EBay madness

Marcyg

I don't want to get into the Hard Jeff debate again (is he hard, by the way, would he take our drummer on in the car park, I mean what a handle!), but as I am an unapologetic defender of our mother tongue, I can't help but smirk at these completely contradictory parts of the description:

CLOSE TO THE END OF HER WORKING LIFE

PAINTWORK FADED

COVERED IN TRACK GRIME AND DIESEL EXHAUST

but:

IN AS NEW CONDITION

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bachmann-CLASS-25-WEATHERED-BEAUTIFUL-LOOK-/320557852805?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aa2bca885#ht_917wt_1137

I have to say that the 25 suits this treatement a bit more than some of the other models I've seen, my memeories of them was that they always seemed incredibly decrepit....

I have to say that the 25 suits this treatement a bit more than some of the other models I've seen, my memories of them was that they always seemed incredibly decrepit...

I'm sure that 'Chard isn't complaining about the model itself - the weathering, although a tad extreme, looks very well done. What niggles is that the listing, as he says, contradicts itself ("as new" indeed!) and is written by someone whose caps lock is permanently stuck down. That, and the bizarre size and colour changes in the font ("Mmm - mauve! I wasn't going to bid, but that text colour has convinced me otherwise..."), spell "tread with care"!

These are minor niggles, in the great scheme of things, of course, but it provides us all with some harmless entertainment. I don't agree, as some have suggested, that mockery of these lots amounts to a form of cyber-bullying. While it would be wrong to have a go at someone on this, or any other, board, for their deficiencies with spelling or grammar (and heaven knows, we can all hit the wrong key occasionally), once an Ebayer puts his listing up, I think a discerning buyer has a right to expect that it's been run past a spell-checker first.

Also, it would be nice if some of these posts were shown to one of the seller's friends beforehand, who could give honest advice on whether the listing made the seller look shouty or mad. For the record, Hard Jeff comes across as a bit of both, although his spelling is OK! Calm down, dear, it's a nicely-weathered model! No need to yell at us!

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the description of a weathered item as 'as new' (and he's not alone, I've seen them listed as 'mint') I don't object to HJ's style of posting. Although upper case is regarded as shouting in text & email, I think ebay listings are different entirely. effectively being a form of advertisement. Many seem to have a lot in common with Victoriam & Edwardian posters and handbills, and more recently circus, variety show and gig posters, where a variety of fonts and a lot of capitals were/are used to grab attention.

Get your Kitmasters out of the cupboard...

60 quid for a Battle of Britain!

Interestlingly described as"MIB" ('Mint in Box' I assume) and "MINT" and then goes on to state "(many parts removed from plastic sprues)", which means it isn't!

(I remenber these kits usually came with bits already off the sprues and often missing altogether. They were always very good at supplying a replacement part however.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think what HJ is getting at is that the mechanism is fresh from the box, and that the entire loco was mint in box before he started his process. Completely agree that it could be better worded, however.

It begs the question though, if a loco is purchased new and sent to a professional for a respray/weathering, is it no longer new? It is clearly no longer mint, but new? Has it ever turned a wheel? By ebay's revised definitions, HJ's locos should certainly be listed as used - as should most of the 'new' locos which have "only been test run".

Presumably the same must apply to new locos that have been sound-chipped by the shop prior to onward sale. This would include a good many advertisers in the monthlies, as well as eBay sellers. Where a factory item is subjected to any further professional service eBay would obviously expect a seller to list it as 'used,' which is a tad misleading.

TRIX TWIN TTR TRIX EXPRESS - 3 RARE SCALE WAGON LITS Only £1,000 (or best offer)

Item # 230499032807

Not even "or best offer":

SPECIAL NOTE FOR THE FANATICAL TRIX WATCHERS - THIS LOCO IS FOR SALE AS A 'BUY IT NOW' ONLY AND WILL NOT BE OFFERED AS AN AUCTION ITEM IN THE FUTURE - IT IS POINTLESS WATCHING AND WAITING, YOU EITHER WANT IT OR YOU DONT. - IF YOU WANT SOME HIGH QUALITY PHOTOS TO DROOL OVER OR PUT ON YOUR BEDROOM WALL, I WILL SEND YOU SOME WITH PLEASURE

That's a really stinky attitude, I feel. Anyone with a degree of humanity would surely word that a little nicer.

Mind you, he call this lot a "loco" - presumably, this is a standard text which he's had to insert to fend off all those tiresome realists...

Just that wording - especially in red ink - would put me off dealing with this berk. Mind you, if I had £1000 spare for 3 rather ordinary-looking coaches, maybe I wouldn't care who I bought from.

He has even posted the various questions - look at the second answer!

Q: Hello. I recently bought 2 coaches like these but only require the sleeping car.Would you split your listing for 450 Euros in line with my other purchase price?. Thanks you.15-Jul-10

A: hi peter - sorry but i really dont want to split the set up unless i have a definate sale for the 2 dining cars. The buy it now price is a keen price compared to others i know that are currently being offered for sale by dealers. I will keep your email on file just in case i do get an offer for the 2 dining cars. - thanks

Q: Completely potty prices!!14-Jul-10

A: dear charliettr (philip cooke) - this is a typical comment from a TTRCA member - dont forget that the auction says 'or best offer' !!!!! - i may sell for 100.00 - then the buyer thinks he has a bargain and i get rid of another cr4ppy bit of trix - i will be glad to see the back of it all.

• RMweb Gold

That Trix seller is having a laugh. We could all annoy him by everyone here adding it to their watchlist and not buying it.

Now added to my watchlist

As well as another way to annoy this seller is everybody should pm Him enquiring about private sales & the send in ridiculously low offers.

Genuine offer made of £5.00

Calling yourself Isambard Kingdom Brunel on eBay is approximately 115% as naff as wearing a named football shirt and passing yourself off as Rooney, Beckham, Cole et al.

A more appropriate handle would be Gerald Ratner; describing the lot as 'cr4ppy' is hardly marketing genius. biggrin.gif

I offered £25. It's listed for 26 days, so I'm going to 'watch this item' to see the outcomelaugh.gifbiggrin.gif

He had 10 offers, all under a £100, but it has now ended with a buy-it-now. Anyone want to own up to buying it???laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif