RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/107-DRIED-TEA-BAGS-CONTAINING-TEA-LEAVES-FOR-BALLASTING-TRACK-/251899215931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa65d003b

Or you could make tea with them, I suppose ....?  :jester:

PS used them for years until I could afford 'real' ballast   :declare:

I built my first layout as a kid using dried tea leaves as ballast - I thought it looked wonderful.

A couple of weeks later I went back in the garage to do some more work on it and the ballast was covered with a fine mist of green mould which gradually grew bigger and greener over the next few days so I had to rip it all up!!

I never used dried tea leaves again!

Edited by Bodmin Bob

I built my first layout as a kid using dried tea leaves as ballast - I thought it looked wonderful.

A couple of weeks later I went back in the garage to do some more work on it and the ballast was covered with a fine mist of green mould which gradually grew bigger and greener over the next few days so I had to rip it all up!!

I never used dried tea leaves again!

I would imagine you would need to give them a good coating of PVA to stop them doing that, !

• RMweb Premium

Over seventy now with four days still to go!!!

Someone is have a laugh.....

The seller is no less than Hornby themselves, but I can't blame them, it had a reasonable start price. How I wish I bought a couple when they came out, but hey, hindsight is a science, foresight is an art.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The seller is no less than Hornby themselves, but I can't blame them, it had a reasonable start price. How I wish I bought a couple when they came out, but hey, hindsight is a science, foresight is an art.

Cheers,

Mick

I think that the perceived value of this item is not the subject as such but, and I quote, "This item was the last loco to come off the production line when made in Margate before production moved to China".

On that basis, it will have enormous historical value to the collectors amongst us.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Some very optimistic pricing in this seller's shop

I think that the perceived value of this item is not the subject as such but, and I quote, "This item was the last loco to come off the production line when made in Margate before production moved to China".

On that basis, it will have enormous historical value to the collectors amongst us.

Two for the price of one?

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-381P-Class-37-Diesel-37670-St-Blazey-DB-Schenker-/131467492621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9c12bd0d

"I shall upload a picture of the actual model as soon as possible"

With 8h to go at time of this posting it's at £97 - there seem to be a lot of trusting people out there.  T P Barnum would be pleased.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

A man after my own heart, whoever asked the question must be a civil servant or somesuch.

Mike.

That looks like a practise attempt of the old saw the lady in half trick.

Can things get worse?

Watch this space as I imagine they can.

Bernard

That looks like a practise attempt of the old saw the lady in half trick.

Can things get worse?

Watch this space as I imagine they can.

Bernard

Yes they can Bernard!

From the same seller - a completely worthless, badly broken old Triang Princess body on even more dilapidated and worthless Triang Princess chassis with no bogies or coupling rods.

In it's un-tampered state just a worthless piece of junk that would look simply great in a suitable dustbin!

But simply slap on a coat of orange paint and write 'Reserved' on in white ink and hey presto - as if by magic it's worth at least £25 unless you get caught in a bidding war.

To refer to this item as utter crap would just simply be an insult to real utter crap 

Can things get even worse? I wait with interest and deep anxiety!

IIRC, Hornby's double packs such as this, only had one powered engine. The other was a dummy.

Regards,

Matt

So the 'powered' one will only be eleven years old, then !!

• RMweb Premium

Over £155 now.  It is worth a fiver tops.

I would refer the Honourable Member to my previous posting #14963.

An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it - if it goes to £1,000,000, that is what it's worth.

I really can't understand why posters get so het-up about selling prices, (as opposed to starting prices).

It's someone else's money and it hasn't cost you anything ..... or is there an element of jealousy that he / she has had the luck to make a lot of money from what we perceive as nothing special ?

As to starting prices - if it's too silly it won't sell; end of !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

An item is worth (to that person) what they are willing to pay for it, but not to everyone.

£155 for a class 37 body is sheer stupidity to me, because to me the item is worth one hundredth of that price, £1.55.

There is no jealousy involved.

What often happens at auctions, is that after putting in a bid and then being outbid, certain psychological factors take over. People's egos begin to dominate as they refuse to accept being the loser. They can each even manufacture a hate complex about the rival bidder and surmise that they are not going to let that smart-**** have the item just because he has a wad of cash (or equivalent) and so the bidding war commences.

This has nothing to do with what the item is actually worth, but is manna from heaven for the auctioneer.

• RMweb Premium

The item in question is one of the old style Triang origin badly misshaped Class 37 shells which are two a penny on any junk pile at local shows.  The supposed fact it is the last every Hornby item made at Margate is irrelevant when the item gets to its (in my opinion mad) new owner as without any certificate of authenticity to back up its provenance, when that collector (for it has to be surely?) passes away, any valuer going through the estate will just see 'another' old Triang origin Class 37 body shell and either sell it for a couple of quid or consign it straight to landfill.