EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Want something to accompany your “shorty” Mk3 coaches?  Here’s a “shorty Mk1”.

Makes you wonder what the back story to this carriage is? Why did someone shorten a mk1? What scenario would require it? Where was it to be used? 

The product description does nothing to answer any of these, or even what it's background is? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Makes you wonder what the back story to this carriage is? Why did someone shorten a mk1? What scenario would require it? Where was it to be used? 

The product description does nothing to answer any of these, or even what it's background is? 

Looks like the builder thought it would look good with a rake of LMS GUVs, a sort of bogie Stove R.

Or they had short platforms and thought six of those would look better than three full length Mk1s!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Looks like the builder thought it would look good with a rake of LMS GUVs, a sort of bogie Stove R.

Or they had short platforms and thought six of those would look better than three full length Mk1s!

It might be a case of someone sorting through their bits box and finding enough parts to build it. I have a shortened HD/Wrenn horsebox body fitted to an Airfix cattle wagon chassis. I obtained the body missing the doors to the horse compartment. I cut out the horse compartment and joined the two halves together and after a bit of trimming of both body and chassis it fitted together with an interference fit needing to glue or screws to secure body to chassis. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Oh the horror....

I was 11 at the time. It was the first Christmas no.1 in my first year of high school! I used to watch Noels House Party religiously!

That Mr. Blobby suit might actually be a bargain, if it was the one used in the music video, Noel's House Party, the by-election, and, various charity events.

Oh, and, Mr. Blobby's theme park in Morecambe!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

On 27/01/2023 at 09:22, 40152 said:

No matter how low my expectations, RR never fail to disappoint:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115672907976?

Irrespective of the build quality, upon which we don’t comment, asking £6 for this, coming in at a hefty 4/5 on the RR quality scale, is pretty cheeky. Wouldn’t you like to ask ‘exactly which part of a mine was this, before it was abandoned?’ and enjoy the ensuing squirm. Followed by the inevitable question about what planet RR is on to think anyone would part with £6 for it anyway.

In the days before Ebay, stuff like this would have been found only at a church jumble sale for 20p...or the bin. I don't believe for a second that Rocket Railways don't know what they're doing here by trying to sell junk like this other than scamming people of little brain and laughing all the way to the bank over it. It's despicable...and Ebay doesn't give a toss.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

In the days before Ebay, stuff like this would have been found only at a church jumble sale for 20p...or the bin. I don't believe for a second that Rocket Railways don't know what they're doing here by trying to sell junk like this other than scamming people of little brain and laughing all the way to the bank over it. It's despicable...and Ebay doesn't give a toss.

Advertising it for whatever and SELLING the item for that price, are not the same thing.

Is there any evidence that loads of people are buying stuff and tossing it in the bin? Buyer beware still applies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

Advertising it for whatever and SELLING the item for that price, are not the same thing.

Is there any evidence that loads of people are buying stuff and tossing it in the bin? Buyer beware still applies.

True, but they're proving themselves to be unscrupulous by even attempting to sell this poo. No decent human being would.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

True, but they're proving themselves to be unscrupulous by even attempting to sell this poo. No decent human being would.

I don't dispute that, but who is forcing anyone to buy it? That 'abandoned mine building' for instance, is just rubbish (I have several times asked if you don't have rubbished bins emptied in the UK!).

You mentioned that previously it was at the church jumble sale, so nothing has changed. Rocket Railways are just getting their eBay 'score' up by the sheer number of offers and RMweb is actually promoting them.

Any publicity is good publicity.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 18:16, John Besley said:

Just another point that occurred to me today 4588 carried Express passenger livery only after preservation.. looks like some sort of attempt has also been made on this monstrosity, to claim that it is a early 20th century build is a complete trade description fraud 

I've just asked....

" I'm interested in this as 4588 was my regular engine, where was this found?"

Watch this space ...

Just look at the size of that thing and whoever painted it STILL couldn't do the lining properly!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold