EBay madness

Marcyg

Indeed.

eBay aren't interested in sellers 'word bombing' in efforts to try & get more 'hits' from the search facility either, it would seem. Even though, in the eyes of the law, it's surely misrepresentation at best?

eBay's report system eliminated complaints based on misrepresentation ages ago, a clear indication they're not interested in bidders/buyers being misled.

So has this heap of sh** from Gosturd...and look at the price on that bit of misrepresentation....

What, exactly, is a "kit built....detailing kit"???!?

I've spotted a lot of that on eBay - 'Kit Built' being used on anything that's not straight out of the box. One of the common suggested searched in the model railway section is 'kit built' so no doubt the plan is to get as many items as possible picked up by these common searches.

I do wonder how anyone could think that a badly detailed old version M7 is worth more than the latest Hornby version. It's as if he thinks that because the model had has work done on it, it instantly becomes more valuable regardless of how well it;s been done.

Edited by pete_mcfarlane

Replying to Stovepipe; Whilst there are spell-checkers on most computers, many people have difficulty spelling. So I wouldn't consider the incorrect spelling of professional too much of an error.

However, proffessional may be an adjective that I do not know, and which means non-professional.

Thane of fife

Just spotted this loco built by a "professional model maker":

I suspect that a lot of these 'professional' loco kit builders throw the models together as quickly as possible, probably with little or no research in to the prototype. I guess it keeps their prices down.

Edited by pete_mcfarlane

• RMweb Gold

He's got the decimal point in the wrong place.It sought after too,must be those couplings.

"It has been lightly used but I think it is for all intents and pruposes mint."

Leaving aside the spelling, 'Mint' 'excludes 'use' even 'lightly'. (The term comes from coin collecting and refers to a coin as minted (hence the name) - supplied in a protective packing from which is never removed. Our approximate (the contents are intended to be used :senile:  :yes: ) equivalent is an unopened box.)

Edited by Il Grifone

'Buy it now' examples of an item available at $35.83 and $46.99. An auction started at $0.01 and, 17 bids later, went for $49.50. I really don't understand that - do people get fixated on a particular auction and not look any further?

London Underground Class 20 - 'cannot be purchased from Model Shops'! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-class-20-London-Transport-brand-new-EXCLUSIVE-ONLY-/281286236571?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item417df7599b  

Well, apart from the LT Museum shop in Covent Garden (and online), where they cost £60 less!!!

• Like 1

"It has been lightly used but I think it is for all intents and pruposes mint."

Leaving aside the spelling, 'Mint' 'excludes 'use' even 'lightly'. (The term comes from coin collecting and refers to a coin as minted (hence the name) - supplied in a protective packing from which is never removed. Our approximate (the contents are intended to be used :senile:  :yes: ) equivalent is an unopened box.)

Perhaps it's "Code 3" mint?

'Buy it now' examples of an item available at $35.83 and $46.99. An auction started at $0.01 and, 17 bids later, went for $49.50. I really don't understand that - do people get fixated on a particular auction and not look any further?

I had a similar experience in that an item (at a very reasonable price) was on a Buy it Now, it had five people watching it (!) so I just pressed the button and bought it. Why on a BIN do people watch, the price ain't gonna change!

I found this one amusing;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRATCHBUILT-GWR-BOGIE-BRAKE-COACH-LOT-69-/390816608529?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5afe7c3111

Firstly it looks rather more like a LNWR carriage and secondly the description "nicely done" appears to be the sellers attitude to a possible buyer more than an accurate description of the item.

I see this as just another example of the "decline" of ebay as it has steadily been taken over by traders who don't know what they are selling and are willing to be economic with the truth to make a sale.

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 2

I totally agree LNWRmodeller. It seems that Ebay are not interested in advertising standards.

A lot of used items seem to be "Mint".

"Mint in box" does not mean the original box.

"Mega-rare" means haven't sold one for seven days.

"Finescale" is a term used by vendors who do not know what it means.

"Kit built" is a lie used to attract more viewers.

"Original condition" means dropped, bent, and paint chipped.

There are so many mis-descriptions, and Ebay do nothing about them.

Thane of fife

Edited by Thane of Fife

• RMweb Premium

London Underground Class 20 - 'cannot be purchased from Model Shops'! 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-class-20-London-Transport-brand-new-EXCLUSIVE-ONLY-/281286236571?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item417df7599b

Well, apart from the LT Museum shop in Covent Garden (and online), where they cost £60 less!!!

An interesting user name too for someone intending to make such a capital(ist) gain from any transaction!

• Like 2

I had a similar experience in that an item (at a very reasonable price) was on a Buy it Now, it had five people watching it (!) so I just pressed the button and bought it. Why on a BIN do people watch, the price ain't gonna change!

I can understand that to some extent. I know the details of the case I described because I was wanted to buy one of those items. It's new, quite a few have come up on E-bay and the prices have been all over the place. I was watching several - BINs and auctions - trying to decide whether to buy one of those then available or wait to see if any turned up at cheaper prices. (I eventually bought one of the $35.83 BINs - more than 50% off manufacturer's price. I reckoned that was good enough.) 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure this is madness but I'd like some thoughts on the price of this pair of beauties from Rails.Not much of a description for 700 sheets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-OO-GWR-4-6-0-KING-GEORGE-V-6000-LOCOMOTIVE-/191133183347?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&

hash=item2c806ced73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-OO-GWR-4-6-0-BERRY-POMEROY-CASTLE-5012-/191133183343?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c806ced6f

I'm not sure this is madness but I'd like some thoughts on the price of this pair of beauties from Rails.Not much of a description for 700 sheets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-OO-GWR-4-6-0-KING-GEORGE-V-6000-LOCOMOTIVE-/191133183347?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&

hash=item2c806ced73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-OO-GWR-4-6-0-BERRY-POMEROY-CASTLE-5012-/191133183343?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c806ced6f

Well you would not expect the professionals to know that they are Mitchell kits would you! There is also a Finney Dean Goods. Price seems spot on for that quality to me.

However there are no excuses for putting the roof on the wrong way round after photographing the interior on this bit of LMS fiction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITBUILT-OO-GAUGE-LMS-RAILMOTOR-/201070620027?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2ed0be2d7b

Is it the North Staffs railmotor in that crazy livery?

Tony

• Like 1

Replying to Stovepipe; Whilst there are spell-checkers on most computers, many people have difficulty spelling. So I wouldn't consider the incorrect spelling of professional too much of an error.However, proffessional may be an adjective that I do not know, and which means non-professional.Thane of fife

I guess Stovepipe feels like me. If you are professional you oughta be abel to spel it proppa, spel checka or noe spelchecka. I would be more inclined to be taken in by those scam emails if the wording was spelt correctly in them.

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't look much like it.

The cab was split between the loco and coach, the loco was enclosed apart from the smokebox & chimney and it only drove the front wheels.

Keith

Edited by melmerby