EBay madness

Marcyg

I kid you not........... a PC Keyboard advertised on Ebay...........

"100% Brand New.

Full size keyboard with numeric keypad included

Material: made by height quality silicone, non poisonous and evil"

"height quality silicone" and "Evil".............:diablo_mini:

Stpehen.

Is that the same stuff that goes into mammary implants? :blink:

No.......but another Hong Kong PC keyboard seller assures us......

"No poisonous and evil smell according to requirement of the environmental protection."

Black Wartime LNER Coaches news to me , the price is even more unbeleivable for old Hornbys sprayed Black and added bizarre lettering . The last lot went for over £70 :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Phineas T. Barnum's 'Law of Applied Economics' is proved yet again! :laugh:

Four sets of loco transfers??? :mellow:

Plus another 25p each if you allow for p&p.

Now standing at £4.81 for the four pressings :blink:

Copper chimney from the same chap is a bit pricey as well.

I happen to know the seller is none other than Malcolm Mitchell himself :blink:

Perhaps we should take up the repaint business...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19c6b68d2b

and this is a bit OTT, even if it were a Dublo coupling and not Jouef/Playcraft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-00-Gauge-Replacement-Metal-Coupling-/150625626887?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2311fcab07

• RMweb Premium

I was watching a Hornby 'Limby' Class 101 in blue/grey that was advertised as a non runner yet bizarrely it went for about the same you could get a new mint boxed working one for. Does NO ONE read descriptions any more?!?

The fact that it IS still possible to pick up a bargain on eBay (I've recently picked up a near mint Bachmann 4MTT for £37, a Bachmann Mk1 SK which needed 2 minutes' worth of work for £8.50, and a mint Hornby 08 for £41, amongst others) makes these all the more worrying! We've all paid over the odds once in a while in the excitement of wanting something quickly, but it appears patience really is the key!

• RMweb Gold

Evidence - if any were ever needed! - that the Trades Descriptions Act does not apply to ebay adverts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-GOOD-PLASTIC-KIT-BUILT-SR-GOODS-VAN-/350473965981?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5199e0519d

Very good? What must his idea of rubbish be like? This sad item appears to have an ill-fitting roof, and hand-painted lettering - the latter probably better than I could manage, but surely no-one's idea of "Very Good"!

In case I'm being too fussy, and you'd like to buy, the same seller has another similar masterpiece, by the way.

• RMweb Premium

I've bought a number of kit-built wagons & vans off that seller and I too think "very good" is a bit misleading. From experience it seems to mean it's complete with all buffers, couplings etc; "with problems" means bits missing. He obviously buys in lots from various sources so the build quality is very varied, some barely run. To me, if they're cheaper than the kit they're a piece of stock. The work required to bring them to a reasonable standard (from repaints to total dismantling) is modelling, so enjoyable. That van however looks like a scratch body on a kit wooden underframe and I'd leave it.

Pete

Mint, but runs a bit slow!

link

If he/she said cosmetics are mint but runs a bit slow, then fare enough. When you read the description......

Hornby 4-6-0 HOGWARTS CASTLE . RIGHT SIDE BUFFER HAS A SMALL SPLIT.

NEVER BEEN USED. TEST RUN ONLY. RUNS A BIT SLOW

Somehow I think it has been run, how can you split a buffer without taking it out to run and droping it in the process

• RMweb Gold

I've bought a number of kit-built wagons & vans off that seller and I too think "very good" is a bit misleading. From experience it seems to mean it's complete with all buffers, couplings etc; "with problems" means bits missing. He obviously buys in lots from various sources so the build quality is very varied, some barely run. To me, if they're cheaper than the kit they're a piece of stock. The work required to bring them to a reasonable standard (from repaints to total dismantling) is modelling, so enjoyable. That van however looks like a scratch body on a kit wooden underframe and I'd leave it.

Pete

Entirely reasonable and good for you, as you obviously have the skills to turn a sow's ear into a silk-ish purse! I'm aware that one or two RMWebbers take ebay basket-cases and enjoy revealing the gold beneath. I just feel the seller makes himself look foolish when the picture tells such a different story!

• RMweb Gold

Evidence - if any were ever needed! - that the Trades Descriptions Act does not apply to ebay adverts.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5199e0519d

Very good? What must his idea of rubbish be like? This sad item appears to have an ill-fitting roof, and hand-painted lettering - the latter probably better than I could manage, but surely no-one's idea of "Very Good"!

In case I'm being too fussy, and you'd like to buy, the same seller has another similar masterpiece, by the way.

OOh, I know where he gets stuff - I've just had a look through his site and lo & behold there are some items which I sold at auction a few months ago plus some other things which were in the same auction. So his gross profit margin for more common or garden stuff is around 100-150% while for stuff like this wagon he is looking at - depending what else was in the lot - at least 200% based on his starting prices.

• RMweb Gold

OOh, I know where he gets stuff - I've just had a look through his site and lo & behold there are some items which I sold at auction a few months ago plus some other things which were in the same auction. So his gross profit margin for more common or garden stuff is around 100-150% while for stuff like this wagon he is looking at - depending what else was in the lot - at least 200% based on his starting prices.

Ooops! Have I insulted your painting and lettering, Mike? Slapped wrist!

• RMweb Gold

Ooops! Have I insulted your painting and lettering, Mike? Slapped wrist!

No Ian - that very definitely was not in the lot which I soldtongue.gif.

I recognised stuff currently in his 'shop' from at least 4 different lots at that auction although some of it is very common of course so could have come via other routes. However the Hornby-Dublo/Crescent/Triang signals are definitely out of my lot unless there are two Triang signals which have beed damaged in precisely the same way. I get the impression that he probably goes for cheaper 'boxed lots' which can contain all sorts of stuff and where a lot of the fun lies in finding out exactly what you've bought when you get home from the auction and examine it at leisure - my lot that he bought contained the unwanted residue from three such boxed lots which I had bought for other parts of their contents and then put the leftovers (less what went in the dustbin) back in. Next stage is along comes someone like him who buys that sort of lot and then Ebays stuff off as individual items over a period of time.

It is interesting to watch this thread and look out for stuff which I have seen at auction re-emerge as an Ebay lot - usually at quite a mark up of course but then I doubt if all of the buyers can clear everything quickly so they are carrying a cost until they sell. Overall I suppose it is not entirely a bad thing for the hobby although there is definitely some nigh incredible profiteering - I have seen things come up in this thread that go for as much as 6 or 7 times what the Ebay seller had paid for them; one chap who outbid me on a load of Nu-Cast kits etc kits (I only wanted a couple of them) made over £1,000 gross profit in less than two weeks on something he had paid £250 for. I've occasionally sold surplus stuff from lots on RMWeb but I've just put a price on them which covers what they cost me in order to get shot of stuff I don't want - I'm just not into the hassle of Ebay.