Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

I don't think we can reasonably expect a similar compendium of data on here - who would constitute the road-test team, anyway?

There is a "bookazine" available which goes some way to doing that. I can't remember the title or author, but I have seen it in Smiffs.

Ed

Guest baldrick25

I know "there's always someone out there who needs it" covers a lot of odd items, but this really does take some beating in the cr*p for sale stakes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-DUBLO-DOORS-SR-LONG-WHEELBASE-UTILITY-VAN-/390276063919?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5ade4422af

Love the bit of text ""Stated postage includes a substantial handling charge to balance the low start price""...

£3.49 postage when less than 50p would cover it, I guess. So its not just post and packing then?

The listing is breaking Ebay rules, no loading of postage to cover low bidding is allowed , the seller is open to a complaint being made against him. He should have quoted postage and placed a reserve start price to minimise his risk of a low value sale costing him money.

People should read the rules on Bidding and Selling, they are not complex, but some sellers, especially Buy it now from the FE, load the postage to make the headline price low.

• RMweb Premium

The listing is breaking Ebay rules, no loading of postage to cover low bidding is allowed , the seller is open to a complaint being made against him. He should have quoted postage and placed a reserve start price to minimise his risk of a low value sale costing him money.

People should read the rules on Bidding and Selling, they are not complex, but some sellers, especially Buy it now from the FE, load the postage to make the headline price low.

That may be true, however if a complaint is made would ebay do anything anyway?

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't quite capture the essence of the Malvern shape, sadly! As a generic "old car" it has some merit, but no more Morgan than many '30s vehicles, I feel.

• RMweb Gold

Greedy , simply greedy..............

maybe so, but these things do fetch silly money, I bought a Hornby one pretty cheaply for someone, who then changed his mind - I sold it on eBay for in excess of £20 a few years ago .....

As it keeps getting said, the price is only what someone is prepared to pay, if he has set his BIN too high, it won't sell and his fees will be wasted.

• RMweb Gold

Not the normal fare on this thread, I know, but this item really appeals as the ultimate fantasy railway curio. A railway line that nearly was, only Hitler and the Green Belt getting in its way. As it is, you have to walk from Edgware.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330511743725&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not the normal fare on this thread, I know, but this item really appeals as the ultimate fantasy railway curio. A railway line that nearly was, only Hitler and the Green Belt getting in its way. As it is, you have to walk from Edgware.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330511743725&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you come from central London.

From the end of my road in Hemel Hempstead you could at one time catch the 302 bus. :lol:

If any one knows where I can get 4mm decals for this route I would be very grateful. Been OOP at Modelmaster for years.

Bernard

From the same seller of the SR 'doors' is TAG which really takes the P... for postage costs. Perhaps it was 'heavy string'.

Someone wanted it! @99p. Actually useful to collectors, as are the HD doors, though new Wrenn ones are available on eBay.

Now these from the same seller are expensive!

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5ade44216b

as can be seen here

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&Parts%2520Type=Nuts%252F%2520Bolts&_nkw=meccano%20nuts&_dmpt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

• RMweb Gold

How about a new year resolution not to promote this seller?

He only needs to sell a small percentage of his stuff at these prices to make a good living.

I think it's called niche marketing. He does do it rather well.

Bernard

I ought really to do a delve through a certain auction catalogue and results sheet to see what he paid for some of that stuff. If he is the bloke I think he is (choice of several) he is a big buyer who stocks up at auctions and then sells on via Ebay - the auction room I attend sees 3 or 4 of these characters regularly and they spend big bucks, hence their selling-on prices I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

In all fairness I've not seen an Aifix railbus in the original box on e-bay for a long long time. I was more suprised at the Drewery shunter (again in the original style of packaging) that went for for thity six quid when there was an example on 'buy it now' for just under a tenner.