Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

If the problem is due to poor mixing, then the manufacturer should be obliged to supply a replacement free of charge.

As the problem is well known and has been documented for many many years I can see no excuse why it should even happen today.

Keith

£70's expensive for some bogies and a motor! Rails of Sheffield used to be my chosen stock supplier and always appeared pretty respectable 'back in the day' but having seen many of their eBay auctions over the last 5 years, they're losing my trust even as a new RTR seller (will it really be new?) - just got to hope the likes of Hattons don't follow the same path!

About a year ago, I bought a "loco drive" Hornby 9F from Rails, only for it to be an old Margate tender drive model when it arrived.  If they cant tell the difference, they are in the wrong business.  To be fair, they did refund my money and postage when I returned it.

Well it is Gostude (home of the inaccurate descriptions) - for once the item is not seriously overpriced (only about twice!),

IMHO it's about time we had a retooled version of this and not just reruns of the old Tri-ang model (slightly improved I know, but... ).

Mazak can expand when impure (the first series of Farish Pullman cars comes to mind) and/or break up. I imagine it depends on the quantity or type of impurity.

Edited by Il Grifone

A well known purveyor of overpriced model railway items, does seem to be short on railway knowledge.

He told me that streamlined LNER P2's had different sized wheels to "Cock o' the North" the original P2.

Another vendor advertised a Articulated triplet restaurant car set without the articulation bogies, saying that the middle car was supported by the two outer cars (with one bogie each). If that was the case, the axle loading would be so high that the set wouldn't be allowed to run anywhere on British Railways.

However, bargains can be found. One modeller (not me, I'm sad to say) picked up a brass LNER J73, that had been wrongly offered as a J72.

Thane of fife

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not Ebay but too funny not to share.  A tropical fishkeeping/aquarium classifieds site has a page of model railway items due to picking up "frog" in the description.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/shopping/20754-Electrofrog-1-HIGHEST.html

Strange that everything is listed as £115, but if you click on an item you get the proper (normal) price

Keith

EDIT even stranger, everything now lists at the proper price!!! (What's happening there?)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Not Ebay but too funny not to share.  A tropical fishkeeping/aquarium classifieds site has a page of model railway items due to picking up "frog" in the description.

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/shopping/20754-Electrofrog-1-HIGHEST.html

I now know where to advertise my Toad brake van and various PW vehicles.

It still amazes me of how some things on ebay are set at incredibly high prices, yet no bids. Or with hours left, and the bidding war goes through the roof at incredibly high prices. How do the few people somehow afford these prices, or can't and get an hefty price to pay if they DO win. Rarity or not, still amazes me of how people goes to certain extense just to bid constantly.  

It still amazes me of how some things on ebay are set at incredibly high prices, yet no bids. Or with hours left, and the bidding war goes through the roof at incredibly high prices. How do the few people somehow afford these prices, or can't and get an hefty price to pay if they DO win. Rarity or not, still amazes me of how people goes to certain extense just to bid constantly.  

I sometimes wonder if it is habitual, like gambling.  I do trawl ebay quite a lot and find myself putting bids on things - only mine are usually speculative ones that occasionally win.

• RMweb Gold

Aaargh!

My eyes!

"A friend of mine who did the DCC Sound conversion that the respay is an exceelnet job, and that if he had done it he would ahve been proud of it."

I've drunkenly bought the odd thing on EBay but I've never tried to sell anything on it whilst under the influence! 

• Like 1