EBay madness

Marcyg

Bibby Line - :blink:. Was this not just a standard production model? The premier boxed set is available for cheaper!

I found a few which I presume to be mistakes...

Skaledale Lineside Hut and AWS

Triang toad... £1.99... but check out the postage! Again, probably a mistake :lol:

Nellie - similar situation. Decimal problems...

Bibby Line - :blink:. Was this not just a standard production model? The premier boxed set is available for cheaper!

I found a few which I presume to be mistakes...

Skaledale Lineside Hut and AWS

Triang toad... £1.99... but check out the postage! Again, probably a mistake :lol:

Nellie - similar situation. Decimal problems...

I have one of those brake vans ready for re-wheeling for the kids layout, maybe I should sell it instead at that price :)

• RMweb Gold

How do most of us spell Dapol? Probably not like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-DAPLO-WAGONS-EXCLUSIVE-TUTBURY-JINNY-MODELS-/110639043665?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19c299d451, yet this chap has another 10 items all headed the same way. Now I never sneer at folk with dyslexia, but as the other 20+ items are all spelt very well, I see no reason to think that is the problem.

There was recently a thread on here with the same word misspelt the same way (Daplo), both in the title and the thread body. A quick search just now failed to locate it, so maybe the member (possibly the same person as the Ebay seller?) spotted and corrected the error. At the time it was posted, I'd initially read it as "Duplo", which led to thoughts of a totally different kind of modelling...

I find this Hornby L&YR Class 21 Pug 51218 to be a clear rip off.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-0-4-0ST-Pug-Locomotive-VERY-RARE-/250759206221?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a6269d54d

This has been floating around on ebay for a few weeks now. No wonder he has not been able to sell it! I would certainly not spend that type of money on Pug. I will say that I love Pugs, but not that much!

Garethp8873.

I find this Hornby L&YR Class 21 Pug 51218 to be a clear rip off.

It's the curse of Ebay again, where 'rare' is ironically the most common word you'll find. 51218 is the easiest to find of the BR black L&Y pugs, from experience. 51235 (the 'C' suffixed version of this model) was the hardest, but still mass produced to the point that 'rare' is an abuse of the word.

It's the curse of Ebay again, where 'rare' is ironically the most common word you'll find. 51218 is the easiest to find of the BR black L&Y pugs, from experience. 51235 (the 'C' suffixed version of this model) was the hardest, but still mass produced to the point that 'rare' is an abuse of the word.

I do remember one time on ebay were Rails of Sheffield were selling a LMS Pug 11232 (this being the first one Hornby made). I have two of this version in my collection one being bought for £25 and the other £20. The Rails of Sheffield Pug went for between £45 and £50! In the case of rarity, I find the LMS Pug 11250 to be the rarer of the Hornby LMS Pugs. As for the BR version I find either 51235 or 51218 appear less. Mind with the release of the Pug this year, I feel the demand will drop.

Another thing I found to be ridiculous on ebay, is the desire for the 2000/2001 Bachmann LTD Collectors Club Wagon S.J.Claye Ltd. Everytime I see one of these wagons pop on ebay, they go for insane prices! I myself have been looking for one of these wagons mainly because I like the livery. Another wagon is the Bachmann Kalchester Tank Wagon. I was lucky enough to win this last year with three other Tankers for around 18.00.

Garethp8873.

It makes me think that as a BR blue modeller I should relinquish from my collection my collection of L&Y pugs. There are five in my collection, including Dapol #19 in L&Y lined black. But then, I have a soft spot for them and the insane silly bidders never seem to find any of my auctions. That said, they did find my Father's auction for an old caravan awning, and started a bidding war that netted him more than it would have cost to buy an awning new of the same size.

My Father was, understandably, quite pleased. At the same sitting he sold a band saw to a man who hadn't read that he had to collect in person, so ended up having to forfeit his money and leave my Father to sell it a second time. Canada was a bit of a way to come from and collect really.

As for Bachmann wagons, anything past the Chas Roberts tanker (2004?) I suspect are produced in larger numbers than some of the gneral release items, so aren't worth much at all. I joined the club in 2002, so my first wagon is the Marcroft wagons black one (which I do rather like). However, they do not fit well with a BR blue modeller, though will give my NRM GCR 8K something to pull*.

*I'm a woman and therefore have an "oh siny!" impulse buy mode that is easily triggered around shoes, handbags, and pre-grouping trains, apparently.

• RMweb Gold

*I'm a woman and therefore have an "oh siny!" impulse buy mode that is easily triggered around shoes, handbags, and pre-grouping trains, apparently.

Within this forum I do not think your sex marks you out. While the shoes - and certainly the handbags - may not be the objects of desire for so many men, we regularly see "True Confessions" on here of impulse buys that aren't the era, Region or even scale that the buyer normally models. The market relies upon a % of sales from such human frailty - and long may it continue. This is supposed to be fun!

• RMweb Gold

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270698313154&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is madness! You could join the N Gauge Society (with all the benefits of the bi-monthly journal etc), and buy two and a half of these from the NGS shop for that price!

I have often wondered what would happen if one asked the seller a "question" since I think these appear on the item page. Suppose the question were along the lines of your logical thinking - we could destroy the market for that item at a stroke! I suspect expulsion from ebay would follow quite soon.......

No it appears an independent seller, as the Society only sells to members, and the seller must be a member.disposing of a rare item, joining costs money, and just to get an item may not be a practical way to purchase it.

Value is in the eye of the buyer, not just the seller, and items can sell for what people will pay for them.

Stephen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270698313154&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is madness! You could join the N Gauge Society (with all the benefits of the bi-monthly journal etc), and buy two and a half of these from the NGS shop for that price!

Cheers,

Alan

Went for £52.29 also there is a Impetus WB 16" 0-6-0 ST currently at £124.24.

• RMweb Premium

For some reason (probably because I need a few I would wager :lol: ) the price being shelled out for Hornby Networker parts, particularly body shells has been increasing dramatically in the last few weeks, however this quite frankly is taking the wee wee:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390284200271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Who the hell is buying them all up (and I am pretty sure it is just the one person who is hoarding all these!) and just how many 465's are they building from them!!

For some reason (probably because I need a few I would wager :lol: ) the price being shelled out for Hornby Networker parts, particularly body shells has been increasing dramatically in the last few weeks, however this quite frankly is taking the wee wee:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Who the hell is buying them all up (and I am pretty sure it is just the one person who is hoarding all these!) and just how many 465's are they building from them!!

Absolutely crazy. 8 Bodyshells plus a few chassis and glazing sell for £216.11.