Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

'All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in rmweb! A day in rmweb is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I *love* rmweb!' 😎

I feel like I'm chewing a cigar just reading that 😆

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Yes I know its not eBay but it is madness and therefore qualifies surely?

And I was looking for the answer to using Peco diamond crossings and their geometry. =sigh=

https://www.vxdeal.com/?product_id=87936438_48

Small medium or large !

PECO CODE 75 AND CODE 100 - DIFFERENCE!

Buy now!

If that's Peco track I'm a banana, but they do guarantee its authenticity, so that's ok then.

56802511_xvdealpecotrack.jpg.67d8e78381ee9153fa4da2c28c67c557.jpg

Sorry I won't call you Shirley any more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Choose a better background next time

because that duvet is somewhat off-putting…

Cheers

Darius

But it serves its intended purpose well, in that you can’t actually see any real detail on the item for sale (especially with all the extra shadows)!

I bet the sentence “Please look carefully at the photographs as these form part of the description” can be found somewhere in the listing!

HOURS OF MADNESS! *

* I’m MD for the musical, “Our House”! 

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Choose a better background next time

because that duvet is somewhat off-putting…

Cheers

Darius

"The model is in very good condition apart from a few bit of sticky stuff on top of the wagon which I’m guessing..."

I'd be more concerned about the potential origins of the sticky stuff on that duvet the model is sitting on.

Those stains look grim.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 25/09/2022 at 18:56, Michael Hodgson said:

Of course it's legit.

It is open to bidders to use an agent to bid for them - you don't think all those millionaires spend all day sitting in the auction room at Christies to bid on some famous oil painting do you?  They send a trusted minion to do so, or arrange to bid by phone or via the internet.  And it is open to anybody to leave it as late in the day to decide to bid, as long as they do before the hammer falls.

But a late bid will result in the auction being extended to allow other bidders to respond. Very different to ebay where the hammer falls at a fixed time.

On 25/09/2022 at 18:56, Michael Hodgson said:

If you really want something, bid the most you are prepared to pay for it - that should not depend on what other people might think it's worth, and at the end of the auction either somebody else will have been prepared to pay even more, or you will win, quite probably at a lower figure than your maximum.

WOW! Someone who actually understands how ebay works 🙂 That's always my policy, bid what I'm prepared to pay. If I win I'm happy, if I lose there'll probably be another one along soon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 26/09/2022 at 07:21, MarkC said:

Exactly so - and if you think about it, eBay's raison d'être is basically to make money. Usually, the higher the winning bid, then the more money it makes, and permitting sniping software achieves this at no additional cost to eBay. QED.

If that's true then it causes buyers to pay more!!!

But it's not true. Items sell for the highest bid, whether it was placed in the opening or dying seconds of the auction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crosland said:

If that's true then it causes buyers to pay more!!!

But it's not true. Items sell for the highest bid, whether it was placed in the opening or dying seconds of the auction.

M'yes, but using sniping software allows someone who might not be able to be present at the end of an auction to put their maximum bid in early, then let the cards fall as they will, as it were.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The model is Located in Staines!? 🤓

We're getting into alleged Captain Pugwash territory here...

( And while we're there, the cabin boy was actually called Tom )

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, MarkC said:

M'yes, but using sniping software allows someone who might not be able to be present at the end of an auction to put their maximum bid in early, then let the cards fall as they will, as it were.

Which is exactly what the ebay system lets you do!!!

Bid what you are prepared to pay. The proxy bidding system does the rest.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Crosland said:

Which is exactly what the ebay system lets you do!!!

Bid what you are prepared to pay. The proxy bidding system does the rest.

But, and this is the key point, only if you're prepared to show your hand early. Many people don't.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Hattons,  a  hundred and  fifty five sheets for a Hornby Class 31 that is just starting its transformation into a banana judging by the alarming angle of the chassis underneath the cabs....

https://www.hattons.co.uk/977409/hornby_r3661_po07_class_31_d5509_in_br_green_pre_owned_tts_decoder_fitted_like_new_box/stockdetail

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Hattons,  a  hundred and  fifty five sheets for a Hornby Class 31 that is just starting its transformation into a banana judging by the alarming angle of the chassis underneath the cabs....

https://www.hattons.co.uk/977409/hornby_r3661_po07_class_31_d5509_in_br_green_pre_owned_tts_decoder_fitted_like_new_box/stockdetail

I've got a BR blue Lima one that's in a better condition than that

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Interesting phrase "Like new box"... this can be taken several ways

Spiv on a corner...psst Like new box?

Or do you - like new box

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265907664848?hash=item3de954f7d0:g:y9QAAOSwXppjNApc

I know it upsets some members if fun is poked at certain models, but I did wonder how many models were dismembered to build this 'shunter'? 

I quite like that something has been made from the bits that lurk in the bottom of every spares box. 😀 (an entry for "A wild kit-bash appeared" thread?)

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265907664848?hash=item3de954f7d0:g:y9QAAOSwXppjNApc

I know it upsets some members if fun is poked at certain models, but I did wonder how many models were dismembered to build this 'shunter'? 

I don't know what the backend is,  but the 08 bit is probably from a Thriang/Hornby loco, and its mounted on what looks like a Hornby Dublo Weltrol.  Its got other bits of possibly Airfix kit stuck on it in the manner of the recent Hornby Steampunk efforts.

Oh yes, and there appears to be an On/Off switch in the left side of the 08 body...

I like this

I am unsure if this is even motorised but it does have pickups for something.

Someone should tell the vendor to stick a PP3 across the wheels and see what it does!

(Admittedly it doesn't appear to have any drive to the axles)

Edited by Hroth
What the HECK is a Thriang??? :-) And some more erudition...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1