EBay madness

Marcyg

I first thought about the early Britannia "running in" livery, but I think that was the "early crest" Lion-on-a-unicycle. (My favourite crest by the way! :sungum: )

So, I now reckon that this tender is ex 9f 2-10-0 in goods black, not Class 7 4-6-2 "Britannia" in "wartime" black! ;)

I guess that it's a mistake (wrong photo?). I've dealt with them for Hornby coach spares and have enjoyed a satisfactory service.

It would be very interesting to know if any of the 'usual suspects' do read the wonderful stuff written about them on this thread! If they did, I suspect that they probably wouldn't give a ***s, if the behaviour of some at auctions is taken into account. :stinker:

I would agree, a mistake...

So, I now reckon that this tender is ex 9f 2-10-0 in goods black, not Class 7 4-6-2 "Britannia" in "wartime" black! ;)

I think the "usual suspects" like the extra views and watchers they get for their listings! I suspect that there could be in excess of 100 views added from on here! :O

Has this been rescued from Barry I wonder (to have got in the state its in):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Spare-A3-A4-Chassis-E-/141071885594?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20d88a251a

Either way, it seems a bit steep for essentially a motor and chassis block.

Probably the last remains after the spares vultures have finished dismembering the poor loco! :O

Edited by Sarahagain

Probably the last remains after the spares vultures have finished dismembering the poor loco! :O

Yes, that's what I thought too. I'm even wondering if the springs and motor bushes are still present looking at the state of it!

Chassis only - may be bits missing....    Understatement of the year ?

Haha yes, I also liked 'may need rewiring' - to what, an imaginary contact plate?

Edited by 84A

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R354-Class-08-D3010-in-BR-green-MINT-BOXED-/221286853879?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3385b96cf7

I am sure mum and dad did not pay that much for mine on my 8th birthday. even if it was MINT

Wouldn't give him £3.39p for it.

(At the end of the day it is a toy not a model).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R354-Class-08-D3010-in-BR-green-MINT-BOXED-/221286853879?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3385b96cf7

I am sure mum and dad did not pay that much for mine on my 8th birthday. even if it was MINT

Aye, farren.  I remember when tha couldst buy an 08 and still have change for a poke of chips and the bus fare home ;)

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

This appears to be another in the Gostude/Cartmel mould, seeing the matching composite is available at £24 BIN (which is quite enough IMHO).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Hornby-Caledonian-Railway-brake-coach-R428-boxed-/360726399072?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53fcf80860

And even Gostude will throw in the coaches for quite a lot less than this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-SEALED-MINT-BOXED-TRIANG-Hornby-R553-NEILSON-CALEDONIAN-4-2-2-SINGLE-/400578543897?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5d44578119

(I will allow Gostude's isn't sealed and has a 'repair' (the part is available) but....)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

I think it's a typo. He previously had the item for sale at £39 with no takers so looks like a bit of finger trouble when he relisted it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R354-Class-08-D3010-in-BR-green-MINT-BOXED-/221282246631?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3385731fe7

I guess that it's a mistake (wrong photo?). I've dealt with them for Hornby coach spares and have enjoyed a satisfactory service.

They do seem to be able to offer quite a lot of spares (i.e. bodies and tenders) that would simply not be available from Hornby (or at least not officially).

A bit on the low side methinks!!

However if you have any toys like that for £3.39 please PM me  LOL 

It would be like one of those £3.99 coaches.  Only fifteen hours work, a few pounds worth of underframe detail, a tenner's worth of decals, another few pounds worth of flush glazing, new buffers, new bogies, proper wheels & all and why bother spending twenty notes on a Bachmann one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-SEALED-MINT-BOXED-TRIANG-Hornby-R553-NEILSON-CALEDONIAN-4-2-2-SINGLE-/400578543897?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5d44578119

(I will allow Gostude's isn't sealed and has a 'repair' (the part is available) but....)

Seriously? I saw a GWR Bulldog finished (painted, with motor etc) in O Gauge requiring repair after a fall. It really didnt look like much work, but I chose to leave it because I just dont have the room nor the track. The price: £175 - i'm kicking myself for not buying it now if people expect to get £245 for one of these!

On the plus side, theres free postage!

Edited by 84A
  • Like 1

It would be like one of those £3.99 coaches.  Only fifteen hours work, a few pounds worth of underframe detail, a tenner's worth of decals, another few pounds worth of flush glazing, new buffers, new bogies, proper wheels & all and why bother spending twenty notes on a Bachmann one?

Exactly what I said on the thread about the £3.99p toy coaches!

Exactly what I said on the thread about the £3.99p toy coaches!

Agreed if going to all the bother, but I am adding about three pounds worth of cosmetic embellishments to each of mine so I think they're still quite a bargain, especially for the enjoyment factor.  

At least when I say enjoyment factor the flaming annoyance of trying to hand paint a I on some of the doors, finding it had run a little and then cursing and swearing as I try to strip it off again...

This appears to be another in the Gostude/Cartmel mould, seeing the matching composite is available at £24 BIN (which is quite enough IMHO).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Hornby-Caledonian-Railway-brake-coach-R428-boxed-/360726399072?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item53fcf80860

That Caledonian Coach is the later Grey Roof version as well! The first ones have white roofs. The grey ones are stright from the BR (etc) MK1 production line...cheapskates! ;)

I do like the 123 Loco...mine is a little worn, and not in a sealed box, but I do know it runs fine!  8)

Well I'm impressed by Nedrahn's dedication in reading through this thread seemingly from the start, which would explain the twelve day time lag between perceived insult and the post above, but was it really worth it? Spending some time cultivating a thicker skin might have better long tern benefits.

I have many other calls on my time. Sorry. I'll only glance over this forum when I have the chance. That means I could easily miss posts and take a long time to reply, as here. If some members can stay glued to RMWeb at all hours then good on them. I can't. 

I don't tolerate bullying in any form. Skin, thick or thin, has nothing to do with it. This is a matter of principle. Horsefan originally patronised me. I replied and that would have been the end of it, but Dudders decided to twist my post for a cheap laugh at my expense. A few of you out there think that's okay, even funny. I don't. However, I don't feel I'm automatically right about everything, hence my research. Dudders made specific claims about my original post. I decided to see if his attack was valid. Unless I've missed it, Dudders hasn't bothered with an apology, which is all I want.

It's easy to ridicule someone on a forum. I consider it cowardice, but if others don't then fair enough. I won't be making any further posts on this subject (I can hear the cheers already). However, if Dudders happens to be at a model show in Kent, I do suggest he looks out for me. I'm of average height, I guess, with brown hair. I usually wear a black top or shirt, black jeans and black DMs, with a black leather jacket in the colder period, or a long blue coat if it's really cold. I would happily give Dudders the opportunity to ridicule me to my face.

What's a long tern benefit? Something twitchers get from the government?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281170470850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like the power cars are becoming as sought after as the carriages. From recent ebay prices, Hornby would do well to re-release the whole set (power cars and all carriage types) as there's clearly a demand for them.

Unsurprising really, considering that FGW operate over half of the HST fleet and they cover a wide geographical area.

Ironically, these aren't even one of the best of the recent Hornby HSTs - the colour looks slightly off to me (too much purple in it), and the roof grilles / headlights could do with improvement.

Not quite! the £3.99 coach at least looks like a Mk I SK; the Hornby (Tri-ang - it's that old!) 08 needs a new body and a new chassis to get to that state.

Edited by Il Grifone

Agreed if going to all the bother, but I am adding about three pounds worth of cosmetic embellishments to each of mine so I think they're still quite a bargain, especially for the enjoyment factor.  

At least when I say enjoyment factor the flaming annoyance of trying to hand paint a I on some of the doors, finding it had run a little and then cursing and swearing as I try to strip it off again...

If you are doing several it would be worth getting the HMRS Pressfix transfers. It saves all that hassle and gives a far better result. (The SK bodyshell is really only correct for an SK, an SO or, with a bit of window filling, a RMB.)

That Caledonian Coach is the later Grey Roof version as well! The first ones have white roofs. The grey ones are stright from the BR (etc) MK1 production line...cheapskates! ;)

I do like the 123 Loco...mine is a little worn, and not in a sealed box, but I do know it runs fine!  8)

Perhaps the grey roof makes it rare. :jester:  I like the CR loco too. I  saw the real thing when she visited Bristol Temple Meads in the late 50s. The model was, I felt, spoilt by the oversize driving wheels and splashers (more cheapskating).. Perhaps I should get one to go with my CR coaches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281170470850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like the power cars are becoming as sought after as the carriages. From recent ebay prices, Hornby would do well to re-release the whole set (power cars and all carriage types) as there's clearly a demand for them.

Unsurprising really, considering that FGW operate over half of the HST fleet and they cover a wide geographical area.

Ironically, these aren't even one of the best of the recent Hornby HSTs - the colour looks slightly off to me (too much purple in it), and the roof grilles / headlights could do with improvement.

:O :o :O

Edited by Il Grifone

If you are doing several it would be worth getting the HMRS Pressfix transfers. It saves all that hassle and gives a far better result. (The SK bodyshell is really only correct for an SK, an SO or, with a bit of window filling, a RMB.)

Thanks for the tip, but I ordered the Fox pack earlier today.  Ho-hum!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the power cars are becoming as sought after as the carriages.

I have one FGW PC and Big Bob Oversett has the other of the pair. Likewise, we each have one Grand Central buffered version.................. We both wanted to do an NMT with one buffer and one non-buffer PC.

Maybe me and Bob need to have a joint ebay account..........?

Cheers,

Mick