RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

I was watching a bidding on a set of 18 Hornby railroad HAA hoppers that went for £122.07 including postage. Putting google up, and searching for Hornby r6606 the triple pack the second search result came up with wonderland toys. 6triple packs (18wagons) plus postage worked out at £114.89.

So someone paid more for secondhand than new, that took a whole 2 mins to figure out?

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone who has followed this thread for a while. Perhaps the surprise is that it's only just over the new price, not twice as much.

I wonder if Hattons are still attempting to sell "pre-owned" models for more than *they* are selling the same thing new? That one is a bit more surprising.

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Certainly is a rare livery for a 1st generation DMU...

But since they've also made a "double ended" 110 this was presumably intended as a "might have been", and I don't see anything wrong with that.

It probably seemed like a really good idea when he brought the aerosol can of weathering paint!

A prime example of how to totally ruin a really nice loco in a matter of minutes! What a shame - what an expensive mistake!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-o-gauge-western-hero-maroon-weathered/301619903387?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dc78b853a309a43c6bb5c3d5377d8e062%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D301619903387

• RMweb Premium

It probably seemed like a really good idea when he brought the aerosol can of weathering paint!

A prime example of how to totally ruin a really nice loco in a matter of minutes! What a shame - what an expensive mistake!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-o-gauge-western-hero-maroon-weathered/301619903387?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dc78b853a309a43c6bb5c3d5377d8e062%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D301619903387

Nah - not ruined completely as it's not "professionally weathered"...........................

Cheers,

Mick

They missed the windows, otherwise it would have been finescale.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

They missed the windows, otherwise it would have been finescale.

Andy

That's it - a "professionally weathered" model would have completely obscured windows................................

Cheers,

Mick

edit: typo

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Is there a loco hiding under all that cr*p? :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Certainly is a rare livery for a 1st generation DMU...

But since they've also made a "double ended" 110 this was presumably intended as a "might have been", and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Apart from the yellow paint bleeding under the masking tape?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Keith

And why is the inner end of the power car painted yellow too?

• RMweb Premium

Keith

I was only referring to the fictitious elements of the model. I didn't intend to discuss the quality of the work. And here's why:

In this thread I see a lot of criticism of the quality of kit-building and alterations to models. I think this is fair enough when people are weathering or modifying models specifically for sale, and doing a bad job of it.

But this looks as if it was a genuine attempt to produce something different done for someone's own benefit, which is now being sold on. On this board I see a lot of criticism of the fact that these days most people buy ready-to-run models and run them out of the box, rather than doing "proper modelling", and there are plenty of posters encouraging people to have a go themselves.

Then I come here and see posters making fun of something made by someone who has tried to do just that. There are some extremely skilled modellers on this board. Some of us will never be able to do work to their quality. And even these people had to start somewhere. When I think of having a go at repainting or improving rolling stock (as opposed to just working on the layout itself), I then imagine what I've done being sold on ebay at some point in the future and people using it as an object of ridicule because my modelling skills are so far from perfect.

I realise that it is not necessarily the same people making both sets of comments, but it is rather off-putting.

There. I've got that off my chest.

Postscript: This may horrify some people here, but looking at the pictures again, if I'd attempted a repaint into a fairly complex livery like that and managed it that well, I'd be fairly pleased with myself (apart from the paint bleed on the new yellow end).

(Minor edit to make text clearer)
Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Gold

I'm not so sure people on here are ridculing those who 'have a go' and would hope I never stoop to that.

What does get ridiculed on here and IMHO rightly so, is when poor or fair amateur attempts get over hyped, especially the 'professionally weathered' hype.

When modified stock is advertised as to a 'fair standard' or somesuch realistic description, then my perception is that posters on here hold back from sticking the boot in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not so sure people on here are ridculing those who 'have a go' and would hope I never stoop to that.

What does get ridiculed on here and IMHO rightly so, is when poor or fair amateur attempts get over hyped, especially the 'professionally weathered' hype.

When modified stock is advertised as to a 'fair standard' or somesuch realistic description, then my perception is that posters on here hold back from sticking the boot in.

I think that's a fair point, and I'd agree that the description here is rather over the top.

Though I'm sure they're right that it is "Very rare to find one in such good condition and livery."

I think without fear of hyperbole you could call it unique.

Perhaps I've been guilty of misinterpreting the targets of ridicule here. 

• RMweb Premium

I was only referring to the fictitious elements of the model. I didn't intend to discuss the quality of the work. And here's why:

In this thread I see a lot of criticism of the quality of kit-building and alterations to models. I think this is fair enough when people are weathering or modifying models specifically for sale, and doing a bad job of it.

But this looks as if it was a genuine attempt to produce something different done for someone's own benefit, which is now being sold on. On this board I see a lot of criticism of the fact that these days most people buy ready-to-run models and run them out of the box, rather than doing "proper modelling", and there are plenty of posters encouraging people to have a go themselves.

Then I come here and see posters making fun of something made by someone who has tried to do just that. There are some extremely skilled modellers on this board. Some of us will never be able to do work to their quality. And even these people had to start somewhere. When I think of having a go at repainting or improving rolling stock (as opposed to just working on the layout itself), I then imagine what I've done being sold on ebay at some point in the future and people using it as an object of ridicule because my modelling skills are so far from perfect.

I realise that it is not necessarily the same people making both sets of comments, but it is rather off-putting.

There. I've got that off my chest.

Postscript: This may horrify some people here, but looking at the pictures again, if I'd attempted a repaint into a fairly complex livery like that and managed it that well, I'd be fairly pleased with myself (apart from the paint bleed on the new yellow end).

(Minor edit to make text clearer)

It is quoted as being in "good" condition.

The paintwork, IMHO, varies from fairly good to downright poor.

Look at the yellow at the LH end of the 'double-ended' carriage. It is very iffy. *

I would like to think even my rubbish efforts are better than that. Not that I have done much painting recently.

It's the inabilty/reluctance for sellers to put an honest description to the work that gets me. If they did, the "ebay madness" pages on here would wither somewhat.

I know everybody like to think their's is the best ever, but e-bay descriptions are quite often ridiculously over hyped.

*(Just wait 'til I get my spray gun up and running, then we will see some horror stories) :jester:

Keith