Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

7 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

They sell rubbish as mystery boxes. Sam's trains bought one recently. Even he said they are just selling rubbish!

Don't Rocket have a market stall operation for that sort of stuff?

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Do sorts suffer many medical conditions? I imagine Miss R provides TLC to all sorts!

Definitely not, she'd make a lousy MD as she doesn't like actual people very much, it's just the quirks of genetics that interest her. 

Any thoughts on the wheelie bin full of mystery objects?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You can sell anything on ebay - a pig in a poke (three sold already) ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391676576877

Or there's that old favourite of money for old rope ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204038429994

Years ago, when eBay was just emerging, the BBC did a news report about selling old rope. They made a small profit...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:
8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Definitely not, she'd make a lousy MD as she doesn't like actual people very much,

Sounds like a lady of excellent taste and good sense, Paul; I very strongly approve.   Like most people who have ever worked with the general public, I absolutely agree with her!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We've all been hit with that at some point. I'm not even sure that it's legit?

Rightly or wrongly, sniping software is legit. As you say, we've probably all been zapped by a snipe bid at some point, if we're last moment bidders.

Mark

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We've all been hit with that at some point. I'm not even sure that it's legit?

Of course it's legit.

It is open to bidders to use an agent to bid for them - you don't think all those millionaires spend all day sitting in the auction room at Christies to bid on some famous oil painting do you?  They send a trusted minion to do so, or arrange to bid by phone or via the internet.  And it is open to anybody to leave it as late in the day to decide to bid, as long as they do before the hammer falls.

Using sniping software as your agent is just a way of making sure your bid gets in before the deadline whilst keeping your powder dry on how high you are willing to go. 

If you really want something, bid the most you are prepared to pay for it - that should not depend on what other people might think it's worth, and at the end of the auction either somebody else will have been prepared to pay even more, or you will win, quite probably at a lower figure than your maximum.

• Like 3

I was simply asking whether it violated any of eBay's myriad of rules, they seemingly being a law unto themselves, perhaps I should have been clearer about what I actually meant.

Having attended, (or rather not attended) plenty of live auctions for everything from classic bikes, cars, antiques and militaria I'm quite aware of how the distance bidding system works.

I generally put in my maximum bid and walk away. Getting into auction fever online or a t1t for tat battle with a rival in the sale room only ever results in busting any possible profit if you're reselling or regret if you're keeping an item.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I was simply asking whether it violated any of eBay's myriad of rules, they seemingly being a law unto themselves, perhaps I should have been clearer about what I actually meant.

Having attended, (or rather not attended) plenty of live auctions for everything from classic bikes, cars, antiques and militaria I'm quite aware of how the distance bidding system works.

I generally put in my maximum bid and walk away. Getting into auction fever online or a t1t for tat battle with a rival in the sale room only ever results in busting any possible profit if you're reselling or regret if you're keeping an item.

When you link your ebay account to the sniping software, ebay asks for you to give permission for their system to interact with ebay. In my eyes that legitimises it (and passes the blame for missed bids squarely on the crew.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, 40152 said:

If you’re modelling modern image somewhere in a fracking zone, I suppose this might be surprisingly accurate and worth the slightly fruity price tag:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125527424625?hash=item1d3a047e71:g:U60AAOSwIWtjJeaP

It puts me more in mind of a signal box that has strayed too close to a sinkhole. I dread to think what the railway line must be like!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

When you link your ebay account to the sniping software, ebay asks for you to give permission for their system to interact with ebay. In my eyes that legitimises it (and passes the blame for missed bids squarely on the crew.

Exactly so - and if you think about it, eBay's raison d'être is basically to make money. Usually, the higher the winning bid, then the more money it makes, and permitting sniping software achieves this at no additional cost to eBay. QED.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, 40152 said:

If you’re modelling modern image somewhere in a fracking zone, I suppose this might be surprisingly accurate and worth the slightly fruity price tag:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125527424625?hash=item1d3a047e71:g:U60AAOSwIWtjJeaP

Far to bent to be subject to fracking or a sink hole.  With the bend in the chimney, looks more like its suffering from Sulphate (Sulfate if you are American) attack in the mortar.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Seeing how often eBay vendors declare that a locomotive "Has not been tested" due to not having a layout or controller, I am going to open a little topic in the "Power, Control & DCC-Electrics (non-DCC)" thread detailing how one might test a locomitive using nothing more than a PP3/6LR 9v battery and progress to a "simple" reversing power supply using the PP3, a DPDT switch of the centre off persuasion and a battery holder*.

I realise that the eBay vendor ought to be able to lay their hands on a basic mains controller to test their woeful locos for not much more than my component parts, but eh!

Its eBay Madness!!!

* The DPDT switch and battery holder came from ebay too...

After lunch and mature reflection, all the above is too much faff.  Just stick a PP3 across the wheels. Jobs a goodun!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3