EBay madness

Marcyg

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That depends on how many items you can pile into an old plastic laundry basket labelled "£2 per item" and stick it on your stall at the nearest model railway exhibition?

And then you'd still have the impulse to haggle over the asking price... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

I have long chuckled from the sidelines, wishing to contribute, now here's my chance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373542041368?hash=item56f8d73718:g:~OIAAOSwF3FgeBfZ&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoNedFGtPFLn06OkZVqD9eJAKkVRc%2FxQ4bXtU45tu4%2BXp2HwCmzjxs%2FDSb%2FO3RLHKP69LsajovhlWoSUjg%2FptwYVVdAg29t0MPeXQ64doPblWMgmk7ryVhpdyQaCopo5lX99HG9T%2BPhQoCEpmKtIkKT%2Bg0VOuAXCUg7A%2BwTZxhvjOPbM%2F2LPnXmhUt6FYkdhCLnpMkWqnucDrbhuX97r%2Belc%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_SIlNW1YQ

Cardboard engine shed with broken mechanism to open the doors?  Naaaaaaaaaah I think I'll get another APT 5 car set instead.

(Ok so I suppose someone's listed it already....)

Utter tat. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

And then you'd still have the impulse to haggle over the asking price... 

I was trying as ever, to be generous, but you're right, the label should be reduced to £1 an item and chuck the laundry basket under the stall ..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was trying as ever, to be generous, but you're right, the label should be reduced to £1 an item and chuck the laundry basket under the stall ..

Oh yes, the rooters paradise...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1. Madness? As in "The Rivet Police" my fabled short story now available on Amazon Kindle @75p and no takers? (I'm sticking to my day job)

2. Getting into the swing of gostude on ebay: a 1965 tri-ang farm gates set at £100 or a full 2022 Hornby GWR HST trainset with two power cars, coach, track, trackmat and transformer?

I'll take the latter thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220743416424?epid=2079470346&hash=item3365553a68:g:2DwAAMXQsmFRcg9J

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/01/2023 at 22:24, The Johnster said:

To be fair to whoever did, I doubt I could have made a better job of the freestyle Colas lettering, but to be fair to me, I’d have the sense not to try!

It sold for 30 beer vouchers

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I thought one of the LMS Twins?

4 hours ago, 33C said:

Yes, your right. Any takers!

I don't need a body shell, I've a complete Baccy one in the mid-1957 livery (can't remember if it's 00 or 01), it works fine, and if I could afford it, I'd get it's friend!

But not a body shell...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

Funniest Deltic I've ever seen, maybe its the prototype for the Dublo one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266084594887

I thought it was a D600 Warship as well, but it seems to be the start of an Ivatt twin.  The grille details are not the worst bit of modelling I've ever seen, and the body is some sort of metal by the look of it, I suspect tinplate.  Time was when items like Ivatt Twins were not available from Bachmann, so this was the sort of thing that had to be resorted to if you wanted one, and this was probably intended to sit on top of a Triang EM2 chassis.  I think MTK did a resin bodyshell at one time, but before that, nothing.  The cab window sections are needed to complete the shell, and there is no roof detail; as has been pointed out, there would be very little point in taking this on as a project when there is a very good Bachmann RTR avaialable.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

There was also the Dapol version of the Twins that was commissioned by Hattons which appeared just before the Bachmann version.  Apparently it was a good likeness but lingered for a couple of years on Hattons hands. They sold for about £95 back then and are as rare as hens teeth nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

There was also the Dapol version of the Twins that was commissioned by Hattons which appeared just before the Bachmann version.  Apparently it was a good likeness but lingered for a couple of years on Hattons hands. They sold for about £95 back then and are as rare as hens teeth nowadays.

That's because Gostude, and his ebay like, have them hidden away like a dragon's gold!

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That's because Gostude, and his ebay like, have them hidden away like a dragon's gold!

Whatever we on RMWeb think of him, is is presumably a very successful eBay trader, from the number of transactions he has made (nearly 47,000) and the Feedback rating.

Looking at his feedback comments he also seems to have a number of regular customers. Proof perhaps that their are a lot of people out there willing to pay a lots of money for what we might consider poor and overpriced items.

He also trades in Studebakers where I think his pseudonym comes from Go Studebaker. True to form, his Studebaker currently for sale is notably dearer than the others on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2023 at 22:55, Ducking Giraffe said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373542041368

Cardboard engine shed with broken mechanism to open the doors?  Naaaaaaaaaah I think I'll get another APT 5 car set instead.

I agree the price is barmy, the engine shed and other bits at least look well built though. He's finally reduced the price of his 153 converted form a Dapol 155 to £99 from £125 I see, still about double what it's going to be worth to anyone. Still can't understand his pricing, especially when stuff sits around for so long (he's had the 153 years and the value is only going to go down!), but other items seem to be about right, as some have pointed out on here a few times.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JDW said:

I agree the price is barmy, the engine shed and other bits at least look well built though. He's finally reduced the price of his 153 converted form a Dapol 155 to £99 from £125 I see, still about double what it's going to be worth to anyone. Still can't understand his pricing, especially when stuff sits around for so long (he's had the 153 years and the value is only going to go down!), but other items seem to be about right, as some have pointed out on here a few times.

It could be as simple as he just doesn’t look at the marketplace i.e. other similar items and simply goes “hmmmmm…. I reckon that’s worth xyz….”

I have had two purchases off him that were not far off market value and were of excellent quality and packaged well. Everything apart from his barmy pricing is actually very good service! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

It could be as simple as he just doesn’t look at the marketplace i.e. other similar items and simply goes “hmmmmm…. I reckon that’s worth xyz….”

I have had two purchases off him that were not far off market value and were of excellent quality and packaged well. Everything apart from his barmy pricing is actually very good service! 

There are diamonds in the dogsh!t, they take bit of finding sometimes though.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing that he has a warehouse or a hanger or something, as stock hanging around for years seems not to bother him.  He's got a lot of stuff, and I can see how researching current market prices for hundreds and perhaps thousands of itme is onerous; I imagine he simply puts a standard markup, probably about 50%, on items he's bought separately, and guesses the house-clearance stuff.  Apparently he has an expensive car hobby, so he must be doing ok out of one being born every minute...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1