EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

The buyer is probably happy enough not knowing that he spent more than he need have. This could be a classic example of "Ignorance is bliss"

It's amazing how few people seem to do any research when they want to buy something.

Keith

It's amazing how few people seem to do any research when they want to buy something.

When such research is fairly straightforward it can be hard to feel sorry for people.

I once sold a bunch of Peco N gauge railfreight vans, unboxed, on Ebaty.  They went for on average £2 each more than you could buy them new boxed from pretty much any model shop in the country at the time.

....., it could be Gostude muscling his way into a new sector of the market - after all, you should see the mountain of overpriced loco kits that he has built up....

UPDATE: Apparently "Gostude" is the ID of a Mr. Greg Diffen who operates from an address in the Warwick area. Anyone encountered him before?

• RMweb Gold

UPDATE: Apparently "Gostude" is the ID of a Mr. Greg Diffen who operates from an address in the Warwick area. Anyone encountered him before?

I believe there are one or two RMwebbers who frequent auction houses and probably know him at least by sight.

clicky

I think somebodys slipped something into my drink :O  :jester:

Actually, the only "error" I can see is the HD "LMS" coach is in BR livery. Everything else seems to be correct.....

What is acetate palstic? 

Cellulose Acetate is/was an early (1940s-1950s) thermo-plastic. This was a little unstable, and tends to warp. (Warp-capable plastic?)

This was used by Tr-ang Railways until mostly replaced by the far more stable Polystyrene Plastic in around 1956-1957.

Well it is supposed to be an LMS coach (pity it is short on length) (They did try to pass them off as Mk Is later on though).

I think the query referred to the dyslexic "palstic" though. I thought it was a typo but it's there twice.

The other error was asking £4.99 + p&p for what is basically junk.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Both couplings present but one coupling hook missing.

Eh? So therefore they aren't.

MIke.

Is this the type of long wheel-base wagon Hornby have fitted with "swinging axles", a lot like 2-wheel bogies?

Is this the type of long wheel-base wagon Hornby have fitted with "swinging axles", a lot like 2-wheel bogies?

It is indeed. AFAIK Hornby haven't got around to upgrading this one to a rigid underframe (I might be wrong here though). Mine (a proper one - not a 'Thomas' effort) certainly has these horrors fitted. Glue is a good cure, or with care the wagon could be equalised.

If the rotating axle units are really needed, they can be controlled by replacing the plastic springs with a diagonal wire link, as in the Corgi missile trailer. It can just be seen here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corgi-RAF-Thunderbird-missile-on-trailer-and-Land-Rover-GS-3-/130927786331?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item1e7be7795b

Kleinbahn used a similar system on their wagons, but without Hornby's centring spring (or the side to side flop). The two I had derailed at every opportunity, until I modified them like this.

(When pulled they're not too bad as the axles turn to follow the curves, but when propelled, the couplings tend to push the axles the other way.) (Or is it just me?)

Edited by Il Grifone

I do sometimes wonder if some of these sellers deliberately put stuff like that up to see if it gets mentioned here.

Cheers,

Mick

Given the metaphorical kicking such things (and their vendors) usually get, that would have to be the same line of thinking as the boss of a certain (allegedly cut-price) airborne cattle truck outfit uses...

...but wouldn't explain the non-railway tat that is also seen on Ebay which isn't mentioned on these august pages...

Mark

• RMweb Gold

A certain Jenny Emily of this parish, faced with wrecks like that on her own 4mm layout after the vandals had been in, was showing how to restore such things. Even a non-modeller could straighten a bit here and there, surely?

He does say there's a set of levers - pity the pic doesn't show them...

Mark

Possibly card levers?

A certain Jenny Emily of this parish, faced with wrecks like that on her own 4mm layout after the vandals had been in, was showing how to restore such things. Even a non-modeller could straighten a bit here and there, surely?

The steps and some windows are perfectly salvageable.

If it was taken apart, the bits could possibly be Ironed flat again....

(No, it is the wrong scale, etc. for me! ;)

In the sellers listings, there are a couple of other damaged buildings, and a broken signal, amongst some pretty good looking O gauge stuff (including a couple of Big Big Train coach bodies...

Edited by Sarahagain

You might be surprised... I recently listed a few coaches in about equivalent condition on the off chance (they've been sat in the loft for a good few years, another ten days before they go in the bin won't hurt!), and a good few of them have bids on already. Only £1 each so far, admittedly, but a few quid is worth the few minutes taking photos and few minutes to post them!

Can anyone explain to me why FGW liveries fetch such high prices on eBay? Is it because the model manufacturers have to pay FGW a relatively large amount per model to use the livery under license, so they end up only producing small quantities that they know they can sell?

Prompted by a comment I recently read on here (can't remember which thread) on the prices Hornby FGW Mk3's are achieving I thought I'd have a look....... :O ....... and I'm not normally one for using smileys!

I think my small 4 car FGW HST set could fetch £550 to £600 based on current eBay prices! ........ £117 for a Hornby Mk3?

I also think I could at least triple if not quadruple the original new purchase price of my Bachmann FGW Class 166!

Just interested to know why this is?