EBay madness

Marcyg

First contact was extremely polite, but pointing out item not as described. Immediate response was item WAS as described and pointing out that seller has a no returns policy. I then mentioned I'd use the ebay dispute system, and post negative feedback. I was then given the simple response "Crack on". So I have, sellers like this should be exposed, although again I suspect he doesn't know what the problem is.

Neil

You should have no problem getting a refund. They are usually very hot on this and debit the seller's account quite quickly. A 'no returns' policy is not valid where the goods are not as described. Above all as this case begins to appear to be a deliberate fraud.

My daughter has had sellers recently who "Lost the item" and cancelled the order (won at auction)  - eBay took a dim view and warned both sellers that a repeat complaint would mean freezing of their accounts.

• Like 1

There is a post office in a Tesco superstore that is open on Sundays.

....though in reality the post won't go anywhere until the Monday morning.

My local PO is open until 1pm on a Saturday but, if you miss the 12 midday deadline for special / signed-for post, they will still take in what you are sending but it will sit in their storeroom until Monday.

• Like 1

I had a case earlier in the year, where I won a kit at a good price. It arrived quickly but didn't include wheels as described and pictured. On contacting the seller, he promised to source a set of wheels, but then he ignored all my messages.

On opening a dispute, a set of wheels miraculously appeared and he posted them to me, but accused me of telling lies. I found myself wondering how he obtained a set of Romfords so quickly, as they were replaced by Markits several years ago.

I kept a copy of all his messages and they contained contradictory statements. So who was telling lies?

It was the only dispute that I've had with Ebay sellers, and was happy with the outcome.

Thane of Fife

....though in reality the post won't go anywhere until the Monday morning.

My local PO is open until 1pm on a Saturday but, if you miss the 12 midday deadline for special / signed-for post, they will still take in what you are sending but it will sit in their storeroom until Monday.

This is not true, all PO's have a final collection time of 12:30pm on Saturdays.

We have to scan a barcode to prove collection, if you scan before 12:30, or the final collection time, you will normally be taken off collections for several weeks, and face a conduct code warning if a repeat offender.

If a PO is connected to a delivery office ALL the mail will be cleared from the PO by close of business on a Saturday.

During the week PO's have a final collection time of 17:30, some are even as late as 18:00

This is not true, all PO's have a final collection time of 12:30pm on Saturdays.

We have to scan a barcode to prove collection, if you scan before 12:30, or the final collection time, you will normally be taken off collections for several weeks, and face a conduct code warning if a repeat offender.

If a PO is connected to a delivery office ALL the mail will be cleared from the PO by close of business on a Saturday.

During the week PO's have a final collection time of 17:30, some are even as late as 18:00

Not in my local (Brampton Grove PO) it isn't. 12 noon is the deadline for signed-for/special delivery (and has been so for a good long while), because that's when the bloke from Royal Mail collects it all. If you miss it, then Monday is the next collection

There's very few of those vintage Tri-ang shorty coaches, that survive in good condition these days, although, now and again, you can find a few nice condition ones, on a collectors layout.

In my view, some of the better ones should be "frozen in time" by being immersed and set, in clear resin to preserve them as museum pieces !

The appearance is very dated and I can't imagine future generations queuing up to buy them. They must rank as one of the least durable model railway items, ever produced anywhere in the world, although, at least the buffers have stood the test of time and can be re - used !  To hope for £29.99, on ebay, is never going to happen :no:

I think many eBay users, sellers and buyers alike, don't really understand the rules regarding "No Returns". The rule is there to stop buyers having received an item which was as properly described in the listing, and then changing their mind and then asking their money back.

If an item is not as described in the listing then the rule does not apply at all.

I have had several instances where the seller has quoted "No Returns" and each time eBay has adjudged in my favour and gived me the full price plus postage, provided the goods were sent back to the seller.

David

• Like 1

The Rovex 'self destruct' mechanism strikes again!

These things are always warped (though not always as badly as this one), but should have the buffers fitted and a coupling on both ends . They're not particularly rare* (even the Rovex version) and not worth much at all (couple of quid at most!).

* The rare straight ones will have been manufactured after Tri-ang switched to polystyrene around 1956. This particular horror desirable collectable left the catalogue soon afterwards, but a 2mm scale version was manufactured by Lone Star. Having infected you all with the collecting bug, there are 1st and 3rd class versions to look out for.  :jester:   

EDIT I hadn't noticed this little gem.

This model will be a fantastic addition to any collector of railway models, especially ideal for those who enjoy mending damaged trains.

Umm..... No!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

How the hell did they open the smoke box door with the vac pipe in the way!, the one on the back looks like its made from a drain pipe as well.

How the hell did they open the smoke box door with the vac pipe in the way!, the one on the back looks like its made from a drain pipe as well.

The rear one is the K's casting (yes they are that bad!). The front one is another make (can't remember whose, but seeing the only reason to know is to avoid....!).

I have two of these, both of which have been assembled much better than this, and in total they cost me less than half what Rails are charging.

Not in my local (Brampton Grove PO) it isn't. 12 noon is the deadline for signed-for/special delivery (and has been so for a good long while), because that's when the bloke from Royal Mail collects it all. If you miss it, then Monday is the next collection

Hi,

As Ivan has stated the cut off time for signed for / special delivery items is often earlier than the actual close of business.

At the local post office I quoted in my earlier post this is at the same time as Ivan has given.

Additionally on a weekday the cut off for special delivery items is 16.30 with the postman collecting at 17.30.

I dont know but this would seem to be to allow for processing or similar.

Whatever the reason may be Ivan (Horsetan) is correct - I know this because i've just missed the cut off a few times when posting including the rare occasions when i've sold bits on ebay - and even possibly when posting something to Horsetan himself !!.

Regards

Consider me "stunned" :jester:

On a secondary note, since I'm viewing this from the US, I see this has been set up for the Global Shipping program at 16 quid to me, question is this;

The seller has stated "...only UK bids." presumable chose the wrong option somewhere??

I certainly expect if I won it there'd be no issue getting it since it clearly provides for international delivery to me?

In some senses I'm rather pleased at this, since I often see items I'd like to bid on, but state UK bids/sales only, and if somehow those now get "Global Shipping" however that is selected, it means I've more options, which I like :)

Edited by Ian Abel

Hi

Bit of a strange going on with some bidding on EBay, I placed a bid and was out bid, OK no problem.

When looking at the bidding it came up with private bidder, I placed a bid of £65.00 and was out bid, with a bid of £63.00?.

Every time I placed a new bid I was out bided again with a lower bid, from the same person, also I noticed that he has been putting bid on against himself

I can not understand how you can be out bided with lower bids? .

Also the item started at 0.99p , then the private bidder place a bid in at £15.00 ,then two minutes later place another bid at £25.00, then £35.00 twice ,then £36.00 and so on , until I came in at £40.00.

This person is the only other bidder for this item, no one else has come into the bid. 

I am getting the feeling that this is the person selling the item and is pushing the price up on me?.

Darren

Edited by darren01

Hi

Bit of a strange going on with some bidding on EBay, I placed a bid and was out bid, OK no problem.

When looking at the bidding it came up with private bidder, I placed a bid of £65.00 and was out bid, with a bid of £63.00?.

Every time I placed a new bid I was out bided again with a lower bid, from the same person, also I noticed that he has been putting bid on against himself

I can not understand how you can be out bided with lower bids? .

Also the item started at 0.99p , then the private bidder place a bid in at £15.00 ,then two minutes later place another bid at £25.00, then £35.00 twice ,then £36.00 and so on , until I came in at £40.00.

This person is the only other bidder for this item, no one else has come into the bid. 

I am getting the feeling that this is the person selling the item and is pushing the price up on me?.

Darren

One seller, two ebay accounts (or a complicit friend) = shill bidding. If you have doubts, let ebay know. However, that doesn't explain you being outbid by a lower bid which is definitely odd.