting 'reason' - but at least he's up front about it...

Will still pass on it though :sungum:

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Private listing say no more.

I've read this a couple of times, but I'm not sure why it could be a problem. Can someone explain the issue around private listings?

Edited pirate to private - blimmin autocorrect

Edited by JCL

• RMweb Gold

Now here is a special treat for followers of this thread.  The next Special Auction Services 'Toys for The Collector' auction takes place on 29/30 may (link below to the listing of lots) and many of the model railway lots this time round are eminently identifiable for future reference.  So here is where the fun lies -

1. Download and keep a copy of the lot listing (probably sensible to print it as the old lists don't always last online after the auction) from here

http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/ty300513/index.html

2. Either watch the auction live online OR,

3. Wait for the results detail to appear showing the price which each lot realised, and

4. On the day of the auction and subsequently watch some of your favourite (if that's the right word?) Ebay sellers to see what appears in their listings and how much they want for it/get for it.

5. (optional) Compile a copy of the business plan or profit ratio your favourite(?) Ebay trader appears to be using.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now here is a special treat for followers of this thread.  The next Special Auction Services 'Toys for The Collector' auction takes place on 29/30 may (link below to the listing of lots) and many of the model railway lots this time round are eminently identifiable for future reference.  So here is where the fun lies -

1. Download and keep a copy of the lot listing (probably sensible to print it as the old lists don't always last online after the auction) from here

http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/ty300513/index.html

2. Either watch the auction live online OR,

3. Wait for the results detail to appear showing the price which each lot realised, and

4. On the day of the auction and subsequently watch some of your favourite (if that's the right word?) Ebay sellers to see what appears in their listings and how much they want for it/get for it.

5. (optional) Compile a copy of the business plan or profit ratio your favourite(?) Ebay trader appears to be using.

And then send to HM Revenue & Customs?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the market sees it your way, Mark. TBH it looked rather fun, but £25 is an OK price for a piece of whimsy.

I think the market sees it your way, Mark. TBH it looked rather fun, but £25 is an OK price for a piece of whimsy.

You could well be right, Ian - or someone wanted it for spares! :sungum:

Cheers

Mark

I spotted this gem in the lot lists!

http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/ty300513/lot0730-0.jpg

The most unfortunate Dublo Castle of all time?

The West Country has not fared too well either!

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

That model is an even poorer representation of the EM2 than Heljans, glad I don't model Australian either,

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Relisted with a low starting price of £65 now - shouldn't that be lower starting price?  The £100 one was a one-day auction, now he's gonna wait 17 days to find there are no takers at £65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Train-diesel-shunter-00-gauge-New-Must-See-/140968650344?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20d262e668

Relisted with a low starting price of £65 now - shouldn't that be lower starting price?  The £100 one was a one-day auction, now he's gonna wait 17 days to find there are no takers at £65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Train-diesel-shunter-00-gauge-New-Must-See-/140968650344?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20d262e668

Must be studying to be a politician, with promises/U-turns like these:-

"Low starting price, happy bidding!

Just lowered, will not be making anymore reductions!!!"

• RMweb Premium

Well, new ones are around that price, so anything 'old' must be worth more!

That model is an even poorer representation of the EM2 than Heljans, glad I don't model Australian either,

Mike.

....and the long-term strengthening of the Australian dollar against sterling makes AUS modelling in the UK even more uneconomic. When I was being tempted by a Steam Era Models kit for the "R" class 4-6-4, it was back in 2002 and the exchange rate was AUD2.8-ish = £1 :O