EBay madness

Marcyg

So if I understand this correctly, and correct me if I am wrong here, this guy is selling a very crummy (being generous) photograph/negative of a D10xx Western which he thinks is actually a secret 'strategic reserve' type conspiracy as it contains parts of D0260?

Yes, all that plus describing the Western as a Class 47! That was the bit I took so long to get. I saw the picture of the Western, and 'Lion' and 'Class 47' mentioned in the auction title. At first I thought there were at least 3 pictures in the auction - the Western, 'Lion' and a Class 47. I opened the auction, saw that there were only two, including 'Lion' and thought someone had been putting up several different pictures in separate auctions, and had left the description of a Class 47 from an earlier auction with the picture of the Western (things like that do happen!). I started reading the blurb, and got to about 6 lines from the end before I realised that he was describing the Western as a Class 47!

I see that Gostude is pulling our collective plonkers again with this over ambitious offering.

.... and this

..... and this

I could list lots more but there's no sport in it.

Wow he really must catch some real suckers out there.... he has got more neck than a giraffe with some of these prices for what is tat.

• RMweb Gold

Wow he really must catch some real suckers out there.... he has got more neck than a giraffe with some of these prices for what is tat.

Overpriced? YES.

Tat? NO. Please be fair; if the items are as described, then they certainly are not tat.

• RMweb Gold

Tat? NO. Please be fair; if the items are as described, then they certainly are not tat.

Point taken, but I think we each have a different definition of "tat". A 30-year old Tri-ang diesel would be tat for some even if it had never been out of the box, because they would regard it as inferior to state-of-the-art C21 Chinese models.

• RMweb Gold

how about a chunk of genuine early GWR flat bottom rail?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2310ba0049

I'd best be looking out my piece of 'genuine GWR flat bottom rail' if that's the sort of money it might make (and I hope the seller has checked to make sure it's a piece without the rolling date or manufacturers name showing in any way)laugh1.gif

Point taken, but I think we each have a different definition of "tat". A 30-year old Tri-ang diesel would be tat for some

Time moves on, its 40 years old since Triang collapsed. If only we still had the model shops we had then with the huge range of bits and pieces that they all seemed to stock.

how about a chunk of genuine early GWR flat bottom rail?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2310ba0049

I must raid my Father's workshop if that sells. He has a foot long section of rail that has been used for a great many years as an anvil. The bloke who gave it to him got it many years earlier whilst working at Horwich loco works. With a gas axe I'm sure I could get six or seven slices out of that foot length :P

Total Lunacy, lucky seller!!! :cry:

Can I have some ??? Please?

Cheers, Peter C.

Call me paranoid, but the bids by the person who came second look a little suspicious to me. Who bids £49, unless they are anxious to not actually win the item? Given that a complete new Pannier can't be much more, it is a very odd final price that would leave me suspecting shilling.

Time moves on, its 40 years old since Triang collapsed. If only we still had the model shops we had then with the huge range of bits and pieces that they all seemed to stock.

Something I don't understand is why were most of the layouts from this era so crap, when materials were so plentiful...?

Something I don't understand is why were most of the layouts from this era so crap, when materials were so plentiful...?

Because a lot of the materials that were so plentiful and readily available weren't actually all that good? Gone are the days when there was a massive choice of layout trees that all looked suspiciously like assorted sizes of bog brushes dipped in varnish and scatter.

• RMweb Gold

Call me paranoid, but the bids by the person who came second look a little suspicious to me. Who bids £49, unless they are anxious to not actually win the item? Given that a complete new Pannier can't be much more, it is a very odd final price that would leave me suspecting shilling.

Sometimes bids will be for 'odd' amounts for very simple reasons but usually because a careful buyer will tot up the total amount he can afford to spend including the P&P and knock that off to arrive at how much he/she can bid - there is always a difference between 'hammer price' and the total cost of a bid in most sorts of auction. And also you get the 'chancer' who will push so far in the hope that going just under a readily recognisable amount might work - a very common practice with auction commission bids and surprising (in some categories) just how often it pays offwink.gif (e.g. who else collects Pre-Grouping railway company excursion handbills.)